Bread.

sfox7076

Bread.
« on: 12 Jul 2015, 03:08 am »
Anyone else a bread baker here?  I tend to mostly make a miche and challah (for Friday nights).  Yes, it is all by hand and all multigrain.  Just wonder if anyone else here bakes.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Bread.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2015, 03:52 am »
 I was a baker for 30+ years, but haven't done any baking for a couple of years.

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2015, 01:48 pm by konut »

weatherman1

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2015, 05:20 am »
When I was young and had family I baked bread.  Children long gone, wife dead, now I love to bake with grandchildren for the simple joy of watching the wonder in their eyes and the smiles on their faces when they get to measure, kneed, and play with the dough until it reaches the right texture.  Love the smell, texture, fresh sweet butter and memories.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2015, 02:42 pm »

dspringham

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2015, 03:39 pm »
Wow, that baking looks great...
however according to new "food nazis" bread and any other "grain" products are being blamed for almost all of today's physical health ills as well as mental issues... "grain brain"?

What a shame. What ever happened to the "staff of life"?

Ever tried gluten free bread? Like eating cardboard (taste and texture).

Bring back the real stuff!!!

bigjppop

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm »
I've just started baking bread and I love it! You've got some beautiful examples there. I've been experimenting with some longer, slower, fermentation in my fridge and so far have been very pleased. It means I have to plan several days in advance for when I want to bake bread but the actual baking is pretty easy. I've also been baking with my enamel cast iron dutch oven which has given some good results.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2015, 04:17 pm »
...according to new "food nazis" bread and any other "grain" products are being blamed for almost all of today's physical health ills as well as mental issues... "grain brain"?

What a bunch of unproven, unscientific bullshit. People are so gullible.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2015, 06:00 pm »
however according to new "food nazis" bread and any other "grain" products are being blamed for almost all of today's physical health ills as well as mental issues... "grain brain"?

Celiac sensitivity is real - I had a GF a few years ago who fought it for a while, until she realized that not eating it made things a lot better - but the prevalence is nowhere near as great as you'd expect with the amount of gluten-free products out there.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2015, 06:32 pm »
If jtwrace gets the challah, then I want the garlic knots!  Beautiful work indeed!  I had a chance to try out baking outdoors in a friend's wood fired oven.  My sister and I each brought some of our own bread dough.  The friend provided the huge, himself built oven out on his patio.  He built a fire in it for 6 hours.  His wife took credit for the beautiful weather that day.  The hardest part of baking is waiting for it to cool enough to eat...Are those commercial or wild yeast breads?

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2015, 06:53 pm »
Mine are all sourdough, even the challah.  Our braches if you are so inclined to call it that instead of challah.

Syrah

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2015, 09:47 pm »
My wife is French and i live in the Caribbean, baguettes are my thing.  I use a wet dough, week long fridge ferment, three oven stones and an elaborate oven steaming technique.  Great results.  I tried challah buns because i really like them as hamburger buns - failed miserably! 

Some people are seriously allergic to glutten.  Others will do anything to get attention.

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:00 am »
I am in the wrong climate/space for baguettes.  NYC is not the place to make it without a commercial oven.  I like baking.  It at least gives me something to be proud of when I am done.  And my boys love it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2015, 07:17 am »

Bringing back "the real stuff" would be great.  The reason bread is almost always terrible for you today is that the wheat grown today would seem utterly alien to the ancient Romans and Greeks.  The modern stuff is a pale, hollow shell of the quality of the old stuff.  Probably there's still some heirloom wheat grown for some markets but the vast increase in celiac's and general gluten intolerance is due to the genetically modified wheat of today.  NOTE:  To be clear I'm not bagging on all GMO-crops. Far from it.  But do some research specifically on modern wheat.  It's eye opening.

Syrah

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:02 pm »
Someone should sell NOS wheat.

sfox7076

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:17 pm »
I get my flour from here:  http://farmergroundflour.squarespace.com/  not  NOS, but close.