help!!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
help!!
« on: 9 Oct 2004, 06:58 am »
need someone to help me listen to two amps to decide which one to keep.
i am in saginaw (northwest fort worth)
give me a call 817-306-3623 or email me.
the two amps are the krell kav 300il integrated amp ant the sunfire symphonic reference power amp.

marvin

marvda1

help!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2004, 10:34 pm »
i got both amps in, first used the sunfire symphonic reference power amp (250/8 ohm-500/4 ohm) with my denon pma 2000ivr as a preamp at low volumns the sunfire was more detailed with tighter bass but not as much bass as the denon. turn up the volumn and the high end was much too bright so i would take the denon over the sunfire. next i tried the krell, tighter and more bass than the denon, much more detailed, better soundstage. a much more balanced and fuller sound. destroys the sunfire. who says the sunfire has 250 watts? not so says the krell. theni remembered the krell could be used as a preamp and i connected it to the sunfire still too BRIGHT so back to the store today.
for now the krell is here to stay ( 30 day return). got both these amps at ultimate electronics as they are no longer carrying them. the prices are: krell kav 300il- $1399 ( retail $3250), sunfire - $897 ( retail $1200).
the krell had the upgraded binding posts (wbt type) so this took care of the problem with the early ons being stripped easily, but my large spade connectors would not fit will have to go to bananas or use an adapter. the amp runs warm to hot because of the class a preamp and another class a component to the amp section so leave plenty of room to breath. at this price of $1400 i don't know of any othe amp that could compare.

any suggestions?

marvin

Xi-Trum

help!!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:13 pm »
What are the speakers you'll use with the amps?

I'm in Frisco.  Wonder how far it Saginaw is...

marvda1

help!!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:21 pm »
the speakers are usher 6381's

brj

help!!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2004, 06:28 pm »
Quote from: Xi-Trum
I'm in Frisco.  Wonder how far it Saginaw is...

Depends on how you want to get there...  It would probably take you about and hour whether you come down 121 or down 35W.

marvda1

help!!
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2004, 02:40 pm »
well fellows the new amp is on hold for now the wife wants a new car. :cry: