Netflix: too much to watch?

JohnR

Netflix: too much to watch?
« on: 16 Sep 2015, 04:19 pm »
I know there's a "what to watch" topic and I will look at that again... :) But, has anyone experienced "too much to watch" ennui?

jazzcourier

Re: Netflix: too much to watch?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2015, 04:47 pm »
Yeah,almost way too much to choose from and sometimes it all looks like marginal viewing.We have become some kind of "spoiled" in that respect.Solution...watch the ten part original series on the rise of Pablo Escobar,"Narcos".Good news is they are shooting a second season of this amazing bit of history right now.Want something a little different,try "Time lapse",the synopsis makes it sound like a dumb teen movie,but in reality it is an edgy "twilight zone" flavored thriller.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2015, 06:00 pm »
agree with Narcos, really very good and I think historically accurate.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2015, 06:37 pm »
 :D. Luther is pretty darn good.   Narcos is excellent.   600 million a day,, that's good money ,, ha  :D
         Lovelace is a good watch too.

brother love

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2015, 08:21 pm »
I know there's a "what to watch" topic and I will look at that again... :) But, has anyone experienced "too much to watch" ennui?

Not only too much to watch, but having to wade through an awful lot that interests me little.  :cry: 

I've been a Netflix member since 2002 & have both DVD & streaming services. Over the years I have found the Netflix website to be increasingly difficult to navigate which doesn't help the cause. A large amount of titles do not pull up without already knowing the title when searching. (2) sites that can help a little with that:

http://instantwatcher.com/

http://www.allflicks.net/

PS, learned a new word today ... ennui   :thumb:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2015, 08:42 pm »

John, I just hooked up to NetFlix and Hulu last week. All I can say is Wow !! As if I wasn't lazy enough already.  :lol: I watched season 1 of Salem and loved it.
Sometimes I'd watch 4 episodes in one evening. I like the fact that I can choose what and when I watch T.V. and the pause feature is awesome.

P-man

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2015, 09:38 pm »
My family are Netflix junkies, so we love the massive selection. In fact, we've also got Amazon Prime, as the selection is different.
Say, John...Maybe you could get into a series. Something like Walking Dead or Breaking Bad?
That will break up the monotony and also keep you from having to choose what to watch.

Tell ya what, I've never been a fan of zombie movies, but my son twisted my arm and "made me" watch the first episode of The Walking Dead.
I was an instant fan and "made" my wife watch the first episode (while I watched a second time).
We're all "Dead" fans now.

Just a thought.
Bob

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2015, 11:19 pm »
We are truly spoiled for choice.  The downside of "the golden age of television" is that we are drowning in quality programs and it's almost impossible to keep up with all the good stuff. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2015, 11:37 pm »
We are truly spoiled for choice.  The downside of "the golden age of television" is that we are drowning in quality programs and it's almost impossible to keep up with all the good stuff. 
...and to add to that, it's much better now-a-days (with streaming), as opposed to "cable" when you've got 300 channels of crap and it all sucks.
It's a good problem to have when there's so much quality stuff that it's hard to choose which one.

Photon46

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2015, 12:04 am »
Well, we soon won't be "complaining" about too many things to watch. Netlix is changing their business model and will be dumping thousands of their current offerings. Instead, they plan to focus their resources on original programming which they want to sell to new markets around the world. Trying to renegotiate the movie rights for new markets on all of the thousands of films they currently carry is more trouble and expense than they want to bother with. It's a real risk IMO and it is going to fundamentally change what Netflix is all about. Time will tell if it works for them. You can Google "Netflix to focus on original offerings" and find numerous articles in business news outlets about this impending change.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2015, 12:21 am »
That's fine with me.  If the content is available via Amazon Prime or Hulu, having Netflix focus on unique content is great. 

GentleBender

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2015, 02:12 am »
I jumped on Netflix in 2000 to get away from blockbuster and the terrible selection, not to mention the oppressive late fees. I've never looked back. I have to say the dvd service has been going downhill for a while now. Not many new titles in television or waiting forever for new movies when it comes to their DVDs service.  :? I still remember when the streaming service was a joke.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2015, 03:50 am »
I've also noted that some titles are taking seemingly forever to arrive on Netflix. Been waiting I think a year for season 2 of The Americans TV show to arrive and still not even an estimated arrival date.....

