Stereo deepOmegas

mrvco

Stereo deepOmegas
« on: 7 Aug 2015, 09:48 pm »
Is anyone here running a pair of deepOmega subs?  I've never run stereo subs and I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes for music, especially with deepOmegas playing up to 150Hz.  And does it make enough of a difference that a pair of 8's would be better than a single 12 (assuming a second 12 wasn't in the budget for the foreseeable future)?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Stereo deepOmegas
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:12 am »
Search Audio Circle for "swarm".  The concept is more subs the better to even out the 20 dB maximum peaks/troughs as large bass waves behave differently than mid/high frequencies.  Note that EQ/DSP/tone controls cannot adequately compensate for this.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:16 am »
Is anyone here running a pair of deepOmega subs?  I've never run stereo subs and I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes for music, especially with deepOmegas playing up to 150Hz.  And does it make enough of a difference that a pair of 8's would be better than a single 12 (assuming a second 12 wasn't in the budget for the foreseeable future)?
Hi mrvco,

ZLS is a regular on here and he has deepOmega12s.  I'm sure he'll gladly help you all he can. 
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2015, 05:44 pm by Canada Rob »

hdrider

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:23 pm »
I just added one 8'' Omega to my 7XRS's and I am very very happy with this addition. Long range plan will be to add another 8'' sub, but that will have to wait for a while. Happy listening, Chris.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:45 pm »
   I have a pair of the 12" Omega Subs.

Yes, they may a considerable difference for the better; easily heard and appreciated. 

The question I cannot answer is, does two 8"s better one 12".

Based on my personal experience, two 8"s are dramatically better then one 8"

This I have heard for myself, and have other people tell me the same. 

Perhaps if you PM me, we can discuss this at length. 

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:34 pm »
I just added one 8'' Omega to my 7XRS's and I am very very happy with this addition. Long range plan will be to add another 8'' sub, but that will have to wait for a while. Happy listening, Chris.

I too lived with one sub, added a second (Canton).  One of the best upgrades you and can do.  My Super's 5's seem to float in space now.  And you thought they were good before...

Nocturne79

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:42 pm »
I have a pair of outlaw omegas...rs5 with deep 8" subs and I enjoy it alot  gives a good foundation and fullness to the music.  Though I have never had just one sub since my first dip into single drivers was the outlaw.  I do occassionally run them without subs on and still very good just with the subs i get more fullness.  Also with the outlaw it makes for a very nice compact package, living in a condo this was a very important factor for me.