some basic starting questions hopefully?

flavo

some basic starting questions hopefully?
« on: 28 Aug 2015, 09:25 pm »
I've got lots of questions. Most are probably on the simple side but I've got to start somewhere and have no where to hear these things.

I recently built a pair of x-statiks and it is my 1st taste of OB. I'm really thrilled with the sound and the wall of music that comes out of them. But I'm curious if I can have more sound and want to be more thrilled!
I hear of folks talking about how they are surrounded by the music. I'm assuming they are not waxing poetic? 
Is this equally a room treatment issue as much as the speaker as itself? I'll attach a photo of my listening spot.

I'd like to build another OB and have been reading about different builds for about a month now. But not having heard anything but my own, I'm hesitant to spend the money. 
I'm about to place an order for a couple of alpha15s and a yung plate amp to build some h frames to play with.
What would be a good speaker for me try on top 1st? I'd like to try and run it wide open first to see what that's all about. Plus my brain does many things well. Trying to figure out this x over stuff is pretty daunting for me though. I figure I can go slowly into it and I should at least get something built to start on.

I'd like to say that the previous speaker was the Tekton lore and I found it to be a little hot in the upper region, or bright for me in my system.

I was thinking of the beta 12lta to start or maybe the betsy? I could certainly spend more if the consensus is that I should. I just thought one of those might help get me a bass line for what I want or need.
(edit): I bought a set of Betsy'

To the right of the table is a brick fireplace. To the left is an 8' bar top that opens into the kitchen. And my hybrid open baffles are pulled away from the wall appropriately.

Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2015, 06:31 pm by flavo »

gab

Re: some basic starting questions hopefully?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm »
Flavo - how far from the rear/side walls were the x-statiks? Your room looks to be a tad small to get the OBs out at least 3' from other surfaces without hitting that table (unless the picture is deceiving me).

gab

flavo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2015, 10:33 pm »
The X's are out 33". the picture is a bit deceiving now that i look at it with strangers eyes.

The table is just out of view here.
Room is 13x25 and my seated postion is 9' from the speaker face.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2015, 09:16 pm »
I did the Betsy over Alpha thing a few years ago and got hooked on OB's. Made me forget about the Zu's which I sold not long after. Single H-frame Alphas are very nice and I still enjoy them but they lack the output you get from two Alphas per side on flat baffles. Have never tried two H-frames per side as I lack the real-estate but they would probably be even better.