Integra DTC 9.8 Pre-Pro, Repair or Replace?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Integra DTC 9.8 Pre-Pro, Repair or Replace?
« on: 20 Sep 2015, 04:53 am »
Just lost sound output on this tonight. It's most likely the HDMI board...a known problem. Oddly when I reset the unit to see if that might fix, the front display went dark. Arggghhh!

Onkyo knows they have a problem with HDMI boards that fail, and have even done out-of warranty repairs, but I suspect that's to original owners. I bought this used, so I imagine I'll foot the bill should I have it repaired. I've read on web that this repair can be 300-$500, which gives me pause. Unit is at least 6or 7 years old. Some AVS Forum members have reported  this occurring even after the repair.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just look for another, but really don't like the idea of researching a purchase in a hurry. This unit really does everything I want. Audyssey room set up, video upscaler, and I only run 5.1. Of course, something new/used and different is enticing, but it's money I really hadn't planned on spending.  Also don't really want to be without for long period. God forbid I have to listen to the speakers build into TV, I think that's illegal or something, isn't it?

Suggestions on how to proceed or even offers of equipment you might have for sale appreciated.

Phil A

Re: Integra DTC 9.8 Pre-Pro, Repair or Replace?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2015, 12:48 pm »
Good luck on finding a replacement.  Nice piece for HT.  I bought one used in an integrated AV system (with HT Bypass) and used it for a few years and liked it (sold it a bit before a move). Perhaps something like these?  http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/audioamps/home-audio/receivers-amps/processors-power-amps/1.html

Doublej

REPLACE
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2015, 01:16 pm »
Way too old and too much of a bad reputation for various types of failure for rolling the dice on a $300-$500 repair.  Better to invest a little more money in something new that will last hopefully for 10 years.

I was thinking along the same lines as Phil's recommendations. Outlaw makes a solid unit for under $600 but doesn't have the feature set you desire.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2015, 01:25 pm »
Wow Phil, thanks.  They seem to have killer pricing. Makes new all that much more enticing. Any experience with the company?

It's funny and kind of sad that I'm considering buying an additional unit and then, depending on cost, repairing old as a spare.  I guess one knows when they're hooked when they start thinking like this. I actually have a spare, I guess, an old Theta Casa Nova that I paid dearly for but it has no video switching or processing.

Is there a hot ticket these days that stands head and shoulders above the rest? I think Onkyo and Integra were considered big bang for buck when I bought the 9.8

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2015, 02:16 pm »
Wow Phil, thanks.  They seem to have killer pricing. Makes new all that much more enticing. Any experience with the company?

It's funny and kind of sad that I'm considering buying an additional unit and then, depending on cost, repairing old as a spare.  I guess one knows when they're hooked when they start thinking like this. I actually have a spare, I guess, an old Theta Casa Nova that I paid dearly for but it has no video switching or processing.

Is there a hot ticket these days that stands head and shoulders above the rest? I think Onkyo and Integra were considered big bang for buck when I bought the 9.8

Yes - I have an Onkyo 1008 right now in the main system (originally used in the old house in the basement system - probably about 5 years old give or take). I bought the Onkyo directly as a result of hearing the DTC 9.8 in the main system (as it really was impressive for HT).  I had a Bryston SP 1.7 pre/pro and decided for my integrated AV system to move away from expensive processors and go the route of a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass and a receiver (I had 5 channels of amplification intially and now just have the front 3 channels).  I bought a Denon (1000) from them for the guest/bonus room upstairs where I have a 4.1 system.  I've recommended them to a couple of other people and they have bought from them as well.  I'd recommend testing everything throughly when you get it from the set-up mic (I think they cover accessories like that for a couple of months) through all the preamp out channels (that would be covered until the year warranty of the refurb).  Receivers/processors have technology that changes rapidly.  I'm looking at Atmos and DTS:X first for a secondary system (have in ceiling surrounds and side surround speakers ready to go) and then the main system (had in-ceilings installed in the Spring so whenever I get to it is ready).

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2015, 02:20 pm »
PM sent.

Best,
Ed

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2015, 02:26 pm »

In my experience, generally, for music I like Marantz (don't know about recent models that much - have a SR6003 in the one back-up system I'm thinking about upgrading and then I'll move the 6003 to the bonus/guest room if it fits in the furniture - got the Denon as it is only about 13 inches deep).  For HT, I like Onkyo or Integra but am willing to try other things.  If I upgrade the main system at some point, I'll move the Onkyo to the master bedroom system (which feeds the outdoor speakers and it should fit) and decide what to do with the Pioneer 1120 in there now (had it in the bonus/guest room but it was a hair too deep - the 6003 is a hair less and I'll try drilling some more holes to make cable runs easier and perhaps the receiver will sit a drop further back).

I view receivers/proccessors as something if you get 5 years use out of (much like a computer), that's acceptable and if it's more, that's great.  All the mass market brands are a crapshoot as they are generally made in various factories (unlike something like Rotel which has their own factory and one would assume better quality control).

The 1008 I have the five years out of and the Marantz 6003 is about 8 years old.  I have an old Sony STR-V444ES in the office system that is at least 12 years old and will just rotate something in its place if and when I upgrade.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2015, 05:00 am »
Id definitely toss the integra without a second thought. Spending money on a repair for that unit would be tossing good money after bad. Sonically speaking your Theta Casanova will sound a lot better - but unfortunately doesn't have automated room correction or presumably support for DTS MA or DD TruHd , which to me are bigger deal breakers than lack of HDMI switching.

There was a time I'd say run for a marantz refurb from accessories for less, but the new marantz's are sounding more and more like Denon's, which isn't a good thing. So I'd considered Yamaha or Pioneer Elite - or if you can spend more, an Anthem (even if they are made in China now as well).

Odal3

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2015, 04:29 pm »
There was a time I'd say run for a marantz refurb from accessories for less, but the new marantz's are sounding more and more like Denon's, which isn't a good thing. So I'd considered Yamaha or Pioneer Elite

So what has changed? Dacs? Processor? I asking since I was considering buying one of the Marantz and I have no opportunity to test listen. I currently have a very old Pioneer elite (before hdmi) .

@Phil - have you picked out a favorite for the upgrade yet?

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2015, 05:06 pm »
So what has changed? Dacs? Processor? I asking since I was considering buying one of the Marantz and I have no opportunity to test listen. I currently have a very old Pioneer elite (before hdmi) .

Dolby Atmos and DTS X are new (plus new ones will be 4k video compliant if that gets off the ground).  Thinking about the small secondary system first as an upgrade as I may be more picky and want to wait on what is released before starting on the main system (I have 11.2 or 7.1.4 as it is referred to in Dolby Atmos ready to go speaker wise).  The back-up system has an old Marantz 6003, which I'd like to put in the guest room (it is probably about 8 years old).  I have in-ceiling surrounds and a pair of extra speakers laying around (just need stands) for using for side surrounds and convert the in-ceilings for Atmos/ DTS X.  I'll probably wait until accessories4less.com has Marantz SR5010s available (may be several months).  I have a Sherbourn preamp (with HT Bypass) and an Emotive amp (for the left and right channels) in that system already.  For the main system, I'll just wait.  I expect at CEDIA in a couple of weeks there may be more announcements of upcoming receivers with the new formats.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2015, 06:39 pm »
Here's a update on where I'm headed. Project gets bigger in scope 'cuz I let it, I suppose. Y'all know how it goes.

The Theta was/is a nice piece of gear, but no switching and a really clunky GUI is more than I want to live with now. I kept it active for a long time. One of the initial attractions to it was a supposed upgrade path. Well, that path dead ended when Theta abandoned further development. Seems I have a penchant for choosing gear like that. The Casa Blanca lives on, but way beyond what I'm willing to spend on this system.

ebag4 made me a deal on a 9.8 he wasn't using. I see it as in interim piece. I'll keep my eyes open for a likely replacement. Anthem stuff looks nice, but honestly has more capability than I think I'd use. Looks like balanced output gear is more common now, so might head that direction, which would necessitate an amp change. I've got a big honkin' ATI 2505, but single ended only. That old girl requires a 20 amp circuit and is sure to make you grunt when moving her. Maybe class D...

This won't ever be a nosebleed type system. I may have headed that way at one time, but multiple audio setups and other dollar eating hobbies preclude it.

It's damn difficult to gauge anything by a recognized  brand name anymore...tools, audio gear, cars, you name it. More and more, I just want to purchase something that lasts.  And now when I read about anything that claims future-proofness, I take it with a big grain of salt. Been there, done that.   

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2015, 08:48 pm »
Congrats on the purchase. I agree with your comments about future proof.  I don't think as many manufacturers make that claim as they used to.  That's why I ended up with a main system with a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass.  I also have that in a secondary home theater and a third system, which, at the moment, I'm only using for two channel (I do have in-ceiling surrounds if I change my mind for some reason). So I end up with an amp and preamp I can live with and when something knew comes along, I don't mind buying a factory refreshed receiver from accessories4less.com.  If something changes in 5 years, then just replacing the receiver with a factory refurb is not horrible (at least to me).

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2015, 11:39 pm »

Guess I'm just getting cranky - since the 0005 models it just seems that they keep getting chincier and lighter (but supposedly higher power) with no significant improvement, just maybe a bell or whistle or two. And I've heard from more than one source that they are getting to sound more like Denon's with each newer generation - ie brighter more "hifiy" in a bad way (they are part of the same holding group after all). Marantz to me where always the most Musical and well built of the mass market receivers, but they seem like they are in a race to the bottom now like everyone else.

Speaking of a Pioneer Elite - just installed an Sc-85 for a full on atmos system for a friend (with the apioneer Elite Atmos speakers) and a I was very impressed. I'd look for one of those class d Pioneer Elite receivers if your doing primarily home theater or gaming. Otherwise if Music is more of a priority, maybe Yamaha at the low end and NAD or Anthem at the higher end.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm »
Here's a update on where I'm headed. Project gets bigger in scope 'cuz I let it, I suppose. Y'all know how it goes.

The Theta was/is a nice piece of gear, but no switching and a really clunky GUI is more than I want to live with now. I kept it active for a long time. One of the initial attractions to it was a supposed upgrade path. Well, that path dead ended when Theta abandoned further development. Seems I have a penchant for choosing gear like that. The Casa Blanca lives on, but way beyond what I'm willing to spend on this system.

ebag4 made me a deal on a 9.8 he wasn't using. I see it as in interim piece. I'll keep my eyes open for a likely replacement. Anthem stuff looks nice, but honestly has more capability than I think I'd use. Looks like balanced output gear is more common now, so might head that direction, which would necessitate an amp change. I've got a big honkin' ATI 2505, but single ended only. That old girl requires a 20 amp circuit and is sure to make you grunt when moving her. Maybe class D...

This won't ever be a nosebleed type system. I may have headed that way at one time, but multiple audio setups and other dollar eating hobbies preclude it.

It's damn difficult to gauge anything by a recognized  brand name anymore...tools, audio gear, cars, you name it. More and more, I just want to purchase something that lasts.  And now when I read about anything that claims future-proofness, I take it with a big grain of salt. Been there, done that.

Ati are damn fine all American amps (they make Theta among other as well). That's a keeper. No substantial advantage to balanced unless your pre pro and amp are super far apart. Lots of gear has "fake" balanced anyway (ie Marantz) - ie they have xlr connectors but the circuits are not actually balanced. So I wouldn't sweat balanced connections.

Anthems to me seem to keep the feature bloat and complexity low relative to others. My only gripe was I didnt like having to use an external laptop to run room correction software  (though I think it's all onboard now with latest generation).

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2015, 09:32 pm »
Been looking for my "next big thing" processor. Sure seems like bang for buck lies in the Marantz & Onkyo camp. They seem to own the market in feature set I want at a price that's not sky high. Less buzz about Denon, Sony, Pioneer, but that's just internet buzz. Marantz seems like the only head to head competitor feature wise with Onkyo. 

What I can't understand is how Onkyo could go on for YEARS without fixing what they apparently know to be wrong. If it were isolated to a model or two, I'd give them another look, but it would seem the newest stuff still has issues and that spooks me away.

Emotiva looks interesting but  up there price-wise. Any experience with it?

NAD actually looks to have a processor that I might have interest in, but they're kinda obscure around here and I don't want another orphan like the Theta.

Anthem also looks like a possibility but also pricy.

This system is almost solely a TV & disc watching deal, and after having combined systems before I'm of the mind that sound quality is not paramount in this scenario. I hate to say it but is seems like decent is good enough in the electronics, maybe less so in speakers.

