Ronnie Earl--blues guitarist

Tonto Yoder

« on: 14 Oct 2004, 11:01 am »
I've had Ronnie Earl's "Colour of Love" for some time, but have had it playing in the CD changer for the past several days, along with some recognized guitar gods like Clapton & Peter Green. Since the changer is set for random play, it juxtaposes the different guitarists and Earl has been "winning" the comparison. "Colour of Love" is especially interesting since Earl adopts the styles of various guitarists like Santana, Albert Collins & Peter Green, carrying each tribute off well.  It's almost strictly instrumental, but Gregg Allman gives a extended guest vocal.

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:25 pm »
Hi Tonto,

If you like Color of Love, you will love Still River. It's getting hard to find, in fact it may be out of print now. It's on the Audioquest label. The recording quality is stunning. I've been using it as a reference disc for a nubmer of years. Ronnie Earl is an excellent guitarist.

You might be able to find a copy on eBay.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:44 pm »
Scott,
thanks for the recommendation.  I have "Surrounded By Love" & "Like it When It Rains" on vinyl, but I think those are the BlackTop label.
I DO have Audioquest's LP of Robert Lucas' "Layaway" which indeed is great sonically, but I prefer Earl's guitar work.

I'll keep an eye out for "Still River."

Andrew JC

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:44 pm »
Wow I was begining to wonder if there are any Ronnie Earl fans here. I have Healing Time, I Feel Like Going On, as well as a few others. Healing Time is an excellent recording. Here is a review http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/rev266.htm

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2004, 01:00 pm »
That's funny you'd mention a blues CD on the Telarc label.  I never associated Telarc with blues until this past week when Lucinda Williams mentioned doing a Howlin' Wolf cover for a Telarc compilation.

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:11 pm »
Telarc has been expanding into the blues arena for a while.  As usual the recordings are quite good.  

Maria Muldaur
James Cotton
Eric Bibb
Rory Block

To name a few

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:20 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
Telarc has been expanding into the blues arena for a while.  As usual the recordings are quite good.  

Maria Muldaur
James Cotton
Eric Bibb
Rory Block

To name a few

I have an Eric Bibb SACD hybrid from Opus that I really like.

A couple of weeks ago, picked up a Telarc blues sampler from BB for $6 or so, and I liked it.  Thought it was a bargain.

Randy

John B

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:22 pm »
I have pretty much everything Ronnie Earl has recorded.  He is one of my favorite Blues guitarists.   Hard to pick one album over any of the others, the suggestions given so far are good ones.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
It's on the Audioquest label.
Lots of good jazz and blues on that label. I've got a few of their samplers..."Works of Art"....different vol.'s....excellent sound !! :)

mojoman

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2004, 07:47 pm »
My favorite Ronnie Earl album is Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe.  He covers so many styles of blues guitarists on this stellar cd including Freddy King, T-Bone Walker, Duke Robillard and, one of my alltime favorites, Magic Sam.  

Other favorites of mine are Grateful Heart, a collection of ballads and his new one, Now My Soul.  

I've seen him live a couple of times.  Once was on a Sunday afternoon and he did this instrumental version of Amazing Grace that was....just amazing.

mojoman

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2004, 07:59 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
That's funny you'd mention a blues CD on the Telarc label.  I never associated Telarc with blues until this past week when Lucinda Williams mentioned doing a Howlin' Wolf cover for a Telarc compilation.

Telarc is were most of the top shelf blues players are migrating these days.  A sampling of their signed artist include the likes of Bob Margolin, Jimmy Thackery, Tab Benoit, Joe Louis Walker, Tommy Castro, Mighty Sam McClain, Tinsley Ellis, Charlie Musselwhite, Memphis Horns, Rory Block, Maria Muldaur, Debra Coleman and Jimmy Hall, to name a few.  

Telarc is also doing some very interesting compilations where they use their stable of players to cover songs of the old blues masters.  Check out the one titled The Music of Robert Johnson if you want to hear a real good example of one.

zeke

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2004, 12:08 am »
Ronnie Earl's "Language of the Soul" has some great songs on it --- imo.