99% Isopropyl Alcohol - where to buy?

cmscott6

« on: 15 Oct 2004, 02:40 pm »
I'd like to make some homebrew record cleaning solution, and it seems logical to me to use the purest IP alcohol I can find (within reason  :) ).

In this era of "heightened security" does anyone have an idea of where to purchase it (if you aren't or don't know a chemist?  8) ).

Thanks folks!

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2004, 03:05 pm »
Can't you get it at the local drug store?  Just a guess

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:10 pm »
I know where you can get 99% ethnol alcohol! :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:19 pm »
Woodsea....woodsyi....both VA....you guys related.... :?
    Another use for 99%...tape heads cleaning (with a few Q-Tips).[/list:u]

rneedle

Cleaning solution
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:34 pm »
A better--and cheaper--alternative is to use the solutions reccomended by the National Library of Canada:

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/st-laurent/care.html

I use it in a bath sonicator in my lab, but any method of application should be fine.  In  addition, there are a lot of theoretical reasons for believing that this is better than alcohol-based solutions. Yeah, in other words, it works great!

"I am not responsible for my own opinions."

Richard

Lost81

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2004, 05:33 pm »
Longs, Walgreens, and other drug stores will have 99%.

Frys Electronics has 99.63% but you pay about 4 times more.

-Lost81

cmscott6

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2004, 03:20 pm »
Well, the chain drugstores (at least Walgreen's and CVS) do not carry 99%, but they claim that their 91% contains only alcohol and distilled water.  Finally, I just decided to go that route.  I built a diy vacuum record cleaner and am just enjoying the clean music too much now to even care!  Wow, what a difference.   :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2004, 03:39 pm »
Quote from: cmscott6
I built a diy vacuum record cleaner and am just enjoying the clean music too much now to even care!  Wow, what a difference.   :D
Do you have any details , or links for this DIY machine....thanks !! :)

beat

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2004, 03:52 pm »
I have been using dentured alcohol mixed with distilled water and it seems to work pretty good. That is something you can find at the paint stores or sections of the large diy stores.

cmscott6

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:29 am »
Hey, lonewolfny42.
Here are a couple of links to peruse.  I basically used an amalgam of the two.  I used a 1 gal Shop-Vac from Target and cut out a slot in the crevice tool with a Dremel.  I then covered the tool with velvet.  I used the idea of sandwiching the record between two wooden discs, to keep record off of the platter.  Got the platter, spindle and bearing off of a garage sale record player.  Tried to cover the discs with non-slip pad - which makes it very easy to spin the whole sandwich by hand - but the labels were getting wet, so I think I'll try neoprene.  I screwed a super ball on top of the top disc as a handle, but anything will do, and I really couldn't imagine adding a motor.  

One caution - velvet is difficult to work with!  I humbled myself and asked my wife and a whole huddle of salespersons from Jo-Ann fabrics for help.  Seems you have to tear velvet - not cut it - or else it just frays away to nothing.  They also sell a small bottle of Fray-check which chemically fuses the edges of the velvet.   :o   Who knew?

Any other suggestions, ideas or questions?  Let me know!  Good Luck!  It definitely is worth the effort!

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/recordcleaner.htm

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2004, 03:37 am »
Quote from: cmscott6
Hey, lonewolfny42.
Here are a couple of links to peruse.  I basically used an amalgam of the two.  I used a 1 gal Shop-Vac from Target and cut out a slot in the crevice tool with a Dremel.  I then covered the tool with velvet.  I used the idea of sandwiching the record between two wooden discs, to keep record off of the platter.  Got the platter, spindle and bearing off of a garage sale record player.  Tried to cover the discs with non-slip pad - which makes it very easy to spin the whole sandwich by hand  ...
Thank you for the info and links !!!! :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2004, 11:45 pm »
Spotted this on Agon.... DIY LP Cleaning.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2004, 12:49 am »
Quote from: beat
I have been using dentured alcohol mixed with distilled water.......

Dentures and alcohol don't mix!  
You'll just get drunk, break into a house to sleep it off, lose your dentures and leave the incriminating evidence once you sober up

beat

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2004, 04:22 am »
dang..................

I can't believe I wrote that. I try so hard to have proper english and impeccable spelling. Must have been some kind of a freudian slip. Now you all know the truth with no help from the "drunk dj" post in the vinyl circle turned sports bar..My last tooth is coffee stained and I'm  jrunk.