Why so little interest in the Oct. 24th meeting?

claud

« on: 16 Oct 2004, 12:34 pm »
Where else are you going to hear the Cain and Cain Abbys, the Von Schwikert db99s, the Fi X integrated, A tuned Cary 308T, and God knows what else other members might bring! Hell, even the Fair will be over!

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2004, 01:47 pm »
I don't know either, Claud... I'm really looking forward to it, though.  
The AC-NC group is pretty subdued overall.  Which is good and bad... no one's going to jump up and down with glee about things but no one's going to 'pitch a fit' when things don't go their way...

At the same time, I was hoping the club would grow a bit but instead it seems to keep shrinking.  My plan is to host a party in December... (mostly social) and ask people to invite some friends.  If that's a flop, then I'll likely turn over the reigns to someone else for the NC club.... or retire it if no one is interested.  
However, if it's a hit, I'll be psyched!  :hyper:

-Carl

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2004, 11:47 am »
Well, I'M enjoying it a lot right now!  As I type, I'm listening to the db99's driven by the Butler 5150.  I just wish my wife would get the hell up so I can crank it up!  Rusty also had a pair of VR-4Jr's he dropped as well.  So we have the Cain's and db99's for hi-eff, and the 3.3's and 4Jr's for 'conventional'.  We have the BC EVO6, Butler, and Fi for amps.  And if that's not enough ...

We have late breaking news ...

Wayne has graciously made us the first stop on the JJAZ monoblocks tour (we edged out the NY Rave) ... he's shipping them out on Monday, so they should be here in time for the meet.

Like the Kotoja liner notes say ... 'If this doesn't make you feel good, you must be dead'  :D

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2004, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Well, I'M enjoying it a lot right now!  As I type, I'm listening to the db99's driven by the Butler 5150.  I just wish my wife would get the hell up so I can crank it up!  Rusty also had a pair of VR-4Jr's he dropped as well.  So we have the Cain's and db99's for hi-eff, and the 3.3's and 4Jr's for 'conventional'.  We have the BC EVO6, Butler, and Fi for amps.  And if that's not enough ...

We have late breaking news ...

Wayne has graciously made us the first stop on the JJAZ monoblocks tour (we edge ...

I'm still working on a few more things as well :)

Tim has been entirely too gracious in moving stuff around in his room to accomodate all the gear....

and less than 5 minutes listening to the dB-99s in a "plunk em down and fire 'em up" listening test told me enough that I want them :)

I'm working on a few folks to increase attendance... I've got a couple other people from outside our group who plan to attend now... I'll keep trying.  I think the more people who get together the better....

claud

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2004, 12:03 pm »
Don't we need one more little preamp ? I wish I had one little solid state pre to bring so we could set up three systems . I think there might be room in that big bonus room if Tim cleared out the HT stuff. Just a thought!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2004, 07:26 pm »
Quote from: claud
Don't we need one more little preamp ? I wish I had one little solid state pre to bring so we could set up three systems . I think there might be room in that big bonus room if Tim cleared out the HT stuff. Just a thought!

I don't think, based on how we moved stuff around, that we can make 3 systems work.... but there's plenty of room for two systems...

I've got more Butlers coming ;).... so we can have butlers in both systems if desired... hopefully they will be here by the weekend...

I also am really hoping that all the Star Sound stuff I ordered will be here by the weekend.... I'm curious to try out their platforms under the components and under the speakers themselves....

I had some more stuff planned that due to back orders isn't going to happen by this weekend........ oh well...

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2004, 07:49 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
I don't think, based on how we moved stuff around, that we can make 3 systems work.... but there's plenty of room for two systems...

I've got more Butlers coming ;).... so we can have butlers in both systems if desired... hopefully they will be here by the weekend...

I also am really hoping that all the Star Sound stuff I ordered will be here by the weekend.... I'm curious to try out their platforms under the components and under the speakers themselves....

I had some more stuff planned that due to back orders isn't going to happen by this weekend........ oh well...

Shane - is that the Seas Excel woofer on the bottom in the DB-99? The VS site shows a different driver.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2004, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: Rick Craig
Shane - is that the Seas Excel woofer on the bottom in the DB-99? The VS site shows a different driver.

yeah... it's been upgraded from the stock woofer... all new db-99s now have the Excel woofer...  these demos were retrofitted with the new woofer... although I believe this particular woofer is not a stock piece available via DIY channels...  different T/S parameters custom done for Albert......  same with the XT series ring tweeter in the VR-4 GenIIIs... it is nowhwere close to the same specs as the stock unit....  which Kevin assures me will make me like the new VR-4 design even though I hate the DIY ring tweeter in everything I've heard it in....

claud

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2004, 08:34 pm »
Shane,
I did not know about the BelCanto pre until I saw Tim's pictures. A SS pre is easier to move from system to system . i.e. no tube warmup. I looked at the Butler website. I take it that the less expensive amps are for car audio?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2004, 08:42 pm »
Quote from: claud
Shane,
I did not know about the BelCanto pre until I saw Tim's pictures. A SS pre is easier to move from system to system . i.e. no tube warmup. I looked at the Butler website. I take it that the less expensive amps are for car audio?

There are really three seperate offerings from Butler Audio.  There is the $12K+ A100 monoblocks that use the 300B tube, and run full class A output...  best amplifier I have ever heard at anywhere near $12K....

Then there is the line of multichannel amps from home use, the TDH 2250 (2 X 250 watts), TDH 3150 (3 X 150 watts), and TDH 5150 (5 X 150 watts).  These are the ones I have at Tim's right now, and more on the way... They give you a lot of the goodness of the A100 monoblocks at a much reduced price point.

Butler is also doing car amplifiers.  Those are the TDB275, TDB475, TDB575, and TDB2150 that are listed on the site...

Inscrutable

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2004, 09:02 am »
Gee Shane, when you said you were working on some more goodies, I was hoping you were getting the A100's back ... too much to hope for  :(

Claud,
Really the two setups are about the best we'll do ... I can slide the platforms around (well, slide is a misnomer, huh Shane?), but I can't make em disappear. But you are right, with these big floorstanders it's hard to get them out of each others way, even in a room this size.

Shane,
I played a track on the 4Jr's last night and they sound much much better now that the BC has warmed up.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2004, 11:43 am »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Gee Shane, when you said you were working on some more goodies, I was hoping you were getting the A100's back ... too much to hope for  :(

Claud,
Really the two setups are about the best we'll do ... I can slide the platforms around (well, slide is a misnomer, huh Shane?), but I can't make em disappear. But you are right, with these big floorstanders it's hard to get them out of each others way, even in a room this size.

Shane,
I played a track on the 4Jr's last night and they sound much much better now that the BC has warmed up.

I'm working on the A100s :)  But I have some more of the 5150s, 3150s, and 2250s coming first...

glad to hear the jr's coming in better...  they might need more break in as well... I don't know how much time there is on them....

I think I've got a few more folks coming over on Sunday, Tim...  I'm trying to fill the place up :)

claud

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2004, 06:41 pm »
Well Tim,
What time is the meeting to start on Saturday and Sunday?

ncaudioo

« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2004, 07:07 pm »
I sent a e-mail from the HT Dr over to the Piedmont audio society so there may be some people form that group over early on Sunday, there is a meeting planned for them for Sunday afternoon in Apex. I'll check with the sponsor and see if he can handle addtional folks from A.C., that would help with cross pollination betweent he groups

Roger

ncaudioo

Peidmont audio society 10-24 meeting 2 PM
« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2004, 08:27 pm »
The next meeting is at Drew Baird's place on October 24, 2004 at 2PM.  He has finished his very impressive new speaker system and it ready to demonstrate it.

Drew Baird
Moon Audio
1008 Antler Court
Apex, NC 27502
919-649-5018

Speakers: DIY ScanSpeak 9700 tweeters/C- Quenze Skaaning 6.5" Midranges/TC Sounds 15" bass drivers
http://www.moon-audio.com/My%20Speaker%20Project/center1.jpg
Transport: Sony DVP7700
Preamp: DIY Borbely SE Balanced ALL-JFET Line Amplifier/ALL-FET Dual regulator/Welborne Labs Power Supply
http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb2000402.asp
Crossover/EQ: DEQX PDC http://www.deqx.com/
Amps: Sunfire Cinema Grand and Sunfire Stereo 300 http://www.sunfire.com/
Cables: All Moon Audio Silver Dragon Interconnects and Speaker wire, Power Cords Moon Audio Blue Dragon http://www.moon-audio.com/
Power Conditioning: Exact Power EP15A and SP15A http://www.moon-audio.com/Exact%20Power.htm

Directions:

From West: Take I-40 West to Exit 278 (route 55). Take route 55 South. After you pass over Route 64 about 11 miles (where there is a Lowes Fresh Foods Store and HomeDepot) start looking for Olive Chapel Road. It is the next major intersection after route 64. Hang a Right on Olive Chapel road go about 2 miles. Look for second entrance/road called Ashley Downs Dr. hang a left here. Hang your first right onto Twelve Oaks Lane, Hang your first left on Red Deer Court, and Hang your first left onto Antler Court. We are at the end of the road on the cul-de-sac #1008.From East:Take Route 64 west to route 55. Take route 55 South. Look for Olive Chapel Road. It is the next major intersection after route 64. It should be the next major intersection after route 64. Hang a Right on Olive Chapel road go about 2 miles. Look for second entrance/road called Ashley Downs Dr. hang a left here. Hang your first right onto Twelve Oaks Lane, Hang your first left on Red Deer Court, and Hang your first left onto Antler Court. We are at the end of the road on the cul-de-sac #1008.

Inscrutable

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2004, 10:06 am »
Hey, broadening the gene pool is always a good thing  :wink:    I am in west Cary near the Y (maybe 10 minutes from Drew's place), so it will be real convenient for people wanting to hit both places.
Tim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2004, 07:44 am »
Hey Guy's, Don't forget your camera's...take some photo's for all of us. Thanks !! :wave: