Is the California Audio Show Dying?

steve f

Is the California Audio Show Dying?
« on: 17 Aug 2015, 03:29 pm »
Moderator please feel free to move my post. I didn't see any audio show topics.

I just returned from the California Audio Show. It's a nice venue location. The people are friendly. So why are manufacturers and dealers ducking the show? It shrank considerably from last year.

With the exception of Pass amplifiers in quite a few rooms, so many businesses didn't appear. Especially speaker companies. No Wilson, VSA, Martin Logan, etc. where were McIntosh, Audio Research, Krell?

Whats up?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Is the California Audio Show Dying?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2015, 04:15 pm »
Manufacturers, especially smaller ones, can't do every show and some shows will probably die.

The manufacturer's goal at a show is to get folks in the door but many shows don't do enough to advertise, so people have no idea it exists and attendance is low as a result. RMAF was the original and maybe they feel they don't need to advertise, but almost all my friends give me a blank stare if I mention RMAF. Nobody outside the audio community knows it exists. If RMAF and other shows want to continue to exist they need to advertise in a big way to reach enough people and drum up attendance, otherwise manufacturers won't bother to go which will make it less attractive for potential attendees to go, and the show will die. I already see the downward spiral happening at RMAF and I hope they will put some cash into advertising even if it means charging more for both manufacturers and attendees.

steve f

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2015, 04:56 pm »
At the CAS it was the big guys who didn't show. Local California companies passed it by. I thought the show was well organized but not publicized enough. I overheard some audiophiles complaining that there need to be more companies attending.

If they don't do better next year, why bother?

I can't go to RMAF this year, schedule conflict.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2015, 05:10 pm »
Here is the link to the the listing:

https://caaudioshow.com/cas6-exhibitors

Best,
Anand.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2015, 07:14 pm »
Manufacturers, especially smaller ones, can't do every show and some shows will probably die.

It's true for attendees too.  We can't go to every show.  Some of them are also really not that far apart time wise (and that makes it difficult to both manufacturers and attendees.  I'll probably try to go to the RMAF in 2016 (going to the CAF at the end of next week).

skalos

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2015, 07:52 pm »
I was at the show on Sunday.  The last CA audio show I attended was the first one in2009 (I think) in Emeryville.  Therefore, I can't comment on the in between years. 

The show is not a huge show but I enjoyed it anyway so I hope it does not die.

This years show was comfortable and easy to get around in.  I also never had a problem getting into a room because it was too packed.  Maybe this means it wasn't well attended, I'm not sure.  I was happy with the vendors who displayed at the show so I don't think I was missing anything.  Lastly, for $7 on the last day, it broke down to $1.40 per hour for an enjoyable time.  I particularly enjoyed Andrew Jones w/Elac, and Dan Schmalle w/Bottlehead.

Question for others that were at this year's show.  In the High Fidelity Cable room, what speakers were they displaying?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2015, 08:30 pm »
Actually, RMAF is not the original.
It started back in 2004.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/rockymtn2004/

The original one is THE Show (The Home Entertainment Show) in Las Vegas and then expanded to THE Show Newport a few years back.

I DO agree however on the decrease in attendance at RMAF year per year.
On the other hand, it is still the biggest show in The US with THE Show Newport not too far behind with one exception, THE Show Newport's attendance had been increased steadily since Year One.

The manufacturer's goal at a show is to get folks in the door but many shows don't do enough to advertise, so people have no idea it exists and attendance is low as a result. RMAF was the original and maybe they feel they don't need to advertise, but almost all my friends give me a blank stare if I mention RMAF. Nobody outside the audio community knows it exists. If RMAF and other shows want to continue to exist they need to advertise in a big way to reach enough people and drum up attendance, otherwise manufacturers won't bother to go which will make it less attractive for potential attendees to go, and the show will die. I already see the downward spiral happening at RMAF and I hope they will put some cash into advertising even if it means charging more for both manufacturers and attendees.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2015, 08:34 pm »
Furthermore, there exists so many shows these days so people (manufacturers & attendants) need to pick and choose which one(s) to exhibit/attend.

orientalexpress

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2015, 10:43 pm »
I actually enjoy the show this year more so then previous year,I get to play my own music this year,last year not many vendor let us play our musics .we're get to sit down and do critical listening then any other year.I love it. :D

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2015, 12:27 am »
Actually, RMAF is not the original.
It started back in 2004.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/rockymtn2004/

The original one is THE Show (The Home Entertainment Show) in Las Vegas and then expanded to THE Show Newport a few years back.

I DO agree however on the decrease in attendance at RMAF year per year.
On the other hand, it is still the biggest show in The US with THE Show Newport not too far behind with one exception, THE Show Newport's attendance had been increased steadily since Year One.

I remember going to audio shows in the 1970s. I think that is long before THE Show. My favorite exhibit was the Dual turntable suspended upside down on four springs slowing moving up and down while playing an LP.

RPM123

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2015, 01:56 am »
I spoke with a San Jose dealer several months ago and he told me that there was a big question if the CAS would even happen this year. It's very expensive to participate in audio shows and apparently attendance has been dwindling at CAS. Perhaps there is just not the market for it in the Bay Area anymore as participants and audiophiles are getting ever pickier about where they spend  their time and money. There is probable more bang for the buck at the larger shows. Also, could be a case of "self fulfilling prophecy" ..."I heard that attendance will be down even more this year, so I probably won't sign up". And there a lot of techies in the Bay Area who probably could give a crap about Hi-Fi! Changing demographics.   :(