28 bsst

markkingston

28 bsst
« on: 11 Aug 2015, 09:29 pm »
was looking at a good deal to get some 7b sst2's to replace classe 5200 but missed out due to a breakdown in communication. a little bit me, mostly him.

so being a bit annoyed did the obvious thing and bought some 28 bsst's instead. also a good deal but obviously a much more expensive good deal than the 7b good deal. but the 28's are new.

just wondering if there were any vast differences between the 28 b sst and (2) version. not that i'm going to change amps as i'm never going to change amps again. ever.

also i now have them connected by 8ft of transparent ultra bi-cable which has single connectors at the amp end. this is now about double the length of cable needed so i'm not quite sure what to do; whether to sell them in which case is there any speaker cable that owners can recommend, re-terminate with the single ends separated or chop one in half, have it modified and sell the other.

Ron D

Re: 28 bsst
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm »
As far as I know the earliest of 28Bs did not have the newer transformers and caps. There might be a thread somewhere around here that would tell you the serial numbers of when the latest generation came on line, you'd have to look - if my notes are correct any unit with a serial number past 001080 will be the latest version.

With that said if you bought "new" units I would suspect that they are the latest version with the upgraded transformers & caps, unless of course you acquired an original pair that were never sold but I'd think that was rather unlikely (but not impossible...)

markkingston

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2015, 02:58 am »
thanks ron. not impossible as 000148/9 and definitely new. but same generation as harry pearson and stereophile reviews which matches my own experience so far so not world's end.

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2015, 04:39 am »
Mark - my poor typing, I meant to say 180, not 1080 but it still puts you in the same boat. Not sure what the upgrade costs are but freight both ways alone on those monsters would be rather steep. Still great amps which should bring you years of use & joy. Had you acquired the 7Bs at least you'll never have to ponder "what if I had gone for the 28s..."

markkingston

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2015, 10:50 am »
absolutely right ron-i won't die not knowing and having scrolled through the archives james tanner stated that "Yes this is OFFICIAL - the 28B SST was the first of the SST Squared Series and will not and has not changed." so i'm not too bothered and they won't change ssts anyway and i am getting happier with the 28s by the day.