Too many projects, too little time...

JoshK

« on: 24 Feb 2003, 04:29 pm »
I have found a way to curb my spending on audiogear, DIY projects.  However, after getting all the things I need I have realized that there is still a big variable missing.  Time. :idea:

I have all these ideas spinning in my head and haven't seen the time to materialize them.  I have already started a fair bit of three projects and obstacles made me stop and time hasn't allowed me to start again.  If only I could have an extra three days off somewhere with nothing else to do....

things to do list:

1) finish Maggie speaker stands
2) finish free standing shelves for tool cabinet.  
3) modify my round DIY flexy rack.  Got a few more ideas on making it dead solid.
4) finish Teres TT  (this is probably the funniest one so far)
5) build LP shelves
6) refit my salamander flexy shelves with 3/4" boltz for both audio rack and desk.
7) construct the DIY headphone amp kit I purchased.
8) mod my MAD preamp.
9) build a JR power filter for HT system.

probably more....

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2003, 05:03 pm »
Time even becomes more precious with even more precious offspring.  I am sure all of your friends/family have broached this subject.  Good luck 24 hrs just means about 5-6 hrs of sleep with kids  :nono:
But then you are young and smart, no way would you do that to yourself, enjoy the missus and your pre-family life :dance:

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2003, 05:37 pm »
My wife and I actually don't want kids now and possibly never.  We want to enjoy our lives together, and although it might be selfish, kids ensure you no longer have lives of your own.  Why we want to do that?  We'll let our siblings have the babies and we will watch them from time to time.

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2003, 07:52 pm »
It warms my heart to read that Josh. :thumb:  It doesn't sound selfish at all to me! :) Thank you and your wife for choosing not to fill the world with more humans! Har!

Boy, and I thought I had a lot of uncompleted projects!  You've got me beat!  

What science needs to do to improve the human condition is figure out how to eliminate sleep as a biological requirement!  Think what you could accomplish if you had another 7-10 hours per day!  Heck, you'd live twice as long!

So what's the secret Flexy solidity tweak?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:52 pm »
I've got 'em lined up out the door, too.  My sister liked my DIY Oak DVD rack so much that she blew $100 on wood so I could build her one, too.  This has been an embaressingly long time, now, and she's starting to lose patience!  I gotta watch what I promise people.

My most pressing projects are DIY room treatments, but time and money usually conspire to thwart my efforts.  I'm taking some vaca this week, and maybe I'll manage to get some stuff done.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2003, 09:35 pm »
I'm not even going to start counting... :oops:

I gotta watch what I promise people.

Hah. Me too! Second rule of DIY: never agree to do someone else's damn project  :o

Brandon B

Re: Too many projects, too little time...
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2003, 01:50 am »
Quote from: JoshK

Oh good.  'Cuz I got a list too,  and was worried I might hold you up if the platter took too long.

Big shiny disc
7.1 speakers system (about .1 finished)
three 82859 CC speaker wires
Projector ceiling mount
Make componennt video cables set
Run video cable and surround speaker wiring and then crown moulding for concealment
Center channel and TV cabinet
Finnish painting theater room
Turn garage into useable shop (10% of the holdup of the above)
Spend time with 5 year old kid (the other 900000%).

Wouldn't trade the time with the kid though.  If I delay long enough, he'll be old enough to do some cabinet sanding.

Nothing selfish about not having kids.  But if you want one at all,  probably not something you'd regret IMHO.  

Figured out the centering problem BTW.

BB

Ernest

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2003, 04:32 am »
My wife and I actually don't want kids now and possibly never.  We want to enjoy our lives together, and although it might be selfish, kids ensure you no longer have lives of your own.  Why we want to do that?  We'll let our siblings have the babies and we will watch them from time to time.

This is the siliest thing I have ever heard!  You will never know the fullness of life or love if you do not have kids.  Sorry if that sounds harsh but I believe it is the truth.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2003, 05:08 am »
Well you are welcome to your opinions Ernest but I happen to have many reasons why I don't think that is always the case.  

Brandon,

Cool, I am glad you figured it out.  Don't worry about the hold up, I've got plenty of my own.  I just wasn't going to tell anyone that you were spinning my platter or else you might have a line out the door for others wanting you to make them one too.   :lol:

JoshK

Re: Too many projects, too little time...
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2003, 09:12 pm »

things to do list:

1) finish Maggie speaker stands
2) finish free standing shelves for tool cabinet.  
3) modify my round DIY flexy rack.  Got a few more ideas on making it dead solid.
5) build LP shelves
6) refit my salamander flexy shelves with 3/4" boltz for both audio rack and desk.
7) construct the DIY headphone amp kit I purchased.
8) mod my MAD preamp.
9) build a JR power filter for HT system.

#2 done, #4 partly done...finished the base, well mostly anyway, san finishing work....#1 I plan to do tonight....sketched out plans for #5, got parts for #3 & #6.

I knew all I needed was the time.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2003, 03:14 am »
I have a picture up in my gallery of my modified TT flexy rack.  Quite a bit sturdier but you might not be able to tell from the picture.  :)