Source Ideas for Stratos/Tempest

wiz

« on: 9 Oct 2004, 04:17 pm »
This is my first post (so be gentle), but I've learned alot following the board and Audio Asylum. Got a Stratos Stereo (w/ cap upgrade), Tempest, and Groneberg IC's/speaker cables 9 months ago for an office setup, and I love them. Thanks Klaus!! Speakers are Merlin TSM-M w/ osiris stands. Problem is i'm stationed in rural Germany with the Air Force and can't audition much equipment.
Big question is what cdp/dac has worked well with the Odyssey combo? I'm hoping to stay around $1000 for now (new or used), and I'm looking at the usual suspects...Jolida JD-100, Marantz 8260, Cairn Fog, Benchmark DAC-1, etc. As always..Synergy is important!
The Merlin's love Klaus' equipment, and are very musical and detailed with great imaging, but I'm hoping to add some warmth. Listen to mostly jazz and classic rock. Currently have an unmodded Toshiba 3960 (thanks to Rosconey), but I need an upgrade badly! Any thoughts on good cdp around $1000? Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2004, 04:26 pm »
Wiz, welcome to  Audiocircle.

If it were me, I would buy a CD or DVD player for $500 or less and have one of the modders here have a go at it with another $500 or so.

FWIW, at my office I listen to the radio for much of the day as it's mainly backround music.  I use a Sansui TU-X1 tuner, one of the best ever made.

FM sounds better than most CD's to me.

If quality of sound and your ability to control what you hear are of prime importance, you might also want to consider a turntable as I beleive your Tempest has a built in phono pre.

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2004, 05:03 pm »
I note I also run a cap-upgraded Stratos and Tempest combo, w/Groneberg ICs and speaker cables. I like the Jolida JD-100, with a cryoed Chris VenHaus Flavor 1 PC and a pair of JHS Gold Label Sylvania 5751WA triple mica black plates.  :D The Sylvanias will provide plenty of warmth, detail, 3-D imaging, soundstaging, etc., but they're pricey, getting harder to find, and will push you past your price point. You may want to consider a used JD-100 from AudioGon or elsewhere, and put the savings into tube rolling. [FYI - the cryoed VenHaus Flavor 2 PC pairs nicely with the Stratos, esp. if you're running the Stratos straight out of the wall. I also use a cryoed VenHaus Flavor 2 PC with the Tempest. Additionally, I imagine, if you're living off post, you need a pretty hefty transformer to run current to the Stratos!]

FYI - I also use Walker SST, and strongly advocate use of that product prior and subsequent to changing any gear, so you can more fully appreciate the effects of your components. Yes, I Walkered the 5751 pin contacts, PC/IEC/RCAs, ditto with Stratos and Tempest, etc., really made the Jolida come even more alive in so many ways.
Furthermore, I second the comments regarding the Tempest's MM/MC stage, Klaus has done a great job there as well, IMHO.

Where are you at in Germany? During my time with US Army Artillery, I was stationed in Giessen (not too far from Wiesbaden) for three years, lived off-post in a small town known as Fernwald-Steinbach. Best of luck with your search and service time. Been visiting the "houses" in Frankfurt at all? Ein Prosit!

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2004, 05:24 pm »
sheng ya s10 :mrgreen:
works great with my tempest and monos.

amartincool

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2004, 08:02 pm »
UNISON RESEARCH TUBE CD 24/192

I use it with my Tempest Xtreme and monoblocks xtreme.

It has an own preamplifier stage, two ecc82 Phiplips jan, and MOSFET in the output stage.

the output MOSFET mask a little bit the soundstage, but gives an overall warmth and body and spectacular presence of vocals. Dynamics also are great.
Detail is lost a little bit, so you can lose this little bit hte detail Odyssey is able to deliver.
The warmth is perfectly amplified to the speakers and is really nice.
For me anyway is fine and I am happy with him.
it cost aroud 1800 euros, I got new by 1400 euros.

zarco

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2004, 08:49 pm »
I use the marantz 8260..it can be bought for around 800 bucks if you shop around.Beautiful sound on cd and sacd.It feeds an audible illusions L1 and a pair of mono block extremes.groneberg interconnects and power cords on everything.By the way Just put the power cords on the marantz ans AAL1 and made a very audible improvement over the cardas and Tice PC "s I was using..so I would reccomend the marantz with the groneberg power cord highly

wiz

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2004, 09:37 pm »
Thanks for the great replies...just what I am looking for. Just a couple of follow-up questions.
DJBNH - Is your JD100 a stock unit with rolled tubes and PC? Do you have any opinion about the modded units out there (changing the "Jolida sound")? I'm really liking what I've heard about the Jolida. Also heard great things about the SST treatment. I'm planning on giving it a try after I buy a good CDP. I'm watching Audiogon like a hawk these days!
Rosconey - I've know you're very excited about your Sheng-Ya. How does the sound differ from the Toshiba? And, did you buy yours off of E-bay? Seems to be the only place I can find them right now.
Zarco - Again, heard really good reviews on the 8260 as well, but not really any comments on the actual sound. Would definitely like the SACD capabilities too. Will it warm things up a bit?
Sorry for all the questions, but, again, I can't listen to much where I am.

