Super 7Mk2 or Alnico?

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
Super 7Mk2 or Alnico?
« on: 14 Oct 2015, 06:33 pm »
Hi all,

I'm seeking opinions on the Super 7Mk2 and Alnico monitors.

My original draft was too wordy so I've pared it down to the essentials.

I have had the Super 3i in my second system since mid-year and love it to bits. To say it has outstanding ability with voices and acoustic instruments would be an understatement. This is an amazing speaker. :D

It can't be faulted at all with maintream pop and jazz music. However, with certain classical music genres, a bit more welly in the lower frequencies would be desirable.

So I'm poised to have my second Omega monitor. Been reading assiduously other Omega-owners' opinions on here. The general consensus seems to be the Super Alnico is the ultimate Omega monitor. What I'm picking up is that its treble quality is slightly different to the Super 3i's. I really like the transparency and speed of the 3i. Would the 7Mk2 be a better upgrade option for my preference then? I get the impression from here that the Super Alnico's treble is comparatively less 'vibrant' than the 3i's. :|

Another other factor is: I'm planning to own a 2A3 or .45 single-ended power amp next year. Both output 2W/ch. Again, would the 7Mk2 be a better partner for these amps? I'd like to give orchestral tuttis the maximal dynamic swing possible.

How noticeable is the 3dB sensitivity difference between the 7Mk2 and Alnico?

Oops, I've rambled on a bit. Will be grateful for any pointers.

Jin

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Super 7Mk2 or Alnico?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:04 pm »
"Welly"?  According to dictionary.com the word can be used as British slang for energy, concentration, or commitment.  As apparently your primary objection to the Super 3i, please define. 

From my readings, the smaller Omega drivers lack the full bodied sound of the AlNiCo drivers.  I own a different brand of AlNiCo extended range drivers and they have lots of "meat on the bones" compared to most extended range drivers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:15 pm »
Hi conrad-Jin,

The Omega Alnico Monitor also has more meat on the bones than the 3 series and would do better with classical and big dynamic swings. 

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:21 pm »
Great topic, and I've gone back and forth in my mind on this exact same thing.

The RS5 driver is amazing. I LOVE the speed, transparency, and overall presentation VERY much. But if it could dig just a bit lower, I'd love it even more. It'd be about as ideal of a full range driver as one could (reasonably) wish for, in my mind.

With that said, there's been some commentary that Louis' new 8" driver is quite RS5-like. I'm kind of waiting for this driver to materialize in quantity and for Louis to offer it in his regular lineup. I know he is doing everything he can to make this happen.

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:33 pm »
All roads point to the Almighty Alnico, it seems. I have to seriously consider joining this club.  :)

With my preamps and amps and playing mainstream pop and jazz music, the Super 3i doesn't lack for body. Au contraire, it is amazingly 3D and holographic. The lead singer is almost literally standing in front of me. :o With certain classical music recordings that have a wide dynamic range, though, a little more air-shifting pressure from the mid-bass would be nice.

Alnico over the 7Mk2 then? The one certain advantage the latter has is its "golden ratio" dimensions. It's more fetching. :lol:

Jin

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:42 pm »
Well, Louis can custom build you something too, if necessary. Recently, someone posted that Louis built a pair of 7 series monitor cabinets, but used Alnico drivers per request. That'd be a very nice little speaker, if you don't necessarily need the fuller bass that the big boy Alnico Monitors offer, but want the midbass you describe.

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:44 pm »
Great topic, and I've gone back and forth in my mind on this exact same thing.

The RS5 driver is amazing. I LOVE the speed, transparency, and overall presentation VERY much. But if it could dig just a bit lower, I'd love it even more. It'd be about as ideal of a full range driver as one could (reasonably) wish for, in my mind.

Yes, it is amazing. I'm the sole Omega owner on another forum, and no one believes me when I insist its speed, transparency and coherence are superior to the Spendor SA1 I had. :duh:

I had toyed with the idea of adding a sub to the 3i, but just can't stomach the additional wiring and the floorspace that'll be eaten up. :?

With that said, there's been some commentary that Louis' new 8" driver is quite RS5-like. I'm kind of waiting for this driver to materialize in quantity and for Louis to offer it in his regular lineup. I know he is doing everything he can to make this happen.

Ooh yes, the Super 8 review on here suggests it could be another tantalizing option. I do wonder how it compares to the Alnico head-to-head.

Jin

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:48 pm »
Well, Louis can custom build you something too, if necessary. Recently, someone posted that Louis built a pair of 7 series monitor cabinets, but used Alnico drivers per request. That'd be a very nice little speaker, if you don't necessarily need the fuller bass that the big boy Alnico Monitors offer, but want the midbass you describe.

Whoa! Now that's an idea. :D

I must have missed that post somehow. Looking for it now.

Alnico in the 7 Mk2 cabinet. :thumb: Alnico Lite!

