Should I get 55” 1080p or 4K TV

brooklyn

Should I get 55” 1080p or 4K TV
« on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:44 pm »
Hi everyone, thinking about upgrading my 40’’ 5 year old Sony
to a Samsung 55” 1080p. The other option would be the newer
4K models, difference in price at the moment at BB is $400.00..

I don’t stream movies or have any cable connection at the present
time, all I do is pop in a blu ray movie or two a couple of times a
week to get my movie fix. I would just like to enjoy a larger screen
experience.  I’ve been told that 4K is the future but I’m not sure if I
would utilize it with the way I watch TV.

Does anyone have any experience with the new 4K sets?
I sit back about 12 feet from the screen when I watch, would
I benefit from the 4K experience?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jerry

viggen

Re: Should I get 55” 1080p or 4K TV
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:15 pm »
i was walking about at best buy yesterday looking at the new tvs. 

for the money, i'd get the w800 sony.  it's a 1080p set.  I didn't like the series above it quite as much until the x900 which is the 4k model but is like 4 times more expensive.  the x900's picture looks very similar to my panny GT50 plasma but with higher resolution.

oh, and i simply cannot stand samsung displays.  they hurt my eyes.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:34 pm »
Should I get 55” 1080p or 4K TV?
NO.
Detox you brain and emotions dont watch TV never.
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/ten-reasons-to-turn-off-your-tv.html

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:05 pm »
i was walking about at best buy yesterday looking at the new tvs. 

for the money, i'd get the w800 sony.  it's a 1080p set.  I didn't like the series above it quite as much until the x900 which is the 4k model but is like 4 times more expensive.  the x900's picture looks very similar to my panny GT50 plasma but with higher resolution.

oh, and i simply cannot stand samsung displays.  they hurt my eyes.

Hi viggen, I’ve been using Sony TV’s of one sort or another for more then 30 years. This may sound
stupid but what I don’t like about the current Sony's is the chrome stand under the TV.  I did like the
1080P Samsung’s when I was a Best Buy, I thought they looked great.

brooklyn

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:09 pm »
NO.

Hi FullRangeMan, the fact of the matter is I don’t watch any regular TV or cable
programing and haven’t for many years. I do enjoy a good movie though.
Thanks for the web site..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:19 pm »
I glad in know it. :thumb:
Regards

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:30 pm »
NO.

i think he's telling drivers to concentrate on the road  :scratch:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:35 pm »
From what I've read and in talking with a guy who calibrates tv's your'e only going to get the full benefit of a 4k tv when you have a 90" screen or bigger.

1080P on a good tv can still be really nice to look at and as of now most of everything is in 1080P or below. Who knows how long it will be for 4k content to be mainstream.

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:39 pm »
From what I've read and in talking with a guy who calibrates tv's your'e only going to get the full benefit of a 4k tv when you have a 90" screen or bigger.

1080P on a good tv can still be really nice to look at and as of now most of everything is in 1080P or below. Who knows how long it will be for 4k content to be mainstream.

i think 4k tv is easier on the brain if that makes any sense to you.  i think our brains are filling in information that's not there on a lower res screen, and the brain does less work to form a picture when the res is higher.  that's a theory anyways. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:42 pm »
What is your budget?

If I were buying a TV, I would look at the 1080P LG OLED TV sets. Best Buy has it on sale right now for 2200.

This TV will destroy any 4K LEDLCD in picture quality, regardless of resolution. The most important quality to picture is contrast ratio, and nothing beats the native contrast ratio of an OLED TV. 

Cnet rated the 55 inch 1080P TV as the best TV set on the market when it first arrived.

I'm waiting for the 4K 65 inch LG OLED to come down in price, before replacing my family room TV. I am hoping in 2 years, its dropped from its current 10K price tag.

i think 4k tv is easier on the brain if that makes any sense to you.  i think our brains are filling in information that's not there on a lower res screen, and the brain does less work to form a picture when the res is higher.  that's a theory anyways. 

No, it doesn't work like that at all. If you aren't close enough for your eyes to resolve the extra pixels, its wasted information. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm »
What is your budget?

If I were buying a TV, I would look at the 1080P LG OLED TV sets. Best Buy has it on sale right now for 2200.

This TV will destroy any 4K LEDLCD in picture quality, regardless of resolution. The most important quality to picture is contrast ratio, and nothing beats the native contrast ratio of an OLED TV. 

Cnet rated the 55 inch 1080P TV as the best TV set on the market when it first arrived.

I'm waiting for the 4K 65 inch LG OLED to come down in price, before replacing my family room TV. I am hoping in 2 years, its dropped from its current 10K price tag.

No, it doesn't work like that at all. If you aren't close enough for your eyes to resolve the extra pixels, its wasted information. 

This is correct.  I run a 110" projector with screen, and for me it will make a bit of difference but on a smaller screen it won't.  The main issue is content - there is very little 4k content out there right now, and if the past is any indication (i.e., the conversion of DVD to blu ray), it's gonna be a slow process.  All dressed up and no place to go is not a fun situation.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:51 pm »
Brooklyn, were it me, I'd probably skip the 4 k for now, but let me tell you a short story, FWIW.

For many years, the largest screen in this house was an aging 36" Sony CRT. A few years ago I bought a 55" plasma, talked myself up from 50" which seemed almost too much. Fast forward to last year and bought one of last-of-breed 65" plasma. Gotta say I like it a lot. This coming from someone old enough to remember when a 19" color TV was the coolest available.

Long story short, I'd likely spend the dollars I saved on the 4K to go bigger screen if space allowed. The room is not big, my eyeballs are about 9-10' away from screen. No regrets, this now seems the perfect size for room.

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:09 pm »
What is your budget?

Hi Kingdeeze, I live in a apartment so I’m just looking for a 55” at no more then $1200 max for my weekly movie watching..

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:22 pm »
Brooklyn, were it me, I'd probably skip the 4 k for now, but let me tell you a short story, FWIW.

For many years, the largest screen in this house was an aging 36" Sony CRT. A few years ago I bought a 55" plasma, talked myself up from 50" which seemed almost too much. Fast forward to last year and bought one of last-of-breed 65" plasma. Gotta say I like it a lot. This coming from someone old enough to remember when a 19" color TV was the coolest available.

Long story short, I'd likely spend the dollars I saved on the 4K to go bigger screen if space allowed. The room is not big, my eyeballs are about 9-10' away from screen. No regrets, this now seems the perfect size for room.

Hi Peter, what you say make’s sense to me. I would love to go bigger if I was in
my own home but in my apartment a 55” would be nice if not much better then
the 40 I’m using now. Five years ago I bought a 32” LCD and took it back
immediately and bought the 40” Sony.

I am also old enough to remember the 19” color TV and black and white. While
we didn’t have a reel choice back then, I don’t know how we did it…LOL

brother love

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:37 pm »
If you are talking 55" display with 12 ft. viewing distance, then you could even get by with a 720p display.

You would have to sit 7.5 ft. away to start seeing benefits of 4k, & that's if you have 4k material ...

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:39 pm »
At that viewing distance, with a ~55 inch screen there is no advantage for 4K.

Factor in the lack of source material, it will likely remain irrelevant for some time.

Loving my 55 inch VT50 Panny plasma still.  Buddy of mine has a 50 Samsung he uses for his kids gaming.  Nice picture.

I'd be picking up whatever 55 tickles your fancy, once you factor the ability to control light in the room.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:51 pm »
An article I saw with the above viewing chart states in order to get the benefit of 4k you have to sit 5 1/2 feet away from a 84" screen. Just doesn't seem logical to spend the money.

OLED is still pretty new and I'm not sure I'd get in now but maybe after a few years and they work out the kinks and reliability isn't an issue. You can find quite a few 55" tv's that will work for you. It's too bad Samsung and Panasonic had to do away with plasma....

SlushPuppy

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2015, 08:16 pm »

I live in a apartment so I’m just looking for a 55” at no more then $1200 max for my weekly movie watching..

Take a look at the Visio M series. Good ratings and a really nice picture. 55", 4K picture, and only $950.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m55c2.html

Austin08

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:21 pm »

This was what I did. I was on the fence between 60" 4k and decided to use those extra money on a 75" samsung 1080p. No regret.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2015, 12:37 am »
NO.
Stop trolling FRM.
This is the home theater and video section.
One of the main requirement of this Circle is that a video display device is required.