EVS Ground Enhancers

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
EVS Ground Enhancers
« on: 26 Jun 2015, 09:47 am »
This is just to share an Omega tweak that worked for me.

I added EVS Ground Enhancers to my Super 3Rs (old Fostex model).  The ground enhancer is a simple piece of twisted Litz to the ground (-) terminal on the speaker.  I don't understand how it works; I just tried it with various equipment and trusted my ears.  My Omegas were the only ones that I perceived an improvement.  They are also my only single driver speakers.  I have them hooked up to an Almarro 205A MKII SEP amp.

The subjective perception was improved bass, a perceived flatter response, and a just more relaxed feel.  I like it.  But I heard from others that they perceived the same things, but none of it was measurable, so maybe something else is going on.  Anyway, it's cheap tweak I wanted to share:  http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_Ground_Enhancers.html

Maybe you can make your own for free? Or maybe a Zobel network would be even better? 

I'm calling back Louis tomorrow to see if my Super 3R's ports will work with the updated RS5 Drivers.  Wish me luck!

Cheers!
MB

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: EVS Ground Enhancers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2015, 10:53 am »
Have them on my mono-blocks and directly on my single drivers, but haven't heard any advantage (like all other tweaks I've tried).

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2015, 11:33 am »
I use them on my amp. I got the same effect as the OP described.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:41 pm »
I use the enhancers, they seem to enhance separation and widen the sound stage without harming pin point imaging. I have an extra pair I'm loaning to a friend this weekend to find out if he hears anything.

I think the ground enhancers are like a near death experience: it's real, unmeasurable and different for everyone, it also doesn't work in groups.

Wayne

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2015, 09:03 pm »
There is a similar old thread by Ric Schultz:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87653.0
I use a similar simpler apparatus on my DIY power cables.
I think it works based on the antennae effect.

sruffle

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2015, 01:13 am »
I tried these but they made things much worse.  It killed the highs and the bass turned mushy.  I should try them on different pieces in my system to see if they make a positive impact somewhere...they definitely change the sound.

sruffle

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2016, 04:00 pm »
I thought I would follow up on this topic.  My comment above about the enhancers negatively impacting the sound was about my old two-way monitor speakers.  I recently tried them on my Omega Super Alnicos.  At first, I thought they were going to be great.  I had a blacker background, better bass, and more detail.  However, after a while, I noticed that the soundstage had shrunk and the sound was brighter.  They are now removed from my speakers.

That experience indicates to me that some grounding tweaks may produce really good results.  Has  anybody used any other grounding devices  such as the Walker Audio enhancers or the Stein Speaker Matches?   

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2016, 04:34 pm »
Have them on my mono-blocks and directly on my single drivers, but haven't heard any advantage (like all other tweaks I've tried).

I've had very similar "non-results" with the EVS enhancers, but every time I switch speakers or components, I give them another shot.

sruffle

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2016, 04:46 pm »
It is interesting that some people get no results while other people report very noticeable changes.  These must be very system dependent.  In my case, the changes have not been desirable.  I may try some of the RCA ground plugs.

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2016, 07:09 pm »
Did not work here. 3 years ago I think it was?

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:25 am »
The ground enhancers have been on my amp for a while. After reading the recent posts, I decided to A/B them again. Verdict: they're still on. My system sounds faster and fuller with them.