Japanese knife set - advice for a present?

Charles Calkins

Re: Japanese knife set - advice for a present?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2015, 08:44 pm »
I'm looking for a present for my wife, Japanese knives, preferably a small set of starter ones, price around $350.

I read up on a few threads here, but I'm in over my head. I thought I found something in a Shun 3-piece Classic set for around $300.  But then I found out you can buy them at bed, bath, and beyond.  That just sucks out the exotic factor.  Yes, I do count "exotic-ness" into it, please don't think less of me.

The other problem I have is that a single brand has several different lines  - so if someone says they like their Shun knives, do they mean Sora, Classic, Premiere?  Is it better to go with the low end of a high end manufacturer or the high end of a lower end brand (same as in audio huh)?

-david

Log on to ebay and search for Cutco knives.  Very excellent knives made in the USA and Cutco sharpens them for almost free. I had 12 sharpened recently and cost me about $25.00. Can't beat that price.

Cheers
                                                                        Charlie

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2015, 09:03 pm »
Sorry, but I can't agree that Cutco knives are quality products.  I've got a couple that I bought from some of my students over the years... they stay in the back of the drawer. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2015, 09:04 pm »
The OP has already contracted Virgil to make him some knives, so I don't think he needs any more recommendations.

S Clark

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2015, 09:11 pm »
I know we've been promised photos of the finished product, but I hope Virgil can take a few of the process and post them here as well. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2015, 09:12 pm »
Amen to that!  :eyebrows:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2015, 09:57 pm »
Sorry, but I can't agree that Cutco knives are quality products.  I've got a couple that I bought from some of my students over the years... they stay in the back of the drawer.

I disagree. I've a full set of Cutco knives for 40 years or so and never had to replace any of them.
   I've always sent them back to Cutco for resharpening.
    Sure had to replace a LOT!!! of audio gear. No more of that for me. I'm liking what I hear now.

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

asliarun

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2015, 10:38 pm »
I was the one that recommended the Richmond AEB-L, but the Monster man makes very good points.  These are very high quality, lightweight knives, but if heft is thought to be equal to quality they will not impress as a gift.  Tojiro makes a good quality, hefty, set of VG-10 knives.  Three knife sets are $150 under your budget, so add a nice nakiri if you do vegetables much.

I have a Tojiro DP 240mm (about 9.5 inches) chef knife (gyuto), and my wife had also bought a 210mm Henckel's. Both are fairly hefty knives and kept a reasonable edge. Besides this, we have a few others, including a Aogami Super nakiri sandwich steel.

I then bought a 240mm Richmond Artifex from ChefKnivesToGo. I was simply blown away by how good the knife felt in my hands, how light and well balanced it was, how much more precisely and easily it let me do a fine dice. And the steel itself is much much better. It sharpens way more easily, and also keeps it's edge for a really long time. Only the Aogami Super carbon steel matches it in edge retention.

I don't know if "lasers" are in fashion, and I am only recounting my personal experience. I would give this knife two thumbs up. The thing is - when using a big 9"+ knife, a thin and light well balanced blade just works much much better. Oh, and my wife now shares the Artifex with me. She loves to use it too. We've both retired all our other big knives. I'm not kidding!

If you are looking for a parer or a small "petty" knife, check out Thiers-Issard Sabatier's Nogent series. It has a lovely old school charm to it. And these series are only available in limited stock - they were forged 60 years ago and were recently discovered so the company is making a limited run by regrinding the knives. There is some risk about fit and finish though. However, they are charming as heck. And yes, they are carbon steel, but I think for a parer, it should be okay.

http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_nogent.htm

Besides the Nogent style, there are other vintage Sabatiers available as well, and some are limited stock. I don't have their Nogent but have their "new old stock" 4" and 5".

http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_old_stock.htm

cab

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2015, 10:55 pm »
I picked up some hap40 steel laminate kitchen knives while in Japan this summer. Wow, they hold a scary edge for a loooooong time...Highly recommended...

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2015, 01:29 am »

Seriously, you have bought good knives, so don't skimp too much on sharpening.  Rob will probably chime in here with definitive advice, but I'd say you want something that will at least sharpen to 4000 grit.  I don't think that the double sided DMT nor your grand dad's Nortons are that fine.  I still use my grand dad's razor stones at about 6000 grit when in a hurry, but it doesn't match what I can do with an Edgepro machine. 

Ok, what about this? It's A DMT system (they use manufactured diamonds, not true stones, don't know if that's bad or good).  Seems the only complaint is that it's a little flimsy, but all like the actual dmt abrasive part.  Comes with 2 double sided diafold: 3 micron/8000 mesh, 9 micron/1200 mesh, 25 micron/600 mesh, and 45 micron/325 mesh.

https://www.dmtonlinestore.com/Diafold-Magna-Guide-Kit-with-EEEFC-in-Case-P88C13.aspx

S Clark

« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2015, 03:56 am »
Never heard anything about that system.  Rob Babcock is the man whenever it comes to sharpening round these parts, so hopefully he will chime in again.  I have a large DMT fine/extra fine that I never use anymore... the 1200 grit is too coarse to jump to my 6000 stone easily.  Does DMT offer any extra stones? a 3000 would be a welcome addition.  Do any of the Japanese knife vendors carry this kit or do their customers recommend it in their forums? If so, jump on it.   If not, I think I'd just pick up a couple of mid level stones and free hand sharpen- depending on how good your freehand technique is. 

Then later you could look at systems.  There are Chinese knockoff Edgepro machines that would offer you access to a much broader range of stones, strops, and polishing tapes.  $30 for the machine (throw the stones away) and another $100 for good stones would get you started- or just bite the bullet for a $200 set and be done with it (not really... it's like stereo, there's always that extra bit that you're looking for)

sfox7076

« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2015, 04:02 am »
I have an EdgePro.  Thankfully don't have the upgrade bug on it.  Razor edge on all our knives. 

S Clark

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2015, 04:18 am »
I have an EdgePro.  Thankfully don't have the upgrade bug on it.  Razor edge on all our knives.
Yep, that's the nice thing about going ahead and buying at the top.  Cost another $100 but you don't buy twice (or in my case 3X  :oops:) Anyone want to buy a nearly new Suehiro 6000 waterstone? Cheap? How about a Spyderco set with an extra fine hone?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2015, 04:32 am »
Unfortunately Edgepro is out of my budget.

If anyone has extra stuff they're willing to part with for a reasonable amount, send me a PM.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:27 am »
DMT stuff is pretty good.  Diamonds are a mixed bag for sharpening IMO.  DMT is among the top end of consumer diamond sharpening stuff.  Japanese Atoma diamond plates are the best I have tried.  An EP Apex starts at around $150 and is well worth the money.  A Lansky or Gatco works okay, especially for smaller knives, if you're on a tight budget.  Obviously you can buy individual waterstones but freehanding on stones is kind of like driving stick shift- some people pick it up pretty easily while others struggle.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #34 on: 23 Nov 2015, 01:33 pm »
Rif,

A couple of pics of the Santoku before handle.

Hamon line runs within the grind.

V....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 23 Nov 2015, 01:55 pm »
Ohhhh....me likey!  :eyebrows:

sfox7076

« Reply #36 on: 23 Nov 2015, 04:06 pm »
What metal is it made from (which steel)?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #37 on: 24 Nov 2015, 09:23 am »
What metal is it made from (which steel)?

Ball bearing (52100) steel.

V...

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #38 on: 16 Dec 2015, 02:49 am »
Finished knives! Gorgeous.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 16 Dec 2015, 02:58 am »
Oh heck yea. I really dig that!   :thumb: