The right to void your warranty

2 channel man

The right to void your warranty
« on: 21 Sep 2015, 09:49 pm »
I hope Bryston has the option to refuse warranty if the owner is a idiot. I commented on a photo I saw with a cat laying on top of a Bryston 4B . I called out the owner and his answer don't worry it has a 20 year warranty. I for one hope you would completely void that persons warranty as in my mind they are abusing the warranty. What is the Bryston policy regarding things such as opening a amplifier with 7 pounds of fur in it?  All Bryston owners pay for that warranty I don't want to be paying so some moron can use his Bryston as a cat bed which in turn blows up and all of us pay to have it fixed.

Phil A

Re: The right to void your warranty
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2015, 09:56 pm »
Obviously not a purr-fect situation :green:  I am sure Bryston has safeguards (for abuse) and is really fair.  A dealer (many moons ago) told me a story about them honoring a warranty from something that appeared to have lightning damage.  You can't ask for more than that.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2015, 10:12 pm »
I hope Bryston has the option to refuse warranty if the owner is a idiot. I commented on a photo I saw with a cat laying on top of a Bryston 4B . I called out the owner and his answer don't worry it has a 20 year warranty. I for one hope you would completely void that persons warranty as in my mind they are abusing the warranty. What is the Bryston policy regarding things such as opening a amplifier with 7 pounds of fur in it?

I imagine most companies take idiot's warranty claims on a case by case basis, which would be the warranty grantors right, seeing as how they are the ones potentially coughing up dollars for the repair.

I am puzzled by your concern as to someone allegedly abusing said warranty. How would this affect you, your equipment or your life for that matter?

Maybe there's a fur clause buried in the fine print somewhere...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2015, 10:18 pm »
:)

I imagine most companies take idiot's warranty claims on a case by case basis, which would be the warranty grantors right, seeing as how they are the ones potentially coughing up dollars for the repair.

I am puzzled by your concern as to someone allegedly abusing said warranty. How would this affect you, your equipment or your life for that matter?

Maybe there's a fur clause buried in the fine print somewhere...

kgturner

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2015, 10:23 pm »

The way I read it is that he's concerned that he's paying extra for the warranty because some "moron" might get warranty coverage. Sounds petty to me.

Kevin T

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2015, 10:29 pm »
Our markup is based purely on cost of parts and labour, also we proactively look to improve the reliability of our gear.  We just see the 20 year warranty as our way of saying we believe in our product.

Our amps have a thermal shutdown safety on each channel, assuming the circuit is working the worst case would be the channel shutdown prematurely.  As fo shorts, each Bryston amp has a combination of fuses and circuit breakers, so shorts that may occur shouldn't do any permanent damage.  I could be mistaken, but most of our warranty work an amplifiers if usually with the switches on the back.  This was one of the improvements that came to the 2.5B, the switches are no longer in the audio path, rather they trigger sealed relays.  The relay switch combo is just one example of how we actively look for ways to further bullet proof our gear.  Before any one asks why don't any of the other amps have this, it's just the 2.5B is the most recent to be released and how many people have posted "my 4b is in to get a switch replaced".  Until that happens the 4b has and all our other amps have 20 year warranty.

Cheers
Chris

2 channel man

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2015, 11:32 pm »
Obviously not a purr-fect situation :green:  I am sure Bryston has safeguards (for abuse) and is really fair.  A dealer (many moons ago) told me a story about them honoring a warranty from something that appeared to have lightning damage.  You can't ask for more than that.

Not really a great business model . If in fact all of us are paying for idiots so they can abuse the product . I may be about to drop Bryston like a hot potato . Is it a 20 year warranty because it is good or because Bryston is too scared to say I`m sorry warranty does NOT cover this .

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2015, 11:57 pm »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:08 am »
A little pussy never hurt anything!     :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:14 am »
Not really a great business model . If in fact all of us are paying for idiots so they can abuse the product . I may be about to drop Bryston like a hot potato . Is it a 20 year warranty because it is good or because Bryston is too scared to say I`m sorry warranty does NOT cover this .

For many, the purchase of the Bryston is due to their warranty (not to mention great sounding stuff).  The warranty is specific (and as noted in an earlier post it is because they believe in their products - "Bryston analog audio products and loud speakers are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects for twenty (20) years from the original date of manufacture..... This warranty is considered void if the defect, malfunction or failure of the product or any component part was caused by damage (not resulting from a defect or malfunction) or abuse while in the possession of the customer. Tampering by persons other than factory authorized service personnel or failure to fully comply with Bryston operating instructions voids the warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which may vary from province to province and country to country."

Most reputable companies will have similar language in their warranty (although except for Odyssey I don't know of any who offer as long a warranty period as Bryston).  In my opinion it is the best part of buying Bryston.  It is a known quantity as to what you are buying and the company making it.  Many mass market companies make stuff that becomes defective and then vs. giving the benefit of the doubt where it is possible there was a problem try to skate around the issue.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:14 am »
A little pussy never hurt anything!     :duh:

hysterical :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:26 am »
hysterical :lol:

I'm surprised no one else, er, JUMPED on it earlier.   :icon_twisted:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:57 am »

That you would abandon gear that (presumably) you like because of misguided conjecture about a manufacturer's  warranty seems rash.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:39 am »
That you would abandon gear that (presumably) you like because of misguided conjecture about a manufacturer's  warranty seems rash.

Rash: adj.  From the Latin for "dumb as a cardboard box..."

Bill310

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:50 am »
What is the Bryston policy regarding things such as opening a amplifier with 7 pounds of fur in it?

I am guessing that night the tech has a bit of the Hair of a Dog

All Bryston owners pay for that warranty I don't want to be paying so some moron can use his Bryston as a cat bed which in turn blows up and all of us pay to have it fixed.

Actuarially speaking, there would be no loading into the cost of the warranty for cat fur or the spilling of a glass of red wine. The warranty is for possible known production/ material  issues. Bryston has a great warranty because of their known QC before their products leave the factory is very high. Think of these things that concern you are the equivalent of being struck twice by lightening while dancing, first while you are dancing with a playboy bunny, and the second when you were dancing with a dolphin

If i owned Bryston I would be delighted to warranty your 7 pounds of cat fur situation.... it would make a great ad or tweet.

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2015, 04:41 am by Bill310 »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:50 am »
Rash: adj.  From the Latin for "dumb as a cardboard box..."

Ah, come on now, thunder, I was trying to be, um, diplomatic and  you go and drag the harsh reality out into the light...

You should give yourself 20 lashes.

Or better yet, get some hottie to do it.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2015, 04:07 am »
Yeah, I'm ashamed of myself..... :lol: