on the HUNT for a great OTL tube amp & dynamic driver speaker

farfignugen

Hello all, this is my first post here. I've been a long time music lover & Audiophile (for 3 decades) & have had the chance to experience a great deal of the minutiae of sonic attributes afforded us by the manufacturers & artisans  that embellish our systems & fantasies with wonder. I believe that is the epitome of what each of us aspire to behold in our personal space....WONDER. My relationship with music (& literature) has broadened  my perspective & inspired me to imagine a world vastly different than the one I know day to day. When I experience the longings & convictions of an artists rendering of the soul (& the sonic sculptures of their renderings, I am moved & I become more than I have been.

I have enjoyed low powered triode tube amps, planars & stats, point source sub/satellite systems & even line source arrays (both direct radiating & bipolar), but have never spent any time with OTL tube amps. I was extraordinarily impressed with the dynamic prowess of an old Moscode 600 early in the formation of my body of experience in audio (some 25 years ago) & although I know that's not a true OTL, I've been intrigued by the idea of escaping the constraints of all that wire between the tubes & my ears since then. I'm hoping there might be others who can shed some light by way of personal testimony about their journey into (& even away from) OTLs. I'm particularly interested in the synergy between OTLs & various speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Welcome Farfignugen, I also would like listen an OTL.

Blackmore

Welcome.  Hope some OTL guys step up and share some experiences.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Welcome, farfignugen.  :beer:

Make sure to check out the Tube-o-phile Circle.   :thumb:

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
I'm particularly interested in the synergy between OTLs & various speakers.

Hello and welcome!

Your post caught my eye... just so that I design speakers with OTL compatibility very much in mind.  Not sure how much detail would really be appropriate for me to post here, but feel free to cruise on over to my little circle and post questions. 

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Oops double post, sorry!
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2015, 05:02 am by Duke »

ACHiPo

I've been a happy owner of AtmaSphere M60 monoblocks and use them with Paul Spelz Zero Autoformers to deal with real-world speakers.  Makes for a great combination with any reasonably efficient speaker.  I ran Greybeard Audio for many years (3.8 ohm, 87 W/m) and bought Kef Reference 207/2 (4 ohm, 91 W/m) about a year ago and they pair nicely.

I want to hear Duke's speakers with them one of these days!

Rusty Jefferson

What part of the country do you live in?  I live in the DC/Baltimore metro area and have a couple David Berning OTL ZOTL amplifiers you can audition.

DARTH AUDIO

I have an upgraded David Berning ZH-270 amp. Great sounding and very different sounding amp than my old tube monoblocks!

Rusty Jefferson

Well, a lot of folks would just call that good.  :D   Don't  know what you're missing that would have you searching for something else, that's still OTL. He has a new series of SET Class A amps, without feedback, and still have  low output impedance available  (not on the website) that sound quite spectacular.