Budget tablet media player

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
Budget tablet media player
« on: 27 Oct 2015, 06:38 pm »
I've been working on this on and off over the past week or so and I thought I'd post.

In the distant past, I've used my  computers (windows, linux, mac .. ) as sources for music playback.
Over the past few years, I've downsized to headless (no dedicated monitor or GUI)  ARM based computers (raspberry pi running volumio, hacked up pogoplug etc) using my iphone as a controller.
The month, I was intrigued by the low cost windows tablets at microcenter, .. specifically the WinBook TW802. With the added benefit of a touch screen, quad core processor + 2 GB RAM, full size USB,  built-in wireless , I decided to see what I could "mc-guyver" up with stuff I have lying around the house

1a. Buy a WinBook TW802  (was $100 when I bought it) http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/winbook_tw802_tablet_-_black
1b. Buy a microSD card for extra storage (optional)
2. Upgrade it to Windows 10 (free)
3a. Verify compatibility with my spare USB DAC,  http://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23 (about $40 new)
3b. Verify compatibility with my wireless logitech keyboard and mouse
3c. Verify micro-HDMI compatability with my TV
4a. Install the full Spotify application . This allows you to play any song in your library without a subscription (unlike the mobile only app)
4b. Verify that I can connect and  control spotify running on the tablet using the spotify app on my iphone
5a. Install foobar2000 flac player
5b. Install the monkeymote app on my phone to control foobar2000
6a. Install apple bonjour and shairport
6b. Verify that I can cast (audio) to the tablet from my IOS devices via airplay
7. Install Kodi media player (media center).Uninstalled for now, .. don't need it
8. Verify that bit torrent clients are supported by this hardware
9. Install netflix and youtube downloader and a pdf reader - for when I actually use this tablet like most normal humans

Future:
Install minidsp plugin apps to tweak my crossovers
Install REW to measure my speakers

Hope that helps

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
Re: Budget tablet media player
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2015, 06:41 pm »
double post deleted

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2015, 07:40 pm »
Cool. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

I'm not the most up to speed on computers / tablets, but I guess it has a USB in/out, so one could hook this up to an external DAC?

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2015, 09:14 pm »
Cool. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

I'm not the most up to speed on computers / tablets, but I guess it has a USB in/out, so one could hook this up to an external DAC?

Correct, .. just as one would hook in an external USB -  DAC to a computer

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2015, 09:25 pm »
Is resolution limited, or can one output high resolution (higher than redbook) from the USB? I know at least some tablets have/had limited output res. Maybe they still do?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm »
Please consider packaging it to be understandable/usable by casual/idiot users (like me).   :oops:

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2015, 02:41 am »
I don't think this is something he's doing as a commercial product. He's just posting his experiment in case anyone else wishes to duplicate it (if successful).