Impedance Change and Question

Escott1377

Impedance Change and Question
« on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:53 pm »
i currently run my Vr4jrs in a bi amp set up, with a pair of Wyred 4 Sound mono blocs on the woofers and a pair of Prima Luna Dialogue 6 on the tweeters / mids.

Prior to sending them in for the latest upgrade, I was using a pair of 7 dB in line attenuators on the tube side to help match the sensitivity of the different amps.

When the speakers returned, they no longer require the attenuators and sound like a perfect match.  Leif called and told me the speakers are now rated for 4 ohms across both modules.

So, why with the new impedance ratings do I no longer need the attenuators?

Thanks -

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Impedance Change and Question
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2015, 03:48 am »
Hello sir,

Thank you for purchasing our latest upgrade for the VR-4JR, now in Mk4 status.  We revised the complete driver and crossover array to make the speaker more efficient and balance the impedances, so that bi-amping would be facilitated.  We thought that getting rid of outboard attenuators would make a difference in clarity.

We would love to get your impressions of the new design over the next few months, as they break in.  The entire package uses our new recipe for "high resolution" sound quality, so we hope that you hear great improvements in every area.

Happy Listening,

Albert Von Schweikert

Escott1377

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2015, 02:28 am »
Albert,

Thanks so much for your response and for offing such a great product.

My jr's have really started to settle in - absolute different sound from the original, but at such a high performance level.

VSA could bring this model back to the market and crush anything sub 20k in the market.

Enjoying the music so much here in SC...

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2015, 03:42 am »
Congrats Escott!  Was a huge fan of the Jr's!!! Can't wait to hear how the sonics evolve during break-in!

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2015, 05:53 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

We are working on a new version of the VR-4 JR Mk4 to be offered in the middle of next year.  The original JR was one of our biggest selling speakers as it had the right look, right sound, and the right price.  In house, we often spoke of the initials to stand for "just right" and not "junior."

Glad you found the speaker to be transformed in every way, as that was our intention.  We are quite happy with the sound and will hopefully bring it back as long as the cabinet suppliers get their prices right!

Happy Listening,

AVS

Escott1377

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2015, 12:10 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

We are working on a new version of the VR-4 JR Mk4 to be offered in the middle of next year.  The original JR was one of our biggest selling speakers as it had the right look, right sound, and the right price.  In house, we often spoke of the initials to stand for "just right" and not "junior."

Glad you found the speaker to be transformed in every way, as that was our intention.  We are quite happy with the sound and will hopefully bring it back as long as the cabinet suppliers get their prices right!

Happy Listening,

AVS

I would definitely offer a cabinet upgrade since mine were returned in the high gloss piano black.  They had a nice trip to CA, but sure am glad they are back home.