Going discless, likely with Mac...where to start

maxwalrath

Going discless, likely with Mac...where to start
« on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been gone from AC for a couple of years, and listening to a lot less music lately. I want to make the move to a computer-based system and I don't know where to start. I've read a few threads on the Apple Core and Discless circles, but I have a lot of catching up to do. I use an iPhone and macbook, and I have a $100 mac store credit that expires in a week. Ideally I'd like to use my iPhone as a remote control. A few years ago, it sounded like a Mac Mini was a great way to go as a source. Is this still the case? Should I look elsewhere? If I buy a mini, what next? Do I need to send it out for mods, and what software should I use?

Thanks,
Max

mcgsxr

Re: Going discless, likely with Mac...where to start
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2015, 10:18 pm »
I have run a Mac Mini before, but ended up steering away from that camp.  Nothing wrong with it, but my older h/w would not support the newer s/w and I did not want to sink more $ into it.

If you want to just get up and running, Logitech Media Server is still free to download and install.  That can act as server s/w until you explore the $ versions.

A Mac Mini could certainly run that.

What DAC will you use?  USB or other digital input?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2015, 01:58 am »
You could just use your MacBook, but a Mini is a better entry level solution.  Optimal is 8 GB of RAM.  You could spend your $100 credit on a 2 TB hard drive back up (recommended).  I'm using an iMac (my office machine via a 35 foot long optical cable -  far from ideal) and MacBook Air (from my listening chair via a 3 meter USB cable) and have multiple backups (including off site).

Rather than modding a Mini, most have moved to dedicated music servers as a more cost effective upgrading solution.  Check out Hal's MS-3 (Industry Sponsored Circle); Sonore (at their own circle); or Auralic Aries (popular) as starters. 

Check out JohnR's "Getting Started" thread in this circle that helps optimize ripping.  You'll have to consider what format to rip into.  ALAC is the Apple version of FLAC (lossless compression that supports cover art) is popular.  Then you'll have to also decide what player (software) you want to use.  Popular player software (beyond/better than iTunes) include Amarra, Audirvana, JRiver, and Pure Music, but many others (including freeware) exist. 

It's taken me 1.5 years to learn, research, save, rip, learn, and research some more just to get computers, DAC, and cabling in place (still have to tackle the player software past iTunes).  So welcome to this complicated new territory.

ozoid

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:53 am »
I have a 2.66 gHz MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM, running OS 10.9.5 and an external HD. I'm running Audirvana Plus software to a Meridian Explorer (v.1) DAC via one of the MBP's USB ports. I'm ripping CDs to AIFF and Audirvana Plus music player software increases the resolution to 24/192. At least some of the other players JLM mentions will also increase the resolution and nearly all of them will allow you to use them for a few for free before you have to commit to purchase. May as well take advantage of this since they all have slightly different feature sets, user interfaces, and sonic signatures.

Cabling is entirely straightforward. The Meridian comes with a USB cable to connect it to the MBP; all I needed to add was a cable with 2 RCA plugs at one end and a single 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug at the other end. Easily found at retailers like Music Direct or Audio Advisor.

Last I checked, Audio Advisor was still selling the Explorer v.1 for $150; v.2 is $300 and includes MQA, Meridian's streaming scheme which is being implemented by Tidal and will allow high-res streaming. 

I'm not sure what you have in mind for remote control. The Audirvana Plus developer tells me he is working on an app that should be ready soon, but I'm not sure what capabilities it will have. In any case most player software, like Audirvana Plus, will allow you to put together a playlist; it also has a volume control, but he recommends keeping the volume at max there and using your pre-amp/integrated amp volume control to adjust for mastering variations.

There's a lot of mystification going on about computer audio that I don't understand and, as far as I can tell, doesn't matter at all unless you like to play with computers instead of listen to music. All I know is that what I have sounds very good — I used to write about music production for a living —and that's been confirmed by an SET amp designer who heard my source through his amp and speakers.

ozoid

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2015, 05:09 am »
Addendum: the cable I added connects the Meridian DAC to my amplifier. I use iTunes to rip the CDs to AIFF, which is bit-perfect but doesn't include the cover art. I don't really care about the cover art, but I want the music file to be as good as possible.

For some reason, some people like to complicate this and my advice is to ignore them. Just pick an external DAC within your budget and music player software. Wire it up to your amplifier and you'll have a fine source. If you're feeding your amp 24/192, you'll hear more improvements by an upgrade to your amp or speakers than some exotic music playing device. 

srb

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2015, 05:47 am »
I use iTunes to rip the CDs to AIFF, which is bit-perfect but doesn't include the cover art. I don't really care about the cover art, but I want the music file to be as good as possible.

The AIFF file format allows cover art to be embedded as a metadata tag within the file.  If you're using iTunes to get the artwork however, iTunes does store the image in the external iTunes database IF:

(a) iTunes automatically retrieves the artwork from the Gracenote database when ripping

OR

(b) The Get Artwork command is manually executed after ripping

In either case, if the image is simply manually copied from the Artwork tab of a single file then pasted right back into the the Artwork tab with all album files selected, the artwork will now be stored internally in each song file.

It only takes 10 or 15 seconds for this extra manual step, but then the tagged files with artwork can be read by any other music player software that can play AIFF files.

Steve

ozoid

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:29 am »
Thanks, Steve. But with over a TB of music, that would be a lot to catch up.

cody69

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:09 am »
A few years ago, it sounded like a Mac Mini was a great way to go as a source. Is this still the case?
There are a lot of options available... and personal preferences often dictate... but if you're using Apple products today and like them, then absolutely -- a Mac Mini would make you a great music server. You've got some great feedback from others here already.

Do I need to send it out for mods, and what software should I use?
My advise is to take this one step at a time -- there's no need to rush. A stock mini, with external backup drive is a great place to start. Once you have your system up and running, you can then branch out and try different software players, etc.

Ideally I'd like to use my iPhone as a remote control.
The iPhone has a Remote app that works fine for this, and you can also control the server from other Apple products, such as your macbook.

Also, in case it is useful for you, Apple Express allows you to stream music wirelessly to systems located in other locations in your house.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:45 am »
Forgot to mention, but even a USB cable (computer to DAC) can make a difference.  Being new to USB audio I just completed a comparison of moderately priced cables, which like anything else is system and individual preference dependent.  I recommend taking advantage of The Cable Company's lending library to home audition before buying any cables.

Note: I'm old school, used zip cord and the freebie patch cords for many years, so still not willing to drop serious coin on cabling.