Mono cartridges under $1k MSRP?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Mono cartridges under $1k MSRP?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jul 2015, 12:54 pm »
I have a Benz Ace Mono and really love it...affordable and sounds great with Mono records!

The Benz is unavailable.
neo

shaizada

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2015, 07:01 am »
I have to give major props to the Miyajima Zero MC Mono cartridge....it has changed my whole perspective on the need to listen to mono records with a dedicated mono cartridge :)

What a STUPENDOUSLY good cartridge!

ACHiPo

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2015, 06:06 pm »
Are you running it on your VPI, or a second table?  How do you deal with swapping carts with just one 'table?

shaizada

« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2015, 09:04 pm »
Its being used on this VPI turntable, on a third armwand which I switch in as needed:

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2015, 09:06 pm »
I really like being able to switch armwands on my Moerch arm.

ACHiPo

« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2015, 04:34 am »
Its being used on this VPI turntable, on a third armwand which I switch in as needed:

Cool! :green:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2015, 04:41 pm »
Ortofon makes 2 good mono cartridges in the OP's price range. One is a moving magnet (2M mono) and the other is moving coil (Quintet Mono).

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2015, 11:15 am »
My new mono set up is still a work in progress.  I have the cartridges: Ortofon Quintet Mono and Audio Technica  AT-33MONO.  They are new in a box.  What I don't have yet is the tonearm.  I just bought a Nottingham Analogue Space 294 with the 12" Ace-Space arm and will be adding an Ortofon RS-309D 12" arm as soon as my wallet can recover a little from the turntable purchase.

Prior to this set up I had a Garrard 401 in a custom made plinth, with a Jelco 12" arm and Ortofon SPU mono cartridge.  I loved that rig for all of my 50s mono LPs.  It will be interesting to see how the AT-33MONO compares on the Nottingham table.  I bought the Ortofon Quintet mono for newer mono reissue pressings.

--Jerome