Can a Benchmark DAC1 drive Senn 650's effectively?

arthurs

« on: 10 Oct 2004, 01:43 pm »
I've been told a separate HP amp is required but have heard from others who drive them just fine using the HP amp of the DAC1...any thoughts?  Thanks.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2004, 06:17 pm »
I can't comment specifically on the 650, but my DAC1 does an excellent job with my 600's.

ooheadsoo

Re: Can a Benchmark DAC1 drive Senn 650's effectively?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2004, 11:32 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
I've been told a separate HP amp is required but have heard from others who drive them just fine using the HP amp of the DAC1...any thoughts?  Thanks.

Ever check out head-fi.org?  They have about 10 or a few more dac1 users there, I think.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2004, 12:05 am »
Hey! This is a question for me!!!!
I have a Toshiba 3950 connected to a
Musical Fidelity X-10v3 connected to a
Van Alstine T7 which has a headphone jack.
I have HD650's.
I have a DAC1.

I don't do much headphone listening, but I checked out Michelle Shocked's remastered Short Sharp Shocked and equalized the volume between the two rigs, switching the headphone jack as quickly as possible.

And...

They both sound good, I want to say the preamp setup is marginally better than the DAC1, especially because I'm trying to be a "tube" kinda guy. But one thing's for certain: the equalized volumes translates to 1:30 PM on the clockface Van Alstine preamp volume dial whilst the DAC1 is at 9AM!

I can't imagine you'd need a separate amp to drive the HD650's, at least from a volume standpoint.

biz

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2004, 10:03 am »
Well, I went back to listen some more and realized that the T7's volume control was turned up high because it needs the output of the DAC1 which is connected. So while I was able to do a volume-to-volume head-to-head comparison, it may not be fair because normally the DAC1's output is turned up to 12 o'clock allowing the T7 to run a volume of 9 o'clock. Hope that makes sense.

Still doesn't negate the fact that the DAC1 has plenty of power to drive the HD650's in my opinion.

biz

sethk

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2005, 05:06 pm »
There is some buzz about using the balanced outs of the Benchmark 1 to drive 650s through a balanced cable. It's supposedly a big step up from the headphone out. Granted you would need to buy a balanced cable for the 650s, but it sounds like it might be worth it. I dont have a benchmark 1 myself, but after reading the buzz on head-fi regarding the balanced out quality, I'm very tempted to try this combo.