Squeezebox Touch - Need Help

Bigfishhk

Squeezebox Touch - Need Help
« on: 22 Oct 2015, 01:43 pm »
I am a dinosaur still happily running 2 Squeezebox Touch units in deff rooms. Recently the units have recently developed connectivity issues where a screen on the unit says' unable to connect to the IMAC'. This may happen whilst the unit is in operation and actually playing via operation from the ipeng remote on the ipad.

At other times when trying to operate the SB via its own remote it will display the same message and will not connect to the Imac where my music is stored.

I have switched around both SBT units and the same issue arises. I have rebooted the Modem. I do not believe there is any hardware issue on the SBT players, but possibly a settings problem that I do not know how to correct.

Any advice really appreciated.

I m currently running Mac Os X Yosemite 10.10 5  and likely upgrade El Capitain soon. Has anyone had problems running the SBT with Os el Capitain?

thanks

Tom

sonicboom

Re: Squeezebox Touch - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2015, 02:06 pm »
I'll assume that you're running the players wireless through WiFi. If so, it's most likely your wireless router. I've been running squeezeboxes for a bit over 10 years now and this issue has occurred twice. When I first encountered it, I researched about intermittent connectivity issues for wireless devices in general and I found out in some computer forums, that there was some consensus about the fact that when routers start to go south (for no apparent reason), drop-outs become more frequent as time passes. In my case, both times I bought new routers (at less than $50) and the problem was solved. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2015, 02:25 pm »
yes I am using wifi. my wifi set up- Verizon FIOS router which seems to be working well plus a 5G wifi  extender.  I have never been able to get the SB touches to connect to the 5G extender so they are streaming via the Verizon modem.

I'll try rebooting Verizon router once again and see what happens but it seems to be OK

thanks

btw  are you running via a MAc OS and which one?

avta

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2015, 02:40 pm »
I've run into odd problems like yours in the past. ( I no longer have a SB ) What I've done is uninstall the Squeeze server software from my computer, disconnect the SB from power for at least 10 minutes, download and reinstall the most recent software and reinstall it on your computer then reconnect the SB and reconfigure the SB as if it was the first time. Good luck

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2015, 04:22 pm »
Fish,

I've got a potentially helpful answer but I just don't have time now. I'll be back in about 20 hours. Sorry...best I can manage.

jdavies

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2015, 04:46 pm »
Thanks for posing the question, Bigfishhk. I've actually had the same problem running Mavericks, so any insights will be much appreciated. :)

Bigfishhk

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2015, 08:10 pm »
Fish,

I've got a potentially helpful answer but I just don't have time now. I'll be back in about 20 hours. Sorry...best I can manage.

No problem and look forward to your post

Bigfishhk

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2015, 10:37 pm »
Right now the Sbt screen displays the message 'connecting to iMac' whilst playing. It goes on and off interrupting whatever display and commands are on the screen at the time.
The wireless strength for the unit is 100% but it acts as if buffering.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2015, 11:20 pm »
Sneaking in a few minutes...

Does the signal strength remain at 100%? Part of my problem was the signal strength wavering up and down. I don't know what the cutoff threshold was, but when the signal was dipping down into the 70% region, I'd lose signal. I seem to have fixed it by moving my wifi router a couple feet closer to the SBT. This is not my cable company supplied modem; it's an after market router.

Appliances, such as microwave oven, fridge, etc. can disrupt the signal. Have you checked for this?

For whatever reason, I had to install the newest SBT update three times before it was happy and stopped asking me to install it - on my Mac Mini and twice on my SBT. I did not check to see if there were three different updates or if it was the same update. In the past, updates have not come along in quick succession, so I assumed this was the same one that failed to properly install.

Here's something really strange: approximately 3 months ago, after many failed attempts to get the SBT to lock onto the wifi signal, I added an empty  skandisk (sp?) memory card because my SBT repeatedly told me that was required in order to successfully make the connection. [I don't for one second believe this btw.] I finally did this and after about four attempts at connecting to my Mac Mini via wifi, I succeeded. [Perhaps the voodoo doll I'd made in the SBT's likeness had something to do with it. Fear can be a great motivator.] Why don't I believe the memory card has anything to do with it? Because the SBT recognizes it as a separate storage device that has nothing to do with my wifi connection. My SBT is not accessing the card at all. How weird is that?

Before the latest update to the Mac, I discovered the my LMS was shutting down of its own volition. It had to repeatedly go in to restart LMS, followed by my instructing it to rescan my library of music in iTunes. Updating to El Capitan seems to have fixed this problem.

Okay, I'm out of time again. I hope some of this helps.

Michael

Bigfishhk

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2015, 11:58 am »
Sneaking in a few minutes...

Before the latest update to the Mac, I discovered the my LMS was shutting down of its own volition. It had to repeatedly go in to restart LMS, followed by my instructing it to rescan my library of music in iTunes. Updating to El Capitan seems to have fixed this problem.

Okay, I'm out of time again. I hope some of this helps.

Michael

Michael
Thanks for taking time out to elucidate.
Upgraded to El Capitan last night and so far so good with hopefully stays that way!

Btw are using external DAc with Sbt? I have been surprised how good the unit sounds without it. I used to run it though a $1000 DAc and didn't,t really hear that much difference and sold it.