AYRE....what do you all think?

Sonny

AYRE....what do you all think?
« on: 17 Sep 2015, 07:05 pm »
Hey, I have had interests in AYRE for some time and well, how do they sound?  What do people think?  I love the simple aesthetics but when you look inside, there's not much.  Take this for example:

It's there V5xe amp.  150wpc into 8ohms.
Looks empty, nice case.

Opinions?

Phil A

Re: AYRE....what do you all think?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2015, 08:43 pm »
The dealer where i used to live carried the brand.  Some of the earlier stuff had what I would call a specific sound (whether one likes or dislikes it is another matter) and later on they seemed to be more tonally accurate (not sure as to the product range or dates).  Probably about 6 years or so back I heard their monoblock amps and was pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded. I had listened to their two channel universal player a couple or so years before that and to me at least it had that early Ayre sound.  I ended up buying another brand of CD player (vs. the Ayre universal) for about 40% of the cost of the Ayre as I though it was more accurate.  I had the owner of the store play 2 CD players plus the Ayre universal with CD material and he would have CDs in all of them and if I asked for track 5 of a particular CD, all three machines were started playing track 5 so other than by hearing, I could not identify which disc spinner was playing.

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2015, 08:45 pm »
When you carefully choose the right components you don't need to complicate things. Less unnecessary circuitry to get in the way of the music
  The amplifiers have a very refined & balanced sound. They don't seem to emphasize anything and don't draw your attention to any one aspect of what you are listening to. They are smooth and sophisticated like a fine wine or a good malt. I'm a big fan.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2015, 09:57 pm »
You see an empty box. What I see is a beautiful, symmetrical layout with plenty of ventilation and heat sinks, separation of circuitry, a hefty power transformer, and space to easily work (should repairs ever be necessary).

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

"Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Flac2Dac

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm »
I've had nothing but good great experiences, with the Ayre gear I've tried.

I was using an Ayre K-5xe MP, in front of a Pass XA-30.8; and I traded it, for a Pass XP-10...hoping to get a little brand synergy. I wish to hell I hadn't!

Then I picked up an AX-7 IA, for a song; and liked it so much...I sent it in for the e(volution) upgrade. And the QB-9 DSD, is my current DAC; and probably the best one I've ever had (and I've probably tried 20 in my time, and some costing twice as much).

Needless to say...big  :thumb: for Ayre.

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2015, 11:17 pm »
That's great! thanks for all the feedback!  I too have only heard rave reviews of Ayre products!  Wish I could afford some!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm »
And the QB-9 DSD, is my current DAC; and probably the best one I've ever had (and I've probably tried 20 in my time, and some costing twice as much).

Good to know as I am dac shopping right now.