Adding sub to parasound zpre2? Or new very cheap and small pre?

pslate

Good Morning,

My main system is extremely compact these days. Two small kids and life in the big city just has its impacts. For me it is more important to have a simple unobtrusive system that the whole brood can listen to rather than search for that last tenth or two of performance. I have a Gray Dodd amp that I love and am using  a Peachtree Dac itx. The Parasound Zpre2 ties it all together. I like it because it's small  :thumb: Question what would be the best way to add a sub to this system? Would splitting the rca on one of the outs be that bad? What do people think? If so can anyone recommend something super cheap and small with a sub out? I mean like no more that $250. I am that cheap these days  :thumb: Good thing AJ and Soundfeild have cured me of all upgrade-itis. I got two pairs and I am never, ever going to part with them.

Paul

RDavidson

Looks like the Zpre has 2 sets of outputs. Just use the 2nd output. You don't need a specific "sub out." Those are normally reserved for A/V processors which will send a specific sub signal to the sub output, if setup as such.

All you need to do is run a set of RCA's cables from the 2nd output to the sub, then adjust the crossover, volume level, and possibly the phase, on the sub to your needs.

Doublej

Looks like the Zpre has 2 sets of outputs. Just use the 2nd output. You don't need a specific "sub out." Those are normally reserved for A/V processors which will send a specific sub signal to the sub output, if setup as such.

All you need to do is run a set of RCA's cables from the 2nd output to the sub, then adjust the crossover, volume level, and possibly the phase, on the sub to your needs.

I think this works if you never change the volume. Since the second preamp output is fixed, when you change the preamp volume you won't change the subwoofer volume.

Or am I misunderstanding how a fixed level line out works?

I think a pair of  RCA Y connectors used on the variable output would work. If the subwoofer has a speaker level input you might be able to run a second set of speaker wires from the amps speaker terminals to the subwoofer.

If the headphone jack does not cut the signal to the audio out section when there is something plugged into it, you might be able to use it to feed the subwoofer.

RDavidson

I should've looked closer. I didn't see that the second output was fixed.

Yes, that certainly makes things a little more complex, but still doable as you stated.

Quiet Earth

Does your sub have speaker level inputs? If it does, use the speaker level inputs on the sub and you don't have to buy anything. (Except some cheap speaker wire.)

Dodd amplifier speaker binding post --> second set of speaker wire --> subwoofer speaker level input. Done.

pslate

Does your sub have speaker level inputs? If it does, use the speaker level inputs on the sub and you don't have to buy anything. (Except some cheap speaker wire.)

Dodd amplifier speaker binding post --> second set of speaker wire --> subwoofer speaker level input. Done.

Thank you very much Quiet Earth! It's an O Audio Bash amp so I am in luck. It feels so good to be cheap  :thumb: