Connectors for battery powered operation

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Connectors for battery powered operation
« on: 23 Oct 2015, 03:32 am »
This is a question for those of you who use battery powered components including DAC's, preamps, buffers and amps.

What do you recommend for terminal connections at the battery posts? The only ones I can find locally are the super El-Cheap-O crimp on terminals in the electrical isle of Lowe's and Home Depot.  There has to be better alternatives.

Also, what would you recommend for connection to the device if it needs the small 12V male female plug instead of Neutrik PowerCon connectors?

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2015, 04:48 am by mlundy57 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Connectors for battery powered operation
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2015, 04:03 am »
Good question.  I've used crappy spring loaded clips, but have meant to change to copper O ring terminal on my batteries that have bolts in the post.  I'm eager to hear a better solution.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2015, 06:44 am »
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product28319.html

don't buy them all... I  STILL haven't got around to ordering  some  , still using a  pair of alligators  :oops:

jay

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2015, 12:56 pm »
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're looking for, but I've used dean connectors to hook up nicd packs to my circuits.

They also have something called cannon connectors which I have no experience with

http://www.batteryspace.com/deanconnectoradaptor.aspx
http://www.batteryspace.com/Cannon-Connectors.aspx

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:03 pm »
   Just solder bare wire to the battery terminal. no connector required. When battery needs replacement remove solder. :duh: :thumb:.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:05 pm »
  Speaking of batteries is there a better one than Powersonic ??

charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:07 pm »
  Speaking of batteries is there a better one than Powersonic ??

charles
They all suck. Super Capacitors like Vinnie Rossi is doing really is far superior. 

lacro

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:08 pm »

Also, what would you recommend for connection to the device if it needs the small 12V male female plug instead of Neutrik PowerCon connectors?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, The little 12v jacks found on low power electronics use a couple of different sizes. 2.1X5.5, and 2.5x5.5 are common, and you will need to determine which size you have. You can make your own power cables with solder type plugs:

https://www.parts-express.com/21mm-x-55mm-x-14mm-dc-plug--090-498

Or - I find these to handy also:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QWNZHU?keywords=12v%20power%20jack&qid=1445607330&ref_=sr_1_27&s=electronics&sr=1-27

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:22 pm »
They all suck. Super Capacitors like Vinnie Rossi is doing really is far superior.
:slap:

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:35 pm »
If your equipment isn't drawing much current then not having huge power connectors and cables is not an issue.

I like what Vinnie is doing, but big AGM batteries with battery buffers (capacitor banks, and impedance balancers) are right there with the best of the best when it comes to sound quality. The only drawback is large heavy batteries. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:56 pm »
All the research I have found on battery noise floor from 12VDC AGM's, states it is on the order of the thermal noise from the cell DCR.  For large AGM's usually in the range of 0.0025 Ohms DCR.   

That puts the noise floor at ~-180dBV over a 20KHz bandwidth.  That is much lower noise than any voltage regulator.

Some of the best DC voltage regulators I have seen struggle with reaching -120dBV noise floors. 

Glad he has a nice product.  Have had very good sound with AGM and LiFePO4 batteries with my equipment.

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2015, 03:08 pm »
   Just solder bare wire to the battery terminal. no connector required. When battery needs replacement remove solder. :duh: :thumb:
I think I'll do that.  Thanks, Charles. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2015, 03:50 pm »
If you do, use some of the eutectic grade electrical solder that has 2% or more silver content.

Drops the contact resistance down considerably compared to standard solder.

Radio Shack may still have some, or others make it as well.

mikeeastman

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2015, 05:20 pm »
I strip the end and make a loop, solder it and bolt to the battery, only have to solder once.

I started using  Sunextender AGM 40 amp hr battery that are design for use in off the grid. They are suppose to have thicker plates and high density paste.