Home theater bookies and center

neep

Home theater bookies and center
« on: 6 Oct 2015, 02:39 pm »
Hey all! I'm in the used market for some bookies and a center speaker for the home theater rig. They will be placed right up against a wall so either sealed or front ported speakers is what I'm assuming I'll need. I will be running a sub but would love if the bookies had some kick to them.

I'm working on a 3 channel amp now so these will have some nice power going to them eventually. Budget is $1,500ish for a used set. I had some Dynaudio Audience towers for a short time and while they were a little hot up top for music, they were incredible with movies. The soundstage was just immersive.

Was looking at the Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2's. Any suggestions?

ajzepp

Re: Home theater bookies and center
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:33 am »
It's very hard for me to find box speakers that I fall for these days, ever since becoming a planar guy about a decade ago, but the RSL (www.rslspeakers.com) CG24s and CG4s have won me over. They never cease to amaze me, and I would put them up against more expensive options any day and twice on Sunday. Personally, I look for transparency, dynamics, and that "realism", and these have those qualities in spades.

There are tons of great options out there to choose from, but of all the speakers I've heard and owned over the years, these are one of the biggest "best kept secrets" in audio that I've ever come across. Even having my big bad Magnepans in the other room, the RSLs impress the heck out of everyone who hears my system...and they usually don't believe the price tag when I tell them.

Good luck

Phil A

Re: Home theater bookies and center
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2015, 02:04 pm »
Yes - there are tons of options new or used.  Have you seen the new Elac speakers?  There also lots of manufacturers who sell direct to consumers - Axiom, Aperion, Salk, Philharmonic Audio, Chane Music Cinema, etc.