GK1 Imaging

Oz_Audio

GK1 Imaging
« on: 26 Feb 2003, 12:31 am »
I was watching the Grammy awards the other night on free to air, analogue 2 channel TV through the GK1, Aksa 55 and TLB speakers.

When James Taylor and Yoyo Ma played, I had them both in my lounge room.  The camera was panning all over the place, but the two players where 3 feet apart, 4 feet behind my speakers, rock solid imaging.

I attribute this quality to the GK1 and my wife and I where totally blown away.  I do not think there is a product out there thats would come anywhere near the GK1 nomatter what the price.

Mark

U4EA

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2003, 02:14 am »
Oz,

Sounds great.  

Now, when the GK-1 can put Kid Rock and Eminem 4 blocks away from me, that will be an accomplishment.

AKSA

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2003, 02:26 am »
Man, do I second that.......

I have this notion that Rap is the musical anti-Christ......

Am I wrong?   :uzi:

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlman

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2003, 05:07 pm »
Thanks for tempting me to do something I shouldn't....  :D I can't wait to get this pre.  It'll be a later in the year but, it will be.  

Tell us more about your experiences with this preamp... I need daydream material.  ahhhhh GK-1....

Yes, I'm nuts.

-CM2

Malcolm Fear

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2003, 09:25 pm »
Rap.
I think that Eminem sounds great through the GK-1 and AKSA 55. But then I still enjoy "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice. Whatever happened to Vanilla?

Eminem seems to have 4 things to say, and says them all in each song. So, I listened to The Eminem Show, non stop for a week, and will probably never listen to it again.

Grumpy_Git

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2003, 12:15 am »
Vanilla ice lost his job unsurprisingly and then pumped petrol for a few years or whatever. He was recently seen presenting a very amatuerish motoring program on a late night low budget british sattelite channel. He has since dissappeared again along with the show in favour of cheap "adult" programming.

Oh my god, I knew that... :oops:

As for Rap being Evil, Hugh its your fault for providing an amp capable of delivering the bass!! I love my rap, classical, rock metal folk jazz.

infact i like all of it as long as it provokes a reaction unlike pop dross like justin "i wanna be michael jackson" timberlake and his army of clones.

Thats all i can calm down now

econ

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2003, 10:38 am »
add the, impossibly good looking, manufactured, sing in harmonies , here now ,forgotten tomorrow , 5 member boy bands to that list for me.

You know the sort.  In the Music videos they stand two abreast  at the front , three in line behind. Line ahead sings two lines then the blokes at the back move in synchrony to the front and carry on with the falsetto.And so on.

I wish George W would  do something about them !!

Hugh we need a filter in the Aksas to save us from such mind numbing stuff.

Where are my pills ?

U4EA

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2003, 01:57 pm »
I guess what drives me nuts is the talent thing.  Take the Dixie Chicks, even if you do not like country music it is still obvious they have talent.  They can play instruments and sing.  Or Alison Krauss and Union Station.  You can tell they can play and sing.

Now compare that to Kid Rock...How does he even get on a stage?

The real joke was I saw an advertisement for a tv show one time where P Diddy was the "talent assessment" chief.

By da one
Da GK 1
It's da one
Da only one
It's really fun

Now the Eminem version

By da fu@%ing one
Da GK fu$&$ing one
It's da Fu*$*$king one
Da only FU*%*%ing one
It's really Fu&*&*&ing fun

See the talent???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hey Hugh,  Eminem gets like 5 million per song.  You can have mine for 50 cents.

JoshK

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2003, 03:10 pm »
In general, I can't tolerate much rap.  However, there are a handful, meaning I can literally count on one hand, of rap 'musicians' that actually have some creativity and talent.  Not the same kind of talent, mind you, of a great jazz musician who plays his instruments and writes his music, but still an ear for rhythm and tonality.  I wish I could name some off hand, maybe Horace Andy fits in this category but he is only questionably 'rap'.  A Tribe Called Quest has had some decent works along with tons of mediocrity.  I won't dismiss the entire genre (although I will dismiss by my own personal tastes, country music) but very few will actually get play time on my system.

andrewbee

Eminem (or however its spelt)
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2003, 05:41 pm »
I will begin by saying that I am not a "rap" person and frankly hardly understand the language.
Neither am I a Country Music lover.
Having said that, there is some Country that I will listen to, maybe 10 songs, rap even less.
Eminem is a different character. While I find his use of profanity offensive and much of his lyrics tell unpleasant stories he is a force to be reckoned with. I have listened to his music and while I do not like his style he is in my opinion very gifted.
His lyrics are from his heart, not something given to him on a sheet of paper by the record company.
His music expresses his views and experiences of his life, .....sad.

Kid Rock on stage? Goes to show how desperate the shows are.

Now Nora Jones, what is all the fuss about?

Andrew

Quote from: U4EA
I guess what drives me nuts is the talent thing.  Take the Dixie Chicks, even if you do not like country music it is still obvious they have talent.  They can play instruments and sing.  Or Alison Krauss and Union Station.  You can tell they can play and sing.

Now compare that to Kid Rock...How does he even get on a stage?

The real joke was I saw an advertisement for a tv show one time where P Diddy was the "talent assessment" chief.

By da one
Da GK 1
It's da one
Da only one
It's really fun

Now the Eminem version

By da fu@%ing one
Da GK fu$&$ing one
It's da Fu*$*$king one
Da only FU*%*%ing one
It's really Fu&*&*&ing fun

See the talent???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hey Hugh,  Eminem gets like 5 million per song.  You can have mine for 50 cents.

massappeal85

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2003, 11:07 pm »
Gang starr - A jazz thing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll say this:

To judge rock music by only what I hear on the radio these days, I'd say IT is the anti-christ. I can't blame you for thinking the same about rap, if only the radio and television is your source of it. Just know that there are very few rap listeners that even feel whats played on rap radio these days, and that some of it can't even be considerd rap more then "r&b" or pop.

EchiDna

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2003, 01:56 am »
Quote from: JoshK
In general, I can't tolerate much rap.  However, there are a handful, meaning I can literally count on one hand, of rap 'musicians' that actually have some creativity and talent.  Not the same kind of talent, mind you, of a great jazz musician who plays his instruments and writes his music, but still an ear for rhythm and tonality.  I wish I could name some off hand, maybe Horace Andy fits in this category but he is only questionably 'rap'.  A Tribe Called Quest has had some decent works along with tons of mediocrity.  I won't dismiss the entire genre (although I will dismiss by my own personal tastes, country music) but very few will actually get play time on my system.

early PM Dawn, De La Soul  those guys can construct a witty lyric and have great musical ears... it is old (for the genre) and it is rap, it's just 'nicer' rap than people tend to generate these days...

bart11073

GK1 Imaging
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2003, 08:54 pm »
All the commercial rap sucks nowadays, but I know that there is very good underground rap that even you guys like! Most people just have a bad taste as they're buying those commercial hiphop.