PSP's TLP impression

kyrill

PSP's TLP impression
« on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:02 pm »
Hi

I came across this message I now "borrow" from PSP. It is his reaction on connecting the TLP behind his preamp and his AKSA 55

"So, how does the TLP Nirvana compare to a reasonably modded Foreplay? First of all, I really like the Foreplay (it's only obvious fault is that it can become microphonic as some tubes age)... you listen to music and there is absolutely nothing to complain about. It is musical, detailed, accurate across the entire audio range, has excellent bass. The Foreplay clearly deserves its excellent reputation.

So what happened when I put the finished TLP back into my system? Holy Cow! Emotional Impact, lushness without loss of detail or any sense that the music has been softened. Full orchestra has WEIGHT, yet the violins are light and detailed, the upper registers of the piano sparkle, and there is great transparency everywhere. I finished off last night by listening to Rubenstein play Beethoven's 5th piano concerto while I did some reading in preparation for an early meeting this morning. Every few minutes the music would grab my attention... some moment of utter beauty or raw emotion that penetrated deep... this never happened while listening to the Foreplay.

Of course, everyone who has heard both the TLP and the GK-1 has said that the GK-1 is a HUGE step forward... now that boggles my mind. "

Well I have stil 2 GK-1's waiting for me to be build and I don't have even a tube preamp as the Foreplay. SO I guess the effect will be even more clearer.

So I am sooo curious what I will hear when the GK-1's are in place. I like to boggle my mind

PSP if you read this, do you have yr GK-1 yet?

PSP

PSP's TLP impression
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2004, 07:59 pm »
Kyrill,
Yes, the GK-1 is complete and has been playing for about a month.  It should be well broken in by now and well-stabilized.

In addition, I have the TLP-N in my bedroom system (and the Foreplay is currently sitting on a shelf in the basement).  So, I am in a good position to do some A/B/C listening on these preamps.  I have not directly compared the TLP and Foreplay since I wrote the post you quoted, but I remember that the impressions were very clear, so--for now--I will stand by those comments.  I can also say that the GK-1R really kicks butt, it is a very, very fine preamp.

My brother will be visiting in a month and I will try to do some listening with him.  He is a recovering audiophile... has Classe amp and preamp, KEF 105/3 floorstanders; he loves his system and has no interest in making any changes.  He loves music and audio, but is unconcerned and unimpressed with audiofoolery.  So, we will get some CDs and a couple of bottles of nice wine and spend the evening listening.  I'll write my notes fully aware of which preamp I'm listening to, while my brother will only know he's listening to preamp A, B, or C.  I'll do some level measurement ahead of time to get the levels as close as possible.  And, for sure, I'll post the results.

So, if all goes well, we listen in early November, report due shortly thereafter.

Peter