Jin

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2015, 08:54 pm »
Yes. I'm considering something like this myself. I like the Alnico Monitors, but really don't think I'd take advantage of their size / cabinet tuning.

jorgen

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:08 pm »

I should be that "someone" with the mk2 cabinet and the alnico driver. Really worth looking into this combo. Since I haven't heard the standard alnico monitor I can't compare, neither to the rs5 driver, but I can say, compared to floorstanders I found the monitor not missing much in the bottom, but be aware, I only played on these speakers for a small week with a 4w/ch amp. Initial impression was very good, I dont know but considering the totally different cabinets, maybe a deeper cabinet will compensate for in total smaller volume? I'm not a bass hunter though. Didn't find the cabinet small either, smaller than the super alnico but not small. I would say go the alnicoway..

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:08 pm »
Yes. I'm considering something like this myself. I like the Alnico Monitors, but really don't think I'd take advantage of their size / cabinet tuning.

I guess, if you prioritize midrange purity and finesse above having maximum LF frequency extension, then this custom Alnico will suit your needs very nicely.

I share the same inclinations. But, can you take the plunge first and order your Alnico Lite? I shall wait to read your findings. :green:

Cheers,
Jin

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:17 pm »
Hahaha! Touché

I was kind of thinking maybe you could order them, but just keep them at my house. :lol:

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:21 pm »
I should be that "someone" with the mk2 cabinet and the alnico driver. Really worth looking into this combo. Since I haven't heard the standard alnico monitor I can't compare, neither to the rs5 driver, but I can say, compared to floorstanders I found the monitor not missing much in the bottom, but be aware, I only played on these speakers for a small week with a 4w/ch amp. Initial impression was very good, I dont know but considering the totally different cabinets, maybe a deeper cabinet will compensate for in total smaller volume? I'm not a bass hunter though. Didn't find the cabinet small either, smaller than the super alnico but not small. I would say go the alnicoway..

Thanks for chiming in, jorgen.
You're that awesome guy that buys speakers but let's friends hold them (indefinitely), right? :P

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:28 pm »

You reckon? :|

Interesting, your comments on your Alnico's dimensions. It is halfway between the size of the 7Mk2 and regular Alnico then?

It should be a no-brainer that the regular Alnico's cabinet size is optimized to show off the driver to its best advantage. That said, a smaller cabinet ought not to impact the driver's base characteristics, maybe just reduce LF resonances a little. :idea:

Enjoy your special Alnico monitors. I hope you can update us as the running-in progresses. :)

Cheers,
Jin

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:32 pm »
Hahaha! Touché

I was kind of thinking maybe you could order them, but just keep them at my house. :lol:

Ok, so we are both cautious and opportunistic. :lol:

No need to take risks, Mr Jorgen is the brave pioneer here. We only need to keep tabs on his adventures with his special Alnicos, before following suit. :D

Jin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:36 pm »
Alnico always that possible. :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:40 pm »
Well.....I'm probably not so much cautious as I am indecisive on this topic. It really seems that one can't go wrong with any Omega speaker, with appropriate consideration to room size, listening preferences, etc. etc.

As much as I really like the RS5, I can't help but be curious about the Alnicos......though a smaller speaker (like jorgen's) would suit me better, I think. Before jorgen posted what he'd ordered from Louis, I hadn't considered this Alnico Mini option.

Yes jorgen, please do keep us posted on your thoughts. Pics would be fantastic too.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2015, 09:50 pm »
The bass on the Alnico Monitors is utterly seductive and sooo integrated with the music (the flattest frequency curve of all Louis' drivers).  Go for the smaller cabinet only if you have physical room constraints.  I've had the Super Alnico Monitors and the Super 7 Monitor MK2 in the same system - no contest.  Yes, the Alnico driver in the 7 MK2 Monitor cabinet would definitely be a better option than a standard 7 driver but it won't have that welly the big one has. 

I suggest you go "the recipe"; stock Alnico Monitors on 20" Skylan four posters.  You'll likely never look back.  The best Omega sub/sat system I've heard will definitely take you deeper in the bass dept than the Alnico Monitor will, and be more dynamic, but in quality of bass no sub/sat I've heard can touch the Alnico Monitor.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2015, 11:58 pm »
I think the treble on the Alnico driver is a bit more forward than I've heard compared to other Alnico drivers and the midrange resolution and tone are very good. I do think the highs on the RS5 are maybe a touch more vibrant and the speed and transparency is amazing. My neighbor has the RS8, he got the prototype speaker, and it's fantastic. If you're not using a sub I'd get that over the RS5, they are very similar in character though, the 8" is an awesome driver. It's tough having to choose between a few options that are all excellent but since you have the RS5 already, I'd go Alnico.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2015, 06:52 pm by DaveC113 »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2015, 12:30 am »
As far as listening to music, the midrange is where 90% of it takes place, and the Alnico Monitors are masters in this department.  Due to it's superb tonal balance no one area of the music overpowers the other giving a wide open soundstage where all the players are clearly defined.  That's what I mean about these speakers being able to dig more out of a recording.

Dave is right about the RS5: Incredible speed and transparency, making for a highly focused soundstage.  Comparing the RS5 to the Alnico is like choosing between two versions of fantastic - I have both.  I love the RS5, but my reference system is comprised of a flea powered SET driving Alnico Monitors.  It does things like no other stereo I've heard, and I've heard/owned a lot over the years.