Can my 30W KT88 tube amp drive ML Spires?

NordicNorm

Can my 30W KT88 tube amp drive ML Spires?
« on: 19 Oct 2015, 05:11 pm »
I have the opportunity to buy a mint pair of ML Spires.

My concern is that my 30W tube amp won't be capable of driving them adequately. To date I've read mixed reviews (some wrote no problem, while others have written not a chance!).

I have a (highly modified) Music Angel XD800 Mkiii (Psvane tubes: 4xKT88, 2x12AU7, 2x12AT7) that outputs 30W Class A. 

I listen mainly to jazz, bluegrass, folk and classical, and I'm no longer interested in shaking my kidneys.

I'd appreciate hearing everyone's experience with driving electrostats (particularly Martin Logans) with a (lower power) tube amp. 

cheers,

weatherman1

Re: Can my 30W KT88 tube amp drive ML Spires?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2015, 07:12 pm »
I own ML Montis which if you compare the ML specs are very similar.  When I purchased these used I too owned a KT88 integrated.  While I enjoyed tube rolling to get less brilliant (brittle) highs and succeeded I eventually plugged in a Hybrid integrated that brought the Montis to life with 250 watts.  I too listen to classical, jazz, big band, blues, and organ pipe music.  You might be happy with your present amp. If the price for the ML's is really good I would say go with the deal.  Your amp will drive them but not to window rattling levels without running out of juice.  You can always find an amp deal in the future.  We do suffer from an addiction!!

twitch54

Re: Can my 30W KT88 tube amp drive ML Spires?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2016, 01:55 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I agree with the 'weatherman' for I drive my Spires with tubes (Rogue M-180 mono blocks) and while considerably more powerful than your amp, hopefully you have by now purchased the Logans and are in a state of 'bliss' !!