My thoughts on The Denver Show

dbarnet

« on: 13 Oct 2004, 12:41 am »
:D For some time now I have been contemplating the purchase of the GR Research Alpha LS speakers and Dodd Audio electronics. I normally go to my local Audio Shop, audition the components I am interested in, and make a buying decision.  I was very concerned about spending my hard earned money on something I hade not listened to before.

I was trying to decide if a trip to Texas was in order when I learned that both companies would be attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, being held in Denver. I made a decision to drop a Kilo-Buck and go to the show. When I arrived, I was amazed at just how many $$High-End$$ companies were in attendance. This wasn’t just a “Fest”, but a major showing of the big guns in audio.

My first stop was at the GR Research/Dodd Audio suite. Actually they had two rooms set up. I just had to hear the Alpha -LS’s. I met Danny and he answered many of the questions that I had. Then I was introduced to Gary. I must say that these guys are for real and very friendly.

The first system I listened to consisted of a pair of A/V-1’s that were driven by a pair of  Gary’s 120 W Mono Blocks, his reference preamp topped with a CD player , an Ack!DAC topped off with cables and tweeks by Michael Garner of CryoTweeks. I enjoyed the system but I had to go next door to see the Alphas. Set up in an similar configuration but using the 50 W Mono Blocks. I was really impressed with this system but wanted to get my feet wet listing to the high priced spread in the other rooms.

On the second day I listened to some very serious equipment, some costing as more than $150,000 big ones. I was very impressed by some of the systems but they were clearly out of my budget. The next day I returned back to the GR Research/Dodd Audio suite. This time Gary had the 120 W Mono Blocks hooked up to the Alpha’s and I did some serious listing.

I am 57 years old now and I have played the drums for about 30 years. When I was young student I studied with Buddy Rich, and Joe Morello was my idle. I feel that a high quality recording of percussive instruments can make or break a system. My drums are made by the Drum Workshop and each drum is tuned to a specific frequency. Cymbals are by Zildjian.  Many drummers use these same drums in recording and live performances. One of the highlights of the show was a concert by Patricia Barber. The next morning I was back listing to the Alpha-Dodd system. Gary played a cut from the Patricia’s album “Cafe Blue” my jaw dropped when I heard the same DW drums that I had heard the night before.. The attack and decay of the Tom-Tom’s was amazing. Cymbals sparkled and there various harmonics lingered on. The “Johnny Craviotto” snare drum sounded solid, deep, warm and crisp.  The upright electronic bass was tight, clean and quick, Patricia’s voice was lushes and smooth, her piano glorious.

Needles to say, I have found what I believe is a truly remarkable system regardless of price.  For those of you who couldn’t attend the show, I can assure you that the two guys behind these companies are straight shooters and their products are first rate.

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:35 pm »
Thanks David,

I appreciate you posted your impressions, and it was nice meeting you as well.

Not surprisingly we had a lot of people that stopped by and had similar impressions.

It was a really good show for us to say the least.

dbarnet

Dsnny's Secret Stash
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2004, 05:15 pm »
:o
Danny,

I forgot to mention one of the biggest surprises you had in store for us.

On Sunday when I went back into the room where I first heard the AV-2’s, these speakers were replaced with the new A/V-3’s. A port terminated transmission line. WOW these speakers were awesome. I own a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce’s, a much respected speaker. But the A/V-3’s just blew the Vandersteen’s away. At first I thought that the sub woofer that was in the room was turned on. To my surprise it was not and I suggested that they put a sign on the Sub that said “Not Turned On”. There was Danny grinning from ear-to-ear, knowing what I and the other show attendees were hearing for the first time. I listened to a number of speakers this size, some looked like robots, some with plastic panel’s to make them look expensive, and most were.  But none of them sounded as good as the A/V-3”s

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2004, 06:40 pm »
Thanks again David, but that first pair you heard were A/V-1's.

And yes, we really had fun in that room.

dbarnet

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2004, 08:13 pm »
:oops:

OOPS