Hard drive to laptop playback

Arcticdeth

Hard drive to laptop playback
« on: 13 Aug 2015, 05:56 pm »
Using a DAC , small laptop , hard drive ,
To play music.

Is this what you guys do?  How does this work?
I will be getting the parasound p-5 with all the computer inputs etc etc.
how do i hook up to stereo for playback?

I have to re-import over 3000cd's to lossless as well. As all mine are ripped at aac which is 256k???

Maybe i can fit most of my music in lossless on my 3 ipods.

Anyone doing this? Or strictly cd player & tt playback.
I have never done this and do use my ipod connected to a 1/4 inch ipod plug to rca in back of my preamp. It sounds ok, but many recordings sound horrible this way.  Anyone use alternate methods of music playback?

Ipod to preamp is SO convenient.  But i am sacrificing sq.

Phil A

Re: Hard drive to laptop playback
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:32 pm »
I have (Windows 8.1) music servers with hard drives attached.  They output to a DAC with files, both CD quality and above.  For one secondary system, before I had the music server, I used a player made for my DAC (Teac) with a hard drive attached.  Here's what I used (it is free) - http://www.teac.com/product/hr_audio_player/

There are other players as well.  I just prefer JRiver as a player (it is $50).  Foobar is free and can do all formats.

I think you'll enjoy and notice having more resolution from the source playback.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:33 pm »
This is the Foobar player that is free - http://www.foobar2000.org/

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:36 pm »
This is JRiver - http://www.jriver.com/

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:44 pm »
I find JRiver easy to use.  It allows you to easily get the album artwork and lets you see the album covers (see pic below - you can adjust the size of the album covers and see less or more for each row).  If your laptop is connected to a network and you have a smartphone or tablet, you can get an App to select the music from it (your smartphone or tablet connects to the network so you can see your music).  The Gizmo App for Android is free (see pic below of a cheapo Android Tablet) and JRemote (which I use) is a nominal cost.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2015, 11:45 pm »
I play my music through JRiver through my laptop via an external HD. Make copies on extra HD's! Definitely on more than one, 40-60 bucks is small insurance after all that work!

Arcticdeth

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2015, 12:30 am »
I can use a laptop with iTunes and my external HD ? There are 3 inputs on the DAC of the parasound p-5

USB accepts up to 96 kHz, 24-bit

Burr-Brown PCM1798 DAC with USB, Optical and Coax inputs

Coax and optical accept all sampling rates up to 192 kHz, 24-bit

Which input to use? And how to hook up to my laptop, HD ???

Help

Arcticdeth

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2015, 12:35 am »
My lp's I ripped to cd are at 196khz, how do I get these in iTunes? Or won't iTunes import at this rate?

srb

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2015, 12:52 am »
My lp's I ripped to cd are at 196khz, how do I get these in iTunes? Or won't iTunes import at this rate?

I think you mean 192KHz .....

1.  File > Add File to Library
 or
2.  File > Add Folder to Library
 or
3.  Drag and Drop to Library

iTunes will import and play files up to 24/192, but won't import or play DSD formats.

Steve

Arcticdeth

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:03 am »
I think you mean 192KHz .....

1.  File > Add File to Library
 or
2.  File > Add Folder to Library
 or
3.  Drag and Drop to Library

iTunes will import and play files up to 24/192, but won't import or play DSD formats.

Steve

SWEEEEEET!!!  thank you

Do I use coax, sub or optical with laptop? Audible difference between usb and optical at higher bit rate?

Thank you for your replies. Helps a lot

Arcticdeth

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:13 am »
I will use iTunes   Import all at lossless format.  Hook hard drive to laptop, hook computer to preamp via 1 of the three  options.  Do laptops come with optical, coax and usb  for hooking to preamp? Or do I put lossless on iPods and use the iPod jack on front of preamp also?  This is all new to me. I've always been a cd & lip guy. But having so much music so close and accessible is so convenient and easy.

Also what's up with the new scorpions remasters ??UNLISTENABLE !!!!

Probst!

Arcticdeth

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:22 am »
What is DSd ?

srb

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:25 am »
Do I use coax, sub or optical with laptop? Audible difference between usb and optical at higher bit rate?

My desktop computer has an S/PDIF coaxial output but I've never seen a laptop with one.

You could get a USB to S/PDIF coax converter and feed 24/192 to your DAC's coax input.  Optical is iffy at higher than 24/96 and possibly may not work or have dropouts.

I assume it's a Windows machine, so to avoid downsampling from the Windows internal K-mixer, you need to use a WASAPI or ASIO driver.  iTunes doesn't support either of those, so I would also recommend JRiver Media Center as well.  Then all formats will be sent to the DAC bit perfect.

What is DSd ?

DSD is Direct Stream Digital as found on SACDs and some hi-res download sites, and you need a DSD capable DAC for those anyway.

I use both iTunes and JRiver.  Files are imported into iTunes, then JRiver just monitors the iTunes library folder location.  I use iTunes to transmit to casual listening areas over Airport Express and to sync to an iPod, and I use JRiver for critical listening and to sync to an Android phone.

Steve

Arcticdeth

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:31 am »
I would be using an apple flip top laptop or a mini one with a external hd

srb

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:44 am »
To get bit perfect playback in iTunes alone you will have to change the OSX audio settings for each file resolution, or use an iTunes third party playback engine like Pure Music, or players like Audirvana or JRiver to have automatic sample rate switching.

Steve

Arcticdeth

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:12 pm »
To get bit perfect playback in iTunes alone you will have to change the OSX audio settings for each file resolution, or use an iTunes third party playback engine like Pure Music, or players like Audirvana or JRiver to have automatic sample rate switching.

Steve

Why couldnt this be easy??  Guess its HD small laptop and itunes in all lossless or higher.  Way too much shit to do.  Thank you all for your time and patience.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2015, 05:39 pm »

Why couldnt this be easy??  Guess its HD small laptop and itunes in all lossless or higher.  Way too much shit to do.  Thank you all for your time and patience.

I use a mac mini with Audirvana with an external hard drive on the fire wire connection. Not too hard to set up but it was a bit of a learning curve as I use HP computers for work.

Regarding your ipod playback I highly recommend buying a Pure i20 doc for all of $100.00. It bypasses the internal ipod dac and has a pretty darn good dac built in, or you can bypass that and use the dac of your choice. It doesn't sound as good as my mac mini but it sounds way better than the headphone out on the ipod.

electricbear

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2015, 06:27 pm »
For computer to DAC use uSB, it's the preferred connection method. Also use a good USB cable, despite what others may tell you , it does make an audible difference. I compared a Transparent in-expensive USB cable to a higher end one from AQ and the difference was not subtle. For a cheap upgrade also use an AQ Jitterbug. Best $50 you can spend.

STEREOmole

« Reply #18 on: 17 Aug 2015, 10:23 am »
Anyone use alternate methods of music playback?

I use a desktop PC (on all the time as a server for video and music, and used as a workhorse to rip DVDs and CDs) running Minimserver connected to my home network to stream FLAC and MP3s to a Pioneer Elite N-30 and an external DAC.  The Pioneer is really the best value of any network player IMO, and it streams full quality.

Dealing w/ laptops, iTunes, etc, is a huge hassle.

I'm in the process of ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC so that I can serve up any of my CDs in full quality, on demand.

/mp

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2015, 02:26 pm »
Consider VLC media player. https://www.videolan.org/ Free open source cross-platform media player (also capture). Plays most audio & video formats & streams. I have many media player programs installed on a Win 7 workstation. VLC is my default player & viewer. http://sourceforge.net is a fine place for diverse freeware.

HP Z400 workstation
Avid (the Pro Tools Avid, not the turntable Avid) MBox Pro 3 external AD/DA connected to headphones & pre-amp tape loop for digitizing LPs & playback through main speakers.
~1000 CDs ripped to a 1TB hard drive. Files stored as uncompressed WAV. Files copied to a 2nd drive. One drive in computer. The other safely stored backup. One deserves to lose one's data if it's not backed-up.