PI Audio DigiBuss

ZLS

PI Audio DigiBuss
« on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:13 pm »
    I purchased the PI Audio DigiBuss, and installed it in my system
    I am favorably impressed with the results.
    I hear everything as clearer, which my brain translated into an extended frequency response.
    Has anyone else purchased and installed a DigiBUss into their system?
    Do the results agree or disagree with my own?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Brad

Re: PI Audio DigiBuss
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:29 pm »
What do you have plugged into it?
What is it plugged into?

Just curious.  Mine has arrived, but I haven't had time to get it unboxed and situated into my system.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:35 pm »
Mine arrived (in Taiwan) a couple days ago. I had it plugged into my system for 2 days while it was all in my home office as an experiment that I decided wasn't workable. I've got a small desk, large monitor, and everything else crammed together - uh uh.  :nono:

It is now sitting idle until tomorrow when I will use it in my living room. I don't know if one day's listening will suffice....I'll eventually report.

Michael

My system in Taiwan is:

Nuprime IDA-8 integrated amp/DAC
Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R two ways (Scan Speak Illuminator 5" midwoofer/Ring Radiator tweeter)
Squeezbox Touch
Mac Mini
Triode Wire Labs American 10+ power cord and speaker cables
Pretty small living room with little acoustic treatment (picture a cement box)

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2015, 07:28 pm »
What do you have plugged into it?
What is it plugged into?

Just curious.  Mine has arrived, but I haven't had time to get it unboxed and situated into my system.

I have my:

1. Mac Mini
                  2. Scott Nixon 16/44.1 Dac
                  3. Flat Screen TV
                  4. Cable Box

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:11 pm »
Could one you folks that have received your PI Audio DigiBuss, please post a picture?

Thanks.

orientalexpress

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2015, 12:08 am »
i got mine on satureday,i plug my uberbus into digibus.i plug my gustard dac,oppo,auralic arie into digibus and my cherry amp,phono stage into uberbus.i didn't like how it sound on some music but heard some more detail the left side then the right side on satureday but on sunday ,sound start to clear up a little on the right side.I try playing the same cd again  .i will give an updated later on the week to see any more improvement. :)

lapsan

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:45 am »
What the heck is a digibuss and how much does it cost. Assume it's designed for digital equipment.  With PI being off AUdio circle now and the lack of an up to date website, it's hard to get info.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:18 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136240.msg1448722#msg1448722

Check post #11 in the link above.

I've got two pics coming in a few moments.

Michael

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:40 am »
Very cool!

Does the DigiBuss replace the MiniBuss??? If not, why can't their functions be combined into a single chassis?

jhm731

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2015, 05:34 am »
mresseguie- Mahalo for the pictures!

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2015, 05:44 am »
Best to contact Dave directly from PI Audio for more details. A relay to here, of any info would be great also.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2015, 10:31 am »
I've contacted Dave regarding some power issues; interested to see if he mentions the Digi as a possible fix.

mcbuddah

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:48 am »
I got mine on Saturday and noodled around with it a bit that night.  I just hooked up a couple of things to it in front of my rack and dragged power cords from behind as I stripped them out of the old PS-Audio PPP.  I installed the TWL 10+ cables from the Genesis 500w class D servo amps and a cute li'l pair of D-Sonic 600w class D overachievers wired with the same Waveform Fidelity HE MKIII power cords that Merrill provides with his $12,000 class D amps.  A recent interview with Paul Kaplan states that he designed it especially for getting the most out of high-performing class d amps.  I never would have tried running 2.2Kw of amps The PS-Audio regenerator but Dave convinced me to be fearless connecting them to his tiny box. I also plugged in a W4S STP SE preamp (stock) and an OPPO 95.  The STP was wired with Kaplan's GS MKII power cord,  The OPPO with a Synergistics Research X2 Master coupler active shielded cord, And the Buss plugged into a Rhodium Furutech GTX (D) wall outlet via Kaplan's current highest quality Power cord, the GS MKIII that replaces the MKII used on the preamp. 

After a couple of hours unattended warm-up time playing a random CD on repeat, I sat down for a few hours to hear what it sounds like right out of the box.  My unit has all P & S 5362A receptacles and I have a few more GTX duplexes on order and I have a spare Maestro as well, but I promised Dave that I would give his current favorite off the shelf giant-killers a fair listen before putting in any of the boutique brands.  So far I have no complaints or concerns about the stock ones.  The system sounds quite good, and I can tell already that the bass definition has improved now that their amps can finally drink clean power like the rest of the components.  First impressions with just this crude installation are quite positive.  I already can tell that the PPP is going to the cornfield.

FWIW, I plan to give it a proper install and properly dress my cabling before serious listening.  Dave designs his gear so that you can easily roll duplex outlets in and out of his Buss products. He encourages people to try different connectors and the differences can be worth the effort. 

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:37 am »
"I already can tell that the PPP is going to the cornfield.:rotflmao:

I'm certain I've never heard/read this expression before, but I love it!  :thumb:

Thanks for the input. I must admit I've had mine in system for about three weeks now, but I have not made any observations. I really need my dear wife to head out for a day of shopping and/or merriment with her friends in order to rearrange system position for critical listening. The current position sounds nice, but not amazing.