BTW, DJBNH, I'm stationed in Bitburg which is in western Germany. Loving it so far and have traveled alot. We visited Wiesbaden a couple of months ago and had a great time! Went to Oktoberfest last year and some great "Oktoberfest parties" this year. Ein Prosit!!!
Thanks again for all the help!!

byteme

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2004, 10:04 pm »
Nixon tubedac pair with a decent transport should be well under your $1k limit.  

I use the tubedac with a modded S7700 from Empirical Audio and it's phenominal.  I've got a Stratos stereo extreme powering Lorelei's.  Am VERY happy!

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2004, 10:09 pm »
try -nysound.com
top end is smoother-better stage width and depth -kick ass bass-mids and vocals are geat -
just a smooth and clean sounding unit.btw it is a class a  tube output . sound is hard to beat for the price. its a vincent rebadged, since your in germany you might find more info looking for vincent.

if you want sacd you might take a look at the magic boat from jungson -they are called the krell of china- they go for about a grand at agon.

i just ordered a jungson tuner :mrgreen:

djbnh

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2004, 02:06 am »
Wiz, sent you a pm. FYI - did a few O-fests myself! :mrgreen:   :wink:   :mrgreen:

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2004, 06:33 pm »
Consider a dAck!  Kusunoki style filterless D-A converter from Chris Own coupled with a good transport.  

http://www.ack-industries.com/

I'm running my Tempest/Monos/Magneplanar system with a decade old Philips CDP and a dAck! and couldn't be happier :)

--Bob

KarlDL

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2004, 07:08 am »
I, too, have a Marantz SA-8260 and am very happy with its CD and SACD performance.  I cannot comment on the IC issues, as I'm still awaiting another set of Gronebergs from Klaus.  This is my second 8260, the original wouldn't read the ToC on 60% of my CDs (a common problem).  I find its overall sound to be verrry comparable to vinyl (via Ortofon Kontrapunkt B).  It is considerably better (more open, cleaner) than the $2K Myrriad unit that my dealer loaned me while awaiting the replacement 8260.

Karl

Brian

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2004, 11:08 am »
Hi

I am using a AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000, which is a tube-modded Marantz, as my source. It sounds beautyful.

For my money there is no doubt that there is a great synergy between the Stratos and tube-based sources. I really think that my own set-up of AH Njoe Tjoeb, Tempest and Stratos is a very good combination. It has a very detailed and still warm and musically sound.

I can only recommend trying the AH! Njoe Tjoeb or another Tube-based CD. If you do not like tubes, try the Rega which has a "analog"-sound.

Brgds,
Brian

wiz

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2004, 12:16 pm »
Guys,
Thanks again for all the great input. I'm leaning toward a tube based solution because Bobby P. at Merlin recommends them with his speakers. I bucked the system and went with Stratos/Tempest and couldn't be happier, but I may try to capture a little of that "tube sound" with my source (although the Marantz is looking really good also).
Jolida JD-100, Nixon Tubedac+ W/ power supply and decent transport, Sheng Ya, and Ah! CD4000 are at the top of the list. A little concerned about reliability with Sheng Ya and Marantz. Sheng Ya because I'm in Germany and don't have easy service access, and I've heard of a few disc reading problems with the Marantz.
Has anyone compared any of these players in their systems?
Also, any thoughts on reliability?
Unfortunately, I'm not in a location to listen to any of these players before purchase. I've researched like crazy, and my head is spinning. As always, seems like there are good and bad reviews for just about anything if I dig deep enough. Thanks!!

wiz

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2004, 08:55 pm »
djbnh,
Just sent you a pm. Thanks for the help!
Wiz

audioslave

Dac!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2004, 10:20 pm »
Gotta agree with Bob A. I have a Stratos w/cap upgrade and Tempest  and am using it with the Ack! and a Parasound CDP 2000 ultra belt-drive. The two are connected with a stereovox HDVX and I am very pleased with it. :D They all work pretty harmoniously with each other Chris Own voiced the Ack! w/a CEC player. The non-os is super smooth and very natural sounding. :thumb:

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:05 am »
Just call me and let me know what you have on your short list,  and hopefully I can give you some input into the synergy.

Late,

Klaus