Media room floor suggestions

Campindog

« on: 10 Oct 2004, 12:12 am »
Hi Folks,
I'm still in the planning stages for my media room, but getting close to starting construction. We just bought a house with an addition that is perfect for the project. One item of concern though, is the floor. Right now it's a bare slab. I can easliy carpet it and forget about it. Or is it worth it acoustcally to build a floating floor? If I do that, I will have to raise three doors entering the room... PITA, but I'll do it if it will make a major difference. When complete, I want that tactile feel from movies and clean sound in my music. I'm already planning on using bass traps and panels, but I don't want to end up saying "I wish I had spent the time to do someting different with the floor".
The room is 21w x 23d with 8' walls pitched to 12" (front to rear). The front wall will have a recessed RPTV with four 15"subs in an infinite baffle configuration.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
 Derek

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2004, 02:42 am »
If you are talking about a "concrete" slab than some heavy backing under carpet would be a great idea.  Go to realtraps and rives audio and read what they have to say. Sounds like you are on the right track using bass traps and room treatment. Best wishes for your new room to go well.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2004, 03:13 am »
Just carpet it and forget it.

If you want the tactile feel for movies, what you really want is a few sets of these attached to the bottom side of your couches and chairs.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-027

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2004, 06:24 am »
I think the fact he has four 15 inch subs he doesn't feel  a need for chair vibrators.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2004, 12:27 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "floating floor"?  If you're talking about Pergot floors (or equivalents), they would be considerably thinner than carpet & padding.

Wonder about going with finishing the concrete itself--
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/interiorfloors/index.html
Concrete has become fairly fashionable as countertops/floors when treated with decorative finishes resembling marble, tile etc. For acoustics, you'd probably want some strategically-placed rugs.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2004, 02:33 pm »
I think by floating floor he might be referencing building an actual riser as the floor - like what people do for second row seating in pricey HT installs.

I have a concrete floor in my listening room (basement) with carpet - I simply went with the premium, thick underpad, and have had no problems.

BTW - nice call on the FOUR 15 inch subs...

Mark in Canada

Campindog

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2004, 03:10 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, I mean it's a concrete slab. Very reflective, and carpet won't stop low frequency reflections. I not sure how important it is since I will be trapping/absorbing in the corners and such.

I was thinking about laying some cork or Corning foam on the floor then putting a plywood subfloor over that. OR gluing down furring strips and nailing a subfloor to that. But it sounds like carpeting it with a heavy pad may be the way to go. Certainly the easist.  I like the bass shaker idea though.

Yup, I've been checkin out Eight Nerve, Rives, RealTraps, and Ethan's Whiner's FAQ. Great info!

srclose

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2004, 04:40 pm »
Auralex makes some recommendations about floors.  They have a U shaped foam isolator for floor joists (sitting on a slab) and a sheet foam product for absorption of low frequencies.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2004, 09:28 pm »
I like Tonto's idea about staining the concrete floor for a fancy finish...or just carpet it.

Here is a quick drawing I did of a crazy bass trap idea that Ethan Winer suggests I believe (from what I remember reading).

Campindog

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2004, 02:29 am »
Great ideas. I think I'm just going to carpet it, but first run speaker wires to the couch and add shakers later if needed.

Although the room is just a barn right now, I hooked my system up last night using a couple of 12" subs just to watch movies until I can start the demo. These two subs made my dvd player skip in the old house. Last night I could hear the upper bass, but couldn't really "feel anything". The sound was fairly clean in both houses. This is definitely going to be a learning experience :D

warnerwh

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2004, 04:28 am »
The best part that you will be learning is how good a room with bass traps and room treatment sounds.  Forget the tiny things that amps and cables do.  Room acoustics done well will have you in sonic heaven.

Tonto Yoder

Re: Media room floor suggestions
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2004, 09:52 am »
Quote from: Campindog
Hi Folks,
I'm still in the planning stages for my media room, but getting close to starting construction. .....

The PS Audio newsletters might be interesting and helpful to you---they detail building their own listening room from demolition of existing area to finished product. Includes corner bass traps filled with books for diffraction and space for subs underneath.  As you'll notice, they DO use carpet as flooring.