Guys in Taiwan don't say 'WAF' but every single one immediately knew what I was talking about when I explained WAF to them.  It's universal.  :oops:

mcbuddah

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:56 am »
It comes from an old episode of Twilight Zone where a whole town is tyrannized by a psychopathic ten-year  old with special powers. When Tommy really gets mad at someone, he sends them to the cornfield, in various horrible circumstances.  In my case the cornfield is actually the TV system. I will post a few more observations as we go along here.  I have just finished putting everything in its place except some of the cable risers behind the rack. I also hooked up the Analog gear and put about 25 hours burn-in with and it has put my system over the top. I'd just rather listen to it now than write about it.   

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:10 pm »
   After break-in about 300 hours remove from system and you will hear the benefit. I use two Ubers. One for digital one for all else. The Digibuss on order will be used on the dedicated line for digital then an Uber to wall.
     TWL Digital high current cord will feed Digibuss and TWL standard digital cord will feed CDP. Uber will use TWL 7+ cord.

charles

mcbuddah

Re: PI Audio DigiBuss Breakin
« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2015, 05:37 pm »
I hit a speed-bump while trying to accelerate the break-in period.  I have been listening about 6-8 hours per day and leaving the OPPO running on repeat all night long. After getting up to around 100 hours I took delivery on a museum-piece SACD player that has sent the OPPO to the cornfield next to the Premier AC regenerator.  This is a SONY SCD-1, Sony's all-out effort to launch the then new SACD format with a superbly crafted player.  This one was modified/upgraded by a crew of fanatics who came up with half a dozen upgrades to replace everything after the DAC with their own circuits.  These modifying gurus have even installed a switch in back to revert all their changes back to the stock circuits - either a bone thrown to AB testing fanatics or a display of confidence in their work bordering on sheer arrogance.  With their modes costing well over the original $5k price of the unit, it does actually rival my VPI Super Scoutmaster Reference with all the bells and whistles.  In fact, this thing sounds so good (with well-recorded discs) that I  could at least imagine giving up vinyl someday, if the math allowed it, which it won't.  Now retired,  after 30 years collecting music I have almost 100 CDs and SACDs and more than 3000 albums. 

The sound of this player is so hauntingly beautiful compared to all the other gear I have had for CDs that I have to respect it and take are of it.  Several key parts for it are no longer available except through ebay and I can't just run it like a hamster wheel to get hours on the Buss. All that mileage will have to come by listening.  As of Sunday noon, it has about 125 hours on 6 outlets and only 20 on the duplex serving the analog gear.  I expect the mail to deliver 2 new GTX-D (R) duplexes tomorrow and I will put one of them in the kitchen to play with the 'fridge for a few weeks.  The one I put in my wall at Summer's end took over 300 hours to stabilize and stop acting like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. It still continued to improve after that, but it never reverted back to harsh or shrunken stage or lousy bass like it had occasionally displayed when it was newer.  I suspect that it will take me at least another 2 weeks with the P&S 5362A's that are in there now to get them broken in and hear their full measure.  They sound so good now that I am in no hurry to switch them out for either the GTX's or the Maestro I have lying around.  But my conscience won't let me run 10-12 hours per night off the wheels, gears, motors and lasers that are in this marvelous old machine while I sleep. 

orientalexpress

« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:29 am »
After about 300 hours or so breaking in and switch digibus plug into uberbuss -->>>to the wall outlet. Auralic Aries LE and Gustard X20 dac  plug into digibus .i pick my favorite album I listen to a lot and not audiophile recording to listiening to.I pick Adele 21 because I have both on vinyl and Flac on Nas ,I listening to Lovesong ,it a remake song by the Cure .i could heard organ and violin more clearly in the background ,before the guitar and voice dominance the center stage .it's like peeling an extra layer music behind it I can heard more clearly.i love it  :thumb:

Thanks again Dave

mcbuddah

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:34 am »
My buss is at about 300 hours for the 3 duplexes that are hosting digital gear. 2 for the D-Sonic amps, 2 for the 500w Genesis class-d servo amps, a third shared by the VPI SDS controller or the Sony SCD-1 and the 2 preamps on the last one.  Dave has built the unit with all P&S stock outlets to start, althought the IEC outlet has been upgraded to Rhodium.  Dave got me hooked on the Rhodium GTX outlets and I now have one in my wall, 2 others that I scooped the rest of you guys for on-line at $135/each, and a 3 year-old Maestro that was removed from the wall for the GTX.  I have been challenged by Dave to take the stock outlets seriously and not just dismiss them out of hand in favor of the 8x higher-priced GTX duplexes.  After more than 3 weeks listening, everything sounds superb and I have no desire to upgrade - even though I already have the parts.