The one that looks appealing is the Marantz 8801...all 11.2 channels.  I'd use half of them! The $1200 refurb at Accessories for Less has a aftermarket 3 year warranty. Of course, one would hope that never needs to be utilized but...

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav8801/marantz-av8801-11.2-channel-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

So I guess what I'm asking for now are thoughts on that choice. Pan it if you like. I'm not in a hurry, but got the bug, you know. Any other specific recs also appreciated.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2015, 09:43 pm »
Unless one keeps a processor a long period of time (e.g. you are not the type to care if it isn't the latest and greatest), it is an expensive proposition (digital and video depreciate rapidly if it is not the latest), one is likely better off (unless they have limited rack space or other similar reasons) with a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass and then just getting  a receiver.  Many of the flagship processors have lots of channels and features that everyone might not want.  Anyway that's the route I went and I currently have 2 integrated AV systems with a preamp with HT Bypass and receivers which I'll be updating when accessories4less.com or another site has a decent deal on what I'm looking for.

Odal3

« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2015, 10:33 pm »
I'm looking as well and I wish they would keep the design more simple and focus on the processor/sound only. Many of the features on the high-end models are things I don't need (either don't need such as multi-zones or are duplicate from other equipment I have). I will probably end up with a receiver. Here's a take on keeping the equipment simple

https://youtu.be/ku9nm9ds-iU?list=PL0M9xqvUDwdxwgGMx5XZDRp5G-3opU0En

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm »
Unless one keeps a processor a long period of time (e.g. you are not the type to care if it isn't the latest and greatest), it is an expensive proposition (digital and video depreciate rapidly if it is not the latest), one is likely better off (unless they have limited rack space or other similar reasons) with a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass and then just getting  a receiver.  Many of the flagship processors have lots of channels and features that everyone might not want.  Anyway that's the route I went and I currently have 2 integrated AV systems with a preamp with HT Bypass and receivers which I'll be updating when accessories4less.com or another site has a decent deal on what I'm looking for.

Thanks Phil.

Assuming it doesn't break, I guess I'm one to keep a while. I once tried to keep on cutting edge, but 5.1 will suffice for now. I guess having an additional LFE channel may be of some use as I've got some extra sub boxes and maybe a couple of additional rear/side channels later just 'cuz I can.

I guess I assume I'll take it from whatever I pay to near zero. Casa Nova is a good case in point As I recall, around $4K new, I'd be lucky to get $200 now I suspect.

If I getting what you're saying, you're combining HT with music system? This system has an old CAL cd player and I can't tell you when it last saw a disc. This gear is leftover from an attempt at combining, which just proved a non starter, after all. Now I've got a room to watch TV and house pretty gear. It's my man-cave, though I'm not fond of the term. Two channel gear is in living room now.

I suppose I could buy a receiver and not use internal amps. Are you saying the bang for buck in better with receivers than processors?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm »
I'm looking as well and I wish they would keep the design more simple and focus on the processor/sound only. Many of the features on the high-end models are things I don't need (either don't need such as multi-zones or are duplicate from other equipment I have). I will probably end up with a receiver. Here's a take on keeping the equipment simple

https://youtu.be/ku9nm9ds-iU?list=PL0M9xqvUDwdxwgGMx5XZDRp5G-3opU0En

Right you are. I do however want video processing and I kinda like the build in room EQ too, which I've let do it's thing and then tweaked to taste. Got a dumb TV and stream through cheapo Blu Ray player

. I like how he puts it though, there is a lot "superfluous crap" for sure. That probably speaks more about marketing than anything you could hear or touch.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2015, 11:53 pm »

I suppose I could buy a receiver and not use internal amps. Are you saying the bang for buck in better with receivers than processors?

I guess that is dependent on your priorities and goals.  In my case with multiple systems, I'll just rotate things around and probably give away a 13 or so yr. old. Sony ES receiver I have in the office. 

If you're looking for 5.1 and have amps you are paying a premium for a processor with channels you'll likely never use.  Something like this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7005/marantz-sr7005-3d-ready-7.2-home-theater-networking-receiver/1.html  probably sounds really good as a preamp (and unless you have a crazy impedance on a center channel or surrounds) is nice looking and if you don't need the latest and greatest is going to be nice sound quality.  If it last a few years it is not a huge investment to get something else (vs. paying double for a pre/pro).