Interesting amplifier @ kickstarter

raov1

Interesting amplifier @ kickstarter
« on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:36 am »
A battery powered amp. Claims to handle speakers 1 ohm or less!!  :o

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1914849715/sonic-sceintific-join-the-audio-revolution

No affiliation...

VJ

decal

Re: Interesting amplifier @ kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:55 pm »
From Q&A section......

What happens when the battery is at the end of its lifetime? Are you looking for a system that helps customers to change the battery on their own? Do I have to send the unit back?

We have used the best quality of the Lithium battery cells which have 100% depth of discharge equal to 3,000 to 5,000 cycles depends how you discharge them. Therefore, generally speaking, the battery pack will have a life expectation for more than 10 years and we consider them as lifetime parts. Thus, we designed the battery pack for not easy for customers to replace themselves. Yes, we have a RMA system that will help our customers to return and also repair broken machines.

Last updated: Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:46 AM CDT

Thanks but no thanks. :thumbdown:

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:03 pm »
To me there are many manufacturers that are jumping into this battery craze.  Quantity might not necessarily signal quality.  Lithium batteries although convenient always entail some risk of combustibility, especially if there are large.  5-10 years is an eternity.  Few companies survive that long. 

I think battery powered technology has its merit, especially in low power consuming devices but high powered ones, I do not know. 

bluemike

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:19 pm »
To me there are many manufacturers that are jumping into this battery craze.  Quantity might not necessarily signal quality.  Lithium batteries although convenient always entail some risk of combustibility, especially if there are large.  5-10 years is an eternity.  Few companies survive that long. 

I think battery powered technology has its merit, especially in low power consuming devices but high powered ones, I do not know.
Shipping is a real problem for audio that is equipped with battery technology. stuff coming across the border if there is a battery inside it is getting ripped out
For me that's a non starter 

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2015, 04:48 pm »
China & Lithium battery's
Does that give anyone else pause for thought?

If a lithium battery overheats, shorts out, catches fire, gets wet. :o
Think deadly poisonous gas best case scenario or Homer Simpson style mushroom cloud accompanied by deadly poisonous gas worst case.

Looks like a nice little rig though. Hope it sounds good.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2015, 05:48 pm »
Li batteries never seem to be manufactured to meet their specs, their capacity always decreases during their lifespan and they are toxic. Also, I do not believe there is any real advantage over regular AC power if the power supply is designed correctly. Batteries do not have infinitely low output impedance and they do not produce zero noise either. The only promising device that does not run directly off the grid seems to be Vinnie's LIO imo.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2015, 01:40 am »
I don't see anything remotely interesting about it other than it's a simple battery powered unit that may have aesthetics you like.

Whomever makes those crazy speakers doesn't know much about electronics... "No noise!" ??? You don't typically hear noise from AC powered stuff. Power conditioners aren't for removing artifacts, as in noise you can hear that represents itself as an artifact is almost always an design problem, during playback.