I just committed to at least another 2-3 weeks with the stock outlet set so as to keep the system unchanged while I audition a new power cord for the Sony - a new Digital American from TWL that should raise the bar even more for digital playback in my house.  Until changes made in October to the main PC feeding the Buss's predecessor (PS Audio Premier) yielded such a breakthrough in so many ways, I have never taken digital sound seriously. Cabling and footers and emi/rf reduction tweeks, platforms, brass, etc. for digital has always been leftovers after upgrades elsewhere were pressed into digital playback support. The change from a PS Audio SC Premier power cord to a Waveform Fidelity  GS MKII was like hitting the audiophile Powerball, so profound that even CDs sounded good on the old OPPO and even better on the modified SONY. 

I wrote earlier that I have logged about 3 hundred hours on 6 of the 8 outlets since I got my buss in early November.  Because it is a Digital buss, I have hardly played any vinyl. The duplex servicing my Thor phono stage has probably around 50 and so is not likely broken in yet. I do hope to determine if the TWL PC will be a keeper for the digital side of the system.

mcbuddah

Re: PI Audio DigiBuss - checking in again
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2015, 11:22 pm »
Sorry about the long delay in updating on the Buss. I have tried to leave everything alone on my system for a while as the duplex outlets and the Buss continue to burn in. Almost 2 months for the Buss and 5 weeks for the SACD player to settle in.  The only change I have made since the Sony arrived was to replace the X2 Master-Coupler with a new Digital American (source level) PC that defies all logic and reason about mid-priced power cords.  The word that comes most often to my mind to describe its sound is "Sandpaper", because it makes digital so smoooooth!  It has removed the sonic glare from all but the most poorly produced CDs and puts out SACD sound that makes me forget - for a while - about vinyl.  One way to describe it's impact on my system's sound is to compare ballroom dancing with Cirque du Soleil.  Ballroom dance can be quite beautiful to watch or perform. The gowns on the ladies and elegant men's full-dress suits and dancing to familiar music and rhythm and everyone performing the same steps are hallmarks of ballroom dance, but Cirque du Soleil is a riot of chaos and energy with costumes and as crazy and varied as the whirlwind of motion and acrobatics and every dancer has his or her own choreography. 

What's next in testing the Buss: 

To date I have not changed the Buss's original configuration, although I could replace the P&S outlets with a combination of higher-priced duplex outlets.  I have a Maestro at hand as well as 2 Furutech GTX (R) duplexes and Dave is going to send me another along with a Mongo that has a FI-50M on one end and a Neutrik 32 amp connector instead of an IEC.  My buss is configured with both AC inlets.  I would like to try Dave's Mongo cord in the Buss for a few weeks before re-configuring the outlets, but I am in no hurry to change anything.  The introduction of the DigiBuss to replace the PS Audio regenerator has made such an improvement in the digital side of my system that I have played CDs and SACDs almost exclusively since I got it in early November,  and it is so good with stock outlets that I can wait to juice it up with the bling from Furutech and Fernando Cruz.  I have only played a handful of vinyl discs since then, but I will get to it soon.  I may not have mentioned it before but Dave built mine as an Uberbuss with a switch to convert all 8 outlets to run as Digibuss or as a standard UberBuss.  I set the switch to DigiBuss mode on November 5 and left it there.  If anyone out there is interested in how it sounds when set as standard, let me know and I will move that configuration up before I start changing power cords and outlets.  So, I could test vinyl; I could test power cords; I could start migrating equipment to expensive outlets that may or may not sound better than Dave's stock ones that have made my system sound ten times as good as I ever thought it would 3 years ago when my amps died.  Or I could switch the Buss from Digi back to Uber.  I'm also thinking about begging Dave for one of the P&S duplexes that he tweaks.  I am taking requests for what I should try next. 

FWIW, since retirement I have had only a small fraction of the money to spend on my addiction compared to the years when I was working, and have lost the means to borrow equipment from a local dealer as there are none within 2 hours drive. So, I have been using a strategy for choosing equipment that depends on luck more than financial leverage.  I do a lot more research about everything I think about buying, and generally choose gear designed by fanatics and mavericks.  I look for pieces that get few professional reviews, but whose designers are more concerned with their work than their press, sometimes shunning the media completely.  When these people actually do get a design reviewed, it is often found to be a serious over-achiever for its price class, and may actually be a good fit with the rest of my stuff.  For example,  when my 1991 vintage Atma-Sphere amps died three years ago, I researched and determined that it would likely cost me $4k or more, including new shipping materials and insured round-trip costs to Minnesota, and might only be worth less than that in the used market.  I spent about a month looking for a cheaper way of replacing them and decided that I would swing for the fences with a pair of Class D amps, despite the ridicule that they generate in the Audiophile community.  The ones I chose had recently been granted a "Blue Moon" award from 6Moons, and had to drive some crazy-bad Apogees to get it.  The reviewer couldn't find anything to complain about except the stock power cord and footers.  Now they didn't even come close to sounding like the Atma-Spheres, they were actually fun to listen to after the first 300-500 hours and got me started on maple platforms,  footers,  EMI/RF mitigation and cleaner power.  I consider my W4S STP-SE to also be an overachiever too, but I have no idea whether or not those guys are fanatics.  I have a list of more than a dozen  wacko fanatics who make equipment that is inexpensive and crazy-good for the money but that's another entry.  I think that Dave at PI-Audio might be one of these guys too.  I miss his circle.