Super Alnico Bass Output

DBC

Super Alnico Bass Output
« on: 31 Oct 2015, 07:02 pm »
In the past I have had my Super Alnico's sitting on top of my Mid Bass Modules that doubled as 20" monitor stands. Am currently modifying the Mid Bass Modules so thought I would experiment with speaker height. Had read (don't remember where) that placing a monitor closer to the floor will reinforce the low end just as moving it closer to the front wall does but without affecting the size & quality of the soundstage. So as shown in the photo the Monitors are about 5 inches off the floor and tilted up towards the listener. Photo was taken from the Main Listening Position.

I have to admit I am quite surprised by the noticeable increase in Bass weight and extension when the Monitors are placed lower to the floor. I listen to a lot of 70's Rock and some of that can sound just a bit thin when the Monitors are on 20 inch Mid Bass Modules with the MBM's OFF (the reason I've always used the Mid Bass Modules to reinforce the low end). With the Monitors as shown in this photo, the lower end performance is quite impressive. I'm not sure how this type of placement would translate in a different room?

In any event if your monitors are just a bit Forward or could benefit from a bit more Bass, it might be worth experimenting with a closer floor placement. IsoAcoustics makes a reasonably priced stand that can be placed on the floor and tilted. In my case I had some spare Isolation platforms on hand.

« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2015, 01:32 am by DBC »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Super Alnico Bass Output
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2015, 07:55 pm »
In the past I have had my Super Alnico's sitting on top of my Mid Bass Modules that doubled as 20" monitor stands. Am currently modifying the Mid Bass Modules so thought I would experiment with speaker height. Had read (don't remember where) that placing a monitor closer to the floor will reinforce the low end just as moving it closer to the front wall does but without affecting the size & quality of the soundstage. So as shown in the photo the Monitors are about 5 inches off the floor and tilted up towards the listener. Photo was taken from the Main Listening Position.

I have to admit I am quite surprised by the noticeable increase in Bass weight and extension when the Monitors are placed lower to the floor. I listen to a lot of 70's Rock and some of that can sound just a bit thin when the Monitors are on 20 inch Mid Bass Modules with the MBM's OFF (the reason I've always used the Mid Bass Modules to reinforce the low end). With the Monitors as shown in this photo, the lower end performance is quite impressive. I'm not sure how this type of placement would translate in a different room?

In any event if your monitors are just a bight Forward or could benefit from a bit more Bass, it might be worth experimenting with a closer floor placement. IsoAcoustics makes a reasonably priced stand that can be placed on the floor and tilted. In my case I had some spare Isolation platforms on hand.

Hi DBC.....   no photo came through......   Worth trying, though that edginess is now gone.  My design is to use the active xover to run the tube amp and monitors only down to ~ 100 or 150 Hz anyway, but I might give it a go just for the curiosity.  Would be nice to know they could be run well on their own.

.......Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2015, 08:00 pm »
Regarding the shift in sound with break in........

I have been somewhat skeptical of reports that sound something like:  "They sounded good out of the box, but at 50 hours they seemed to just come alive".  I had that experience.  I did swap a tube that probably helped, but the difference from when I set them up (20 hours on them) to when I listened after a few more days running them with some bass (another 30 or 40 hours) was significant.

........Peter

DBC

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2015, 01:53 am »
pstrisik,

Let me know if the photo is coming through now? Seems like they might have changed image handling a bit on the site?

These speakers had hundreds of hours on them before placing them lower to the floor as shown. For someone who likes Rock & Blues rock, the monitors alone were always just a bit light on the low end for my taste (don't get me wrong, I love these speakers). Since moving them closer to the floor I can't say they are light on Bass at all (Bass has power and quality). Bass is very crisp, clear and well controlled which means vocals come through very clear. There is no tendency to Load Up the room or get Boomy and I've been listing to a wide variety of material. Front of the Monitors are 3.5 feet off the front wall.

In the past I experimented with reinforcing the Bass by moving the Monitors closer to the front wall but never liked what it did to the soundstage. Lowering the Monitors with a tilt does not seem to affect the soundstage height & width. But the Bass and Mid Bass reinforcement is significant.

pstrisik

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2015, 02:22 am »
I see the photo now.  Reminds me of how I used to run my Large Advents - low with a tilt.  No shortage of bass there!  I liked the tilt I had with the Super 7 XRS'.  Projected the sound more it seemed, better to fill the room.  I don't miss the tilt with the monitors though.  There is no question that they fill the room!

And, I just realized that I thought you had replied to me with a post in the other thread!  Fit right into the conversation so I didn't notice I was in your thread!  Sorry if my reply seemed disjointed or anything.

.........Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2015, 03:59 am »
DBC,

Very cool looking setup.  Love the minimalist look.  8)

ozoid

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2015, 05:55 am »
Great to see you're giving those Alnicos a try all by themselves.

I seem to remember you have some early ’70s Dead, Airplane or Hot Tuna recordings, when both Lesh & Casady were playing Alembic-modified Guilds. Cue up any of them, but especially the first Hot Tuna album (really the blues equivalent of sonatas for electric bass with acoustic guitar accompaniment) to get a sense of what the Alnicos can do with bass instruments that put out a lot of higher-frequency overtones. The music came from a single instrument and the Omegas are delivering it with a single driver. 

mrvco

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:31 pm »
I'm guessing they are acoustic treatments, but what are the four black sacks along the wall in your photo?

DBC

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2015, 05:56 pm »
I'm guessing they are acoustic treatments, but what are the four black sacks along the wall in your photo?

King size pillows from Walmart with black pillow cases. Not much on my front wall because I project a 120" image for HT. I have the pillows and 3 each 18" x 48" acoustic panels on each side wall to minimize side wall reflections (very minimal sound treatment).

mrvco

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2015, 09:59 pm »
Interesting.  I'm trying to figure out what sorts of things I can experiment with to start improving acoustics and pillows are both available and plentiful in our household.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2015, 05:50 am »
Tonight I was listening on my Res Labs Concero HD DAC, Super Zen Select, and Super Alnico Monitor system.  The music I was listening to was complex and dynamic, and covered a wide frequency range.  The system handled it without breaking a sweat.  No speaker is perfect, but to my ears this Decware/Omega combo is the closest I remember hearing.  Clear, open, expansive, spacious, fast, detailed, and PRAT in spades, with lovely, tight, tuneful bass. 

:D

kevtn8

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2015, 08:06 am »
Tonight I was listening on my Res Labs Concero HD DAC, Super Zen Select, and Super Alnico Monitor system.  The music I was listening to was complex and dynamic, and covered a wide frequency range.  The system handled it without breaking a sweat.  No speaker is perfect, but to my ears this Decware/Omega combo is the closest I remember hearing.  Clear, open, expansive, spacious, fast, detailed, and PRAT in spades, with lovely, tight, tuneful bass. 

:D

CR, either you're great with descriptive words or you're a great salesman.

Either way due to your experiences and my curiosity of the sound of Alnico, I've officially joined the Alnico club. I sent you a PM regarding your Skylan stands.

When you get the chance, make sure to upgrade your SuperZen Select to the UFO transformers. The bass and every other part of the frequency spectrum will be further refined as the transformers break in. I will postpone any updates on the UFO transformers until I see how they pair with my Alnico monitors and Skylan stands. Based on the results you're getting, I can hardly wait!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2015, 05:28 pm »
CR, either you're great with descriptive words or you're a great salesman.
Hi kevtn8,

Like John Darko, I do like words.  They're very necessary when trying to describe how something sounds when the readers have no opportunity to go to a store and hear what we're promoting.  However, when I do demos at my place, I don't say a lot - I let the product talk.

Salesman, unabashedly yes - it's part of my living, and I do work directly for Louis and have been for years.  I'm the only "employee" he's ever taken on and I feel humbly privileged.  I'm not a "Salesman Sam" type because I have a hard time promoting something I'm not in love with.  Just think, if the sales force of this world went on strike, this planet's enconomic system would, for the most part, grind to a halt.

kevtn8

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2015, 11:37 pm »
Hi CR,

There's no need to explain. That statement was intended to be a compliment. I'm sorry if you misunderstood. I think you're great at what you do and Louis should be very grateful for having you. You're a true professional in that you try to be as honest as possible while also being faithful to Louis. You're one of the main reasons I wanted to try the single driver approach and now you're the guy that has convinced me to go Alnico. If in the end, the sound I hear is as good as what you're describing, I will only have you and Louis to thanks.

More importantly, I really feel from reading all your posts on Omega that we have very similar tastes and criteria as far as being an audiophile. Your main system components are very similar to mine and so I really try to use your results and experiences as a tool in helping me decide what I should invest in to take my system to a level where I'll be content and satisfied.

With the Alnico monitors and Skylan stands, hopefully I'm on my way.

pstrisik

« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2015, 01:34 am »
.......... You're one of the main reasons I wanted to try the single driver approach and now you're the guy that has convinced me to go Alnico. If in the end, the sound I hear is as good as what you're describing, I will only have you and Louis to thanks................

You can add me to the list of alnico recommenders (my spell checker says that's not a word  :?).  I was fortunate to have the original Super 7 XRS with both ferrite and alnico drivers.  No contest for me.  The natural smoothness and textured sound (breath, reeds, guitar strings) is stunning.  I now have the Super Alnico Monitors and they have taken it even further.  I am very, very happy with them.

........Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2015, 07:42 am »
Hi CR,

There's no need to explain. That statement was intended to be a compliment. I'm sorry if you misunderstood. I think you're great at what you do and Louis should be very grateful for having you. You're a true professional in that you try to be as honest as possible while also being faithful to Louis. You're one of the main reasons I wanted to try the single driver approach and now you're the guy that has convinced me to go Alnico. If in the end, the sound I hear is as good as what you're describing, I will only have you and Louis to thanks.

More importantly, I really feel from reading all your posts on Omega that we have very similar tastes and criteria as far as being an audiophile. Your main system components are very similar to mine and so I really try to use your results and experiences as a tool in helping me decide what I should invest in to take my system to a level where I'll be content and satisfied.

With the Alnico monitors and Skylan stands, hopefully I'm on my way.

Thank you Kev,

A very nice and encouraging post.  I most sincerely hope I've steered you in the right direction.   :thumb:

kevtn8

« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2015, 08:23 pm »
Sorry for temp diverting DBC's thread. Lets keep the focus back on the Alnico bass potential.

CR, I sent you some PMs regarding the Skylan stands.

kevtn8

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2015, 09:49 am »
You can add me to the list of alnico recommenders (my spell checker says that's not a word  :?).  I was fortunate to have the original Super 7 XRS with both ferrite and alnico drivers.  No contest for me.  The natural smoothness and textured sound (breath, reeds, guitar strings) is stunning.  I now have the Super Alnico Monitors and they have taken it even further.  I am very, very happy with them.

........Peter

Thanks Peter, this post was very reassuring. Like I said previously, I'm very excited and can hardly wait. If these are as good as I think they will be then they very well could be my last speakers.