APC g5 or Panamax MR4300

rif

• Not a cowboy
APC g5 or Panamax MR4300
« on: 20 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm »
I'm trying to figure out which to buy. Both are about the same price on amazon.  I understand the differences in bells and whistles, but the rest is marketing/beyond my ability to filter out true meaning.

The apc does have 2 nice features - it can turn on outlets in a sequence with delays, and an lcd to display info.

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2015, 12:12 am by rif »

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: APC g5 or Panamax MR4300
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2015, 02:36 pm »
I'd say a used Surgex SX1115RT, but that's just me :) 

I do have a Monster 2500 with the turn-on delay, and it's kind of cool for switching power amplifiers, but I wouldn't trust anything with MOVs after a certain amount of time for surge suppression.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2015, