With a heavy heart I bare the news that we have lost an industry leader

Danny Richie

Gary Dodd is no longer with us. He was 59 years old.

I last talked to him on Friday. I did not hear from him Saturday or Sunday. I called him on Sunday but his phone went straight to voice mail. I also tried to reach him several times on Monday with the same result. So my wife and I went to check on him this morning. He did not answer the door.  But we do have a key and we were able to get in. I went in calling for him but got no answer and as a round the corner to the hall I could see him laying in bed. I reached out and tapped him on the leg and spoke to him, but it was clear at that point that he was no longer with us. He had clearly passed away several days ago. From what it appeared he had passed in his sleep. He looked natural just laying there like he was taking a nap with his sheet pulled up over most of him. I guess he couldn't have gone away any easier.

The last contact that we had with him was Friday Morning. We were able to access his cell phone and see that the last call he made was Sunday evening. So Gary passed away sometime after that. Possibly in his sleep Sunday night.

I had to wait a while to announce this until all of his family had been notified. I don't know anything yet about any other arrangements. I am leaving those things to his family. I will post more as I know more.

At the moment I am felling pretty sad. He was a true friend and I will miss him greatly. But I also feel blessed to have known him and thankful for how he enriched my life and helped take my joy of music to the highest levels. Tough days ahead...

Also, a couple of years ago Gary was having a really tough time after his last heart attack and really struggling financially to make ends meet. Many of the great people in the audio community helped him out and made donations to him that really got him through a tough period. And I just wanted to thank all of you that came to his aid at that time. May the good Lord bless each of you as you have blessed him with your generosity.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2015, 08:18 pm by Danny Richie »

sfox7076

SO horrible to hear.  Danny, thank you for doing everything you did for him over the years.  You were the best friend he could have had.

And here's to an innovator gone before his time.

Shawn

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I spoke with Danny earlier today, and much of the rest of the day I've spent thinking how lucky I've been to know Gary.  What a great guy and good friend.  Such an enthusiast for high quality audio... he just bubbled when talking about a new idea.   The world's a smaller place tonight.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Danny,

Gary will be greatly missed by many!

You and Kristy have been his support system and I know he was glad that you were all there until the end.  No better friends can a person have!

I am so glad that I got to know Gary and call him my friend. 

Bemopti123

RIP to a genius. 

SlushPuppy

This is terrible news  :(

Captainhemo

So sad to hear Danny, thoughts are with  you  and your family and of course  Gary's family.
As you said, you  are lucky to have known him  and I'm  sure he felt the same way  about you

Hang in there man

jay

sl_1800

So sorry to hear this news. Gary was a great guy, I'm glad I can say I knew him.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I did not know him or used their products.
But Iam glad he had so many valuable friends.
RIP

prokennex

I never met Gary in person but did have the pleasure speaking to him by phone about the equipment I bought from him over the years.
Shocking and such sad news to hear.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

Jonathon Janusz

I had a feeling when I saw the title I knew what this message would be.  My heart sank reading this.

I am glad to have known Gary.  He was a survivor, with far more heart than his body gave him to work with.

I hope that if he didn't go out as he would have wanted, at least it was at peace.

Danny, it doesn't help now, but rest a little easier knowing you and yours did everything a friend could ever ask for.

Condolences all around.

ebag4

I am saddend to hear this news.

I am very sorry for you loss Danny, as well as others who were close to him.  You were a great friend when he needed one Danny, we should all be so lucky to have the same.

Sincerely,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
My condolences Danny.

I had the good fortune of meeting and talking with Gary this past May at LASF. I'm glad I got the chance.

Mike

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Heartbreaking loss.  :cry:

persisting1

Sorry to hear this.

eis

• Y M I
Condolences from us here in the Falls.
Very sad news indeed.  :cry:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
I wish I'd gotten to know him better.
Ive installed many of his amazing buffers and got to have dinner and a beer with him years ago at rmaf. All i can say is being in his company was enlightening and fun.
R.I.P. Gary you'll be missed by many!

SoCalWJS

So sorry to hear this sad news. RIP Gary.

Danny, you did so much for him to help him out. We all wish for friends as kind as you were to Gary.

:cry:

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
I am so sorry Danny. I hope you will be blessed with countless wonderful memories. I have been inspired by the love you have shown toward him. Be at peace and may all who care be comforted.