OB Wedge Base for 12" Drivers

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
OB Wedge Base for 12" Drivers
« on: 2 Oct 2015, 12:15 am »
I'm sick, I know but I couldn't leave well enough alone. I'm building a pair of the Wedge Bases for 12" drivers to see how they perform.  When I built my H-Frames I went with the the 3x8 instead of the 2x12 because the H-Frames for the 12" drivers were 4" wider each then the 8" H-frames and my space is very limited width wise.

However, with the drivers being side mounted in the Wedge design, that 4" becomes depth, not width.  Since they have to be pulled at least 3ft out from the wall anyway, I didn't think the increased depth would make that much difference. My goal was to keep the front width as close to the 8" Wedge as possible while still having enough depth for the drivers and NoRez.

Based on my calculations (using 1x3's as a mockup and a ruler) I thought centering the drivers on a 16.50" deep side and making the front 1/2" wider than the 8" wedge would work.  Here is the first one being glued up:

The unit ended up being 1/2" wider in the front, 2" wider in the rear and 4" deeper than the 8" Wedge. It worked out OK but I only ended up with about 1/4" clearance between the lowest part of the driver and the top of the NoRez

Is this going to be enough clearance?

Another question is about orientation. Does it matter which driver faces which way (inside vs outside)?

Mike

ebag4

Re: OB Wedge Base for 12" Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
Thanks for taking the dive Mike!  This is likely my next project.

I was considering the upper or lower woofer in or out, in a smaller room like mine, I believe the upper woofer should go out to minimize the floor/wall bass boost.  In a larger room I doubt it would make much difference.

Please keep the pics coming.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2015, 03:54 am »
Cool project Mike, I hope it works for you

One thing  I  might be concerned about ( I don't know if this is a legit concern or not) is  that the increased  desplacement of the 12"  drivers and  relatviely small "interior" air space may cause the   opening at the rear to act like a port, similar to what happened  before Danny turned the triple 8" base into a  wedge shape  :dunno:

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2015, 04:39 am »
Jay,

Don't know either. Danny seemed to think it would work. By making the sides 4 inches deeper, the rear opening is 2 inches wider than on the 8" cabinet. This results in a 30% larger opening. I'm hoping that will be enough. Maybe Danny will chime in when he gets a chance.

I really don't have any way of measuring them properly. I may have to figure out a way to get them to Danny so he can check them out.

Mike

skalos

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2015, 05:44 pm »
Hello,

I am considering this type of box too.  Can you list the final NET opening dimensions in the back of the cabinet.  By your description I get 7" (8"+2"-3" (for 2x1 1/2" thick walls)) wide but I don't see a figure for the height of the opening.

Thanks,

Steven

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2015, 06:06 pm »
Steven,

This is a prototype, the dimensions have not been checked out yet for performance.

That said, the opening in the back is 9" wide by 26" high (compared to the wedge for 8" drivers which is 7" wide by 26" high).

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:05 pm »
It really shouldn't matter which one faces in or out too much.

Looks good to me. It should perform just like the wedge with the 8's.