Problem with my SP1.7 processor

gazza982

« on: 15 Oct 2004, 05:02 am »
I'm getting the following error on my SP1.7:-

SGNL: err208 A20
DEAD0 ERRNO

It happens after about five minutes when I'm watching TV via a digibox using analog input.  The SP1.7 freezes up and when switched off and on again the following message appears

Initializing...
DEAD0 ERRNO

The SP1.7 wouldn't start up normally for about an hour and then went again after five minutes.  It's definitely not the digibox as this happens even when I disconnect all the cables.

I have reported this to PMC (UK Distributor) and am waiting on a response.  In the mean time has anyone else experience this fault.

Thanks

Gaz

gazza982

« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2004, 08:57 am »
Update

PMC have replied already, which is quite impressive.  The processor needs to be returned and they have emailed Shane Parfitt for his opinion.

gazza982

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2004, 09:45 am »
Update.

My SP1.7 has been away for over two weeks now and PMC are still waiting for a replacement DSP board from Bryston.

I just hope it doesn't drag on much longer or I will get the urge to upgrade to another processor.

gazza982

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2004, 11:41 am »
James any chance you could look into this at your side?  It has been  three weeks now and no sign of the replacement DSP board.

Levi

Unacceptable
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2004, 12:46 pm »
Unacceptable.  Bryston of Canada can fix your SP1.7 within a week.

gazza982

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2004, 01:06 pm »
Thanks Levi,

I have nothing but praise for Bryston, especially James Tanner.  PMC are normally pretty good too but something must have gone wrong on this occasion.  Hopefully something will happen this week.

Fingers crossed

Gaz

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2004, 01:29 pm »
HI Gaz,

I don't know where PMC is.  Normally, SP1.7 are sent to Canada for repairs.  I sent my SP1.7 to Bryston USA and they forward it to Bryston Canada.  I received my SP1.7 a couple of days later.  FIXED!

Levi

gazza982

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2004, 03:34 pm »
PMC have just sent an update.  Bryston are short of DSP boards at present hence the delay.  Hopefully it won't be long now.

Gaz

Levi

SP1.7
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2004, 06:15 pm »
Do you mean this board?  When you check MDS.com, you would probably notice that this board is outdated and no longer in their website.  Then again, I could be wrong.  Good luck and I hope you get your SP1.7 soon.

gazza982

« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2004, 06:05 am »
Thanks Levi, hopefully Bryston will let me know one way or the other shortly.

James maybe you could let me know how long you think this might take?

Gaz

gazza982

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2004, 09:55 am »
Still no processor but at least I now know it was Bryston who held it up.  This was due to having no stock of DSP boards.  In the end they removed one from a production unit and shipped it to PMC on Friday.  I just wish it hadn't taken a month to come up with this solution.

So hopefully I will get my processor back this week.

Levi

SP1.7 processor board replacement
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2004, 01:27 pm »
I am sorry to hear about the delay.  Did you get a loaner...

gazza982

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2004, 02:19 pm »
No loaner, no explaination without asking James directly via email and no sorry you haven't had a processor for over a month.

When I first purchased my SP1.7 I got a fautly one and it took nearly a month to replace that.

So my SP1.7 experiences haven't been good.

No problems with the 4B SST, 6B SST or 7B SST amps  but I won't be upgrading the SP1.7 or purchasing Bryston processors in future.

I have to point out that PMC aren't to blame in these issues.  They have always kept me informed.

Levi

Bryston back
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2004, 04:02 pm »
Did you get your SP1.7 back?

gazza982

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2004, 04:13 pm »
Hi Levi,

It arrived last week.   It was away so long I forgot just how good it sounds.  I also got a small bonus, it is now running the 44D firmware.

So I'm a happy Bryston user again :D.   I just hope it doesn't develop further faults.

Thanks

Garry

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2004, 04:44 pm »
That's cool Gary.

I ordered a new CDp from UK and it took them 3weeks to build it.  I received it last week.  I was just hoping that you received your SP1.7.   :lol:

Another case closed by Bryston.