But As an audiophile one of my gripes - and I'm sure I'm in even less than the 1% minority who cares  - is that too many Blu Rays from them  that should have a full on DTS MA or DD Tru-HD soundtrack have only regular Dolby digital. Believe or not I notice right away and look at the pre pro and verify it in the blu Ray home menu. Aside from greater selection, the other main reason I subscribe to the DVD service as well is to get the full on sound of the the blu Ray titles. Picture quality wise honestly the streaming HD service has gotten so good even with a good ht projector and TOTL Stewart screen I have a hard time noticing the difference. But those HD streams are DD as well - and that I do notice.

This is something I've noticed happening just in the last year. C'mon Netflix - I know it's a rental version, but does it really cost more to include the full on HQ soundtrack? 

Sorry to rant here but if anyone will sympathize with my gripe, I figure it would be the AC good folks......have considered complaining to Netflix but expect zero sympathy from them....I'd have more luck complaining that they need more midget programming - that probably has a bigger audience than audiophile centric videophiles!

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2015, 08:34 am »
Recommend IP Man and IP Man 2.

excellent.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2015, 02:46 pm »
The TV viewing landscape has changed a lot in the last few years.  I date myself saying this, but  I remember when it was exciting to get a THIRD channel added to our over-the-air broadcast.

I agree, there's almost too much to choose from, and has required a new filtering mechanism which I seem to still be refining. I have noted an odd phenomenon now that 90% of what I watch is either streamed or recorded on DVR. Taking the 2 to 3 contiguous hours to watch a movie has become hard to fit in. I seem to prefer to binge on a few episodes of something like Narcos or Breaking Bad or the soon to arrive Homeland.

Strangely, I feel almost guilty in saying that it's hard to carve out the time to watch a movie start to finish. There was a time when the choice was nearly made for me. Perusing the shelves of rental store and getting a video that had a return time of 48 hrs....ahhh, those were interesting times.

So, John, in my case, the answer to your question yes...too much stuff. I'm adjusting to a new paradigm, where I skim the viewing mountain tops and am making myself OK with not seeing or even knowing about what's in the valleys, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, I embraced Netflix early on, both as a subscriber and investor. From the investment standpoint, it has been a wild and fruitful ride which is more than I can say for some other "risky" stocks which proved to be dogs or worse yet, total losses.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2015, 10:24 pm »
 Hi Guys:
 I have Netflix streaming service. When I want to watch more currant movies I rent them from RedBox.
  But I never heard of the Netflix original series "Narcos" Thanks to my audio buds here I started watching it today.
  I agree that it is a pretty darn good and interesting series.

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

asliarun

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2015, 12:04 am »
Sometimes the movie and TV options in Netflix can be an overload.
I found watching documentaries to be quite a refreshing change.

There are some truly good ones:
- Muscle Shoals
- Sound City
- Jiro Dreams Of Sushi
- Somm
- Kings Of Pastry
- Undefeated
- Herb & Dorothy (art collectors who built an enviable art collection with peanuts)
- Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (ended up buying a juicer after watching it  :oops:)
- Chef's Table
- Mind Of A Chef
- Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton (need to watch it)

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 18 Sep 2015, 02:32 pm »
Some good ways of finding what  you want to watch are perusing online lists of people who seem to have similar interests.  IMDB.com has a number of said lists.  Some newspapers make lists of what is good/new/interesting each month.   

There are so many good shows these days with real plot and character development that you can't do very well in movies that I lean more to series.   I do watch the more interesting movies or indie films. 

Narcos was mentioned earlier.  Bloodlines was good but a little on the slower side.  Sense8 was good but a bit out there and a peculiar ending IMO.   BoJack Horseman is really funny/witty/clever if you want something a bit more lighthearted.  In that realm, also check out Mike Tyson's Mysteries.  The episodes are short 10-14 mins and there is only one season, but it is particularly amusing.   

Agree with The Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black was good for the first two seasons, but then got long in the tooth IMO.   One of my favorite shows was The Killing.

If you think you are overloaded with things to watch with just Netflix, I also have the HBO package on my cable service (free with the sports package I wanted).  My service then provides The Movie Network, HBO, Showtime and on demand for all the latest seasons of all the shows.  Then I get SHOMI which overlaps a lot with the TMN on demand but adds a lot of AMC shows and other shows. 

Charles Calkins

« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2015, 02:46 pm »
JoshK:

When do you have time to watch all that stuff?

Cheers
                                                 Charlie

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2015, 04:20 pm »
Well you have to pick and choose good stuff to watch.  There are way too many shows that are just so-so and I quit watching if they don't grab me.   I stick with the good ones and watch an episode or two (or three) a night.  Or when I am recovering from a big night out on a Saturday morning, I will binge a few more episodes of a series I like.