how to ship speakers without the original packing material & boxes

Q3Di

Hello,
I am looking for a safe way to ship the speakers without the original packing material and boxes.
My initial plan is to purchase the original boxes from the manufacture (Safe but may not be the most economical way because I am responsible for all shipping costs).
The alternative is to wrap them, pack in Uhaul wardrobe boxes with hard foam (insulation foam from homedepot). Then strap them to the pallet.
What is your suggestion?
Does anyone know a trucking company can ship from San Francisco to Baltimore?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Wind Chaser

Hello,
I am looking for a safe way to ship the speakers without the original packing material and boxes.

I've done it a few times so I know it can be done; what are the speakers? A picture would be very helpful.

Q3Di

The speakers are Meridian DSP5200, about 80 lbs each.

bacobits1

Moving blankets, shrink wrap, outer crated and palatalize.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
By the time you got to all the trouble to make boxes you might find it cheaper to buy new boxes from the manufacturer.  And you won't be on the hook for substandard packing claims if damage occurs.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
This from Jeff Bagby on another site:
"
It really depends on the weight. Smaller speakers are usually pretty safe to ship. If you ship large floor-standers then you've gotta assume they're going to get tossed around a lot. Jim Salk, and Mark at Mensicus, will take 2" foam insulation and cut the sheets on a table saw to fit the six sides fo the speaker. They secure those panels by wrapping with plastic wrap. Then this goes into a box fitted for the speaker. If the speaker is on the heavy side another layer of foam is used and it is double boxed. I have never received a cabinet from either that had any loose packing material like peanuts. Everything is stable so it can't move. If the speaker can move around then eventually an edge or corner will be exposed and it will get damaged. Deward's recommendation for the corner guards is a good idea too. You saw my speakers. Trust me, you only have to experience that once and you learn. I checked with the guys that do this all the time. They make good sense.

Jeff

2" foam insulation is a must. Double boxing is best. Box seams should be stapled and not glued. Don't use UPS.

Or if you take it to a registered FedEx shipper to be packed, FedEx is responsible for damage.

Cheers,
KP

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

Or if you take it to a registered FedEx shipper to be packed, FedEx is responsible for damage.

Cheers,
KP

Great points, all, Ken, but in my experience being responsible for the damage does not increase the likelihood that the speakers will  get there intact.  You'll still have an unhappy seller and buyer and a lot of hassle.    :roll:

And paying them to pack is very pricey.   

avta

I shipped some Magnepan 1.6's a few years ago. I took the speakers to the local UPS office and had them inspect then pack the speakers. I watched them do some of the packing. They were quite clever in the way they constructed the packaging. I insured them for the full amount of the sale and they arrived in good shape after traveling about 2500 miles.

Phil A

By the time you got to all the trouble to make boxes you might find it cheaper to buy new boxes from the manufacturer.  And you won't be on the hook for substandard packing claims if damage occurs.

I'd do that for anything of value.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird

I had mint KEF 104.2s shipped to me in original boxes with original packing inserts. By the time they arrived the boxes were so heavily damaged that they looked like they were dropped from 20'. Even the driver was shocked, and weirdly impressed. 

Even with using original boxes, UPS denied responsibility and said the boxes needed double-boxing, 2" foam insulation all around, corner pieces and box seams stapled and not glued. UPS claimed that the boxing instructions were on their site. I never found them. Anyway, the seller finally settled but after months of arguing.

Q3Di

Thanks all for your tips!
Meridian gave me a quote of $300 for the original boxes. Expensive? Price reasonable?
Would it cost less for the packing services from freight company or shipping company like FedEx?

Charles Calkins

Meridian gave me a quote of $300 for the original boxes. Expensive? Price reasonable?
Would it cost less for the packing services from freight company or shipping company like FedEx?
Years ago I had a similar problem getting speakers packed and shipped. I gave them to UPS for packing and shipping. If UPS handles the packing and shipping THEY!!! are responsible if anything goes wrong.

Cheers
                                                            Charlie

RDavidson

That seems expensive for boxes and foam inserts, BUT it may end up costing about the same to have them professionally packed (not inclung palletizing). I'd probably just let UPS or FedEx handle it all, like someone else said. This way you can rest assured that if anything goes wrong, you are not responsible. Won't be cheap, but the possibility of a mishap could cost you more.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Always hang on to the original packing if you have them.

Kishore

The speakers are Meridian DSP5200, about 80 lbs each.

I have shipped these speakers before  :) You can skip original box- not worth it for these small speakers IMHO.

As mentioned earlier, get the seller to shrink wrap/bubble wrap and tape moving blanket on these speakers and ask him if he can drop them off near SFO airport. 

I recommend you contact TeamWorldWide (teamww.com) local office and get a quote for shipping speakers (you can get dimensions online) office to office and office to your home and decide best option. These speakers can fit in your car are 35-40lbs net. You can tell seller to drop them off at teamww branch nr SFO. They will ship on pallet.

Other option is uship and get quotes online.

Good luck!

regards,
Kishore