28B SST vs 28B SST 2

BrystPlug

28B SST vs 28B SST 2
« on: 4 Sep 2015, 08:04 pm »
Hey all!

Are all 28b are bsst2????  How to know if it's bsst2?!?!?  I have a serial number but missed bryston by few minutes :( they close at 4 on friday.. snif :(

audio.bill

Re: 28B SST vs 28B SST 2
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2015, 08:20 pm »
On the back of the unit the model number above the S/N indicates "28B SST2". You can see a picture here: http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/42/649150506_large_e841a25e6bc346429b04eccc8a72bcd8.png

BrystPlug

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2015, 08:31 pm »
oh nice!

Even if "2" isn'T shown on the faceplate it will be labeled as sst2 on the backplate??

Thank you :)

BrystPlug

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2015, 08:45 pm »
Seems there is no "2" on the backplate... but the dealer told me that they were the first to be made at 28b... it is supposed to be the same electronics, they just renamed it after... Who to believes :\

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2015, 09:11 pm »
Hi Jeff

We made changes to the SST2 with new power supplies and new input circuitry as of SN 180.  Prior to that all 28B’s were SST2 types I believe but I will check on Tuesday for you to be sure.

What dealer are you buying them from?

james

BrystPlug

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2015, 11:11 am »
For those who are interested, James confirmed to me that all 28B are sst2 :D  :thumb:

G E

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2015, 10:44 pm »
The 28B SST²  with the latest capacitor and transformer choices – includes serial numbers 000180 and above

BrystPlug

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:30 am »
Is there a big improvment from those latest capacitors and transformers?

Marius

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:07 pm »
Is there a big improvment from those latest capacitors and transformers?

to add to that: is it an option to upgrade? my 28b's are serial 78 and 79....

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:08 pm »

to add to that: is it an option to upgrade? my 28b's are serial 78 and 79....

Marius

We can do the capacitors but not the new Transformers as they do not fit the older chassis.

james

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:11 pm »
HI James,

Could you please elaborate a bit on the difference between the old and new capacitors and transformers? As to be able to decide an upgrade is necessary?
New transformers are even bigger than the old ones.....?

Thanks,
Marius

We can do the capacitors but not the new Transformers as they do not fit the older chassis.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:35 pm »
MEMO: TO All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Upgrades for Bryston SST² Amplifiers

February 2010

Hi All,

We have recently made some improvements to our SST² amplifiers and we will be offering an upgrade package to all our customers.

NEW POWER SUPPLY TRANSFORMER:
In conjunction with Torus Power, we have developed new transformers which are designed specifically to have very high energy storage. This is a considerably more expensive way to design a transformer, but it has clear advantages.

A 'normal' linear amplifier power-supply is made up of a transformer, a bridge rectifier and a set of filter capacitors. The filter capacitors smooth the DC in the rectified waveform, and also store energy to supply large transient current demands from the speakers. The filter capacitors in turn are recharged by the transformer on each half-cycle. However, that recharging takes place on the very peaks of the 60Hz waveform, over only a few degrees of conduction. Thus, although the average current from the power cord is only a few Amperes, it is actually a series of very narrow, very high peaks of current, as much as 50 Amperes or more per half-cycle.

Those high, narrow peaks of current have a consequence. They equate to drops in Voltage from the power cord, from the wall socket, from the wiring in the house.  A transformer designed for energy storage solves those issues. It recharges the filter capacitors directly from its own energy storage capacity, and then takes up the energy from the wall socket over the entire 60Hz waveform. Gone are the narrow peaks of 50+Amp current, gone are the Voltage drops, gone is the negative consequence of restricted instantaneous power delivery.

So all ‘NEW’ versions of the 14B SST², 7B SST² & 28B SST² incorporate these power supply changes. These transformer changes do not apply to the smaller versions of the amplifiers (2B 3B, 4B, 6B, 9B) because the advantages of this technology really only apply to very large power amplifiers with large power supplies.

2. INPUT CAPACITOR CHANGE and FEEDBACK CAPACITOR CHANGE:
We also implemented the use of some very specialized capacitors in a number of key areas in the circuitry.  There is a consistent improvement at high frequencies near and  above 20K, and up to over 60KHz. These specialized capacitors are installed at both the input stage and the feedback loop of the amplifier circuitry.  These capacitor changes are included in all new SST² amplifiers.

The upgrade is only available for ‘SST²’ amplifiers ‘NOT SST’ or previous models.                                 

At Bryston we are continually trying to improve the performance of our products. Please be aware that these changes are 'evolutionary' not 'revolutionary' in nature. They will provide subtle to noticeable improvements depending on your specific system and setup.

Upgrade Prices:

7B SST² upgrade includes new transformers and capacitors:
This only applies to 7B SST²’s below serial number 001826.

14B SST² upgrade includes new transformers and capacitors:
This only applies to 14B SST²’s below serial number 000677.

28B SST² upgrade includes new capacitors ONLY:
This only applies to 28B SST²’s below serial number 000180

Please contact Bryston at mpickett@bryston.com for any assistance.

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:43 pm »
So the one amp that needs it most, won't get  upgraded transformers...
grr

Marius

havent ever noticed narrow peaks of 50+Amp current, Voltage drops, or the negative consequence of restricted instantaneous power delivery. though. I think :scratch:

These transformer changes do not apply to the smaller versions of the amplifiers (2B 3B, 4B, 6B, 9B) because the advantages of this technology really only apply to very large power amplifiers with large power supplies.

28B SST² upgrade includes new capacitors ONLY:
This only applies to 28B SST²’s below serial number 000180

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2015, 05:38 pm »
So the one amp that needs it most, won't get  upgraded transformers...
grr

Marius

havent ever noticed narrow peaks of 50+Amp current, Voltage drops, or the negative consequence of restricted instantaneous power delivery. though. I think :scratch:

Yes sorry it needs a completely different chassis due to the size of the new transformers.

james

Marius

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2015, 05:44 pm »
Of course James, i understand. no need to excuse yourself..

Tell me please, would it be worth our while to only update the capacitors? I do have quite sensitive ears, tested and documented :) , but hearing over 20 kHz, let alone up to over 60khz might be overkill for the human ear?

How to proceed if we'd decide to go for it?

Marius

Yes sorry it needs a completely different chassis due to the size of the new transformers.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2015, 05:56 pm »
Of course James, i understand. no need to excuse yourself..

Tell me please, would it be worth our while to only update the capacitors? I do have quite sensitive ears, tested and documented :) , but hearing over 20 kHz, let alone up to over 60khz might be overkill for the human ear?

How to proceed if we'd decide to go for it?

Marius

I would say sonically it is not necessary especially with the distances and shipping and labour cost issue involved.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2015, 04:32 pm »

james

hmmm...out of curiosity I went to the Bryston website and looked up the SST2's and original SST and the dimensions are the same. How is it that the new transformers don't fit? Is it an internal layout/space issue as it doesn't seem to be that the old chassis was to small?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2015, 04:39 pm »
hmmm...out of curiosity I went to the Bryston website and looked up the SST2's and original SST and the dimensions are the same. How is it that the new transformers don't fit? Is it an internal layout/space issue as it doesn't seem to be that the old chassis was to small?

Hi

Correct - the mounting points are different which necessitated the redesign of the main chassis.

james