How 'bout that, seamail does work...

JohnR

« on: 16 Oct 2004, 03:40 am »
I ordered a box of "buyout" drivers from parts express a while ago. Not wanting to pay more for postage than the drivers, I asked for seamail...

Madisound won't send by seamail, saying that too many got "lost." So I figured there was some risk, and when the parcel didn't arrive after ten weeks I figured maybe that was a bad bet...

Anyway the box showed up yesterday, just almost twelve weeks after delivery. Whew!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-432

Going to try them as a short midrange line array next to Neo8s. If that fails, dipole surrounds ??  :o

fishball79

« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2004, 02:31 pm »
Hi,

Nice midrange response & price!  And i thought it was hard to find cheap drivers that'll do 200hz to 5khz...

Always liked paper midrange too...

Do keep us updated!

navi

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2004, 02:55 am »
don't know how you can wait that long-

i would rather pay whatever it cost to ship by air

I usually get it in a week (from the US).

but how much was it by sea compared to air?

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2004, 01:38 am »
Hi navi, seamail was $66 and airmail was $155 ($US). Driver cost was only $140...!

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2004, 11:27 am »
What about the wire? Do you want it?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2004, 01:18 pm »
Hi Mal, I'm planning to have a barbie not this weekend (because of the weather) but hopefully the next. Are you and Toni free? (Sunday) Will be the start of daylight saving.

Will try to remember to call you this weekend about "the wire"... :)

PJ

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2004, 03:05 pm »
Was it seriously $US155 for airmail? How heavy are were they?

I order vinyl all the time from the UK, and I pay GBP1.5 per record. So an extremely bulky 2kg package of 10 records costs me GBP15. Not cheap, but way less than $US155.

I have ordered similar items from the US for similar amounts of money. Having said that, some places charge 5x more than others for the same service.

I always get items sent through the post, not courier. Interestingly, I recieve records faster from London to Perth than from Melbourne to Perth...as little as 3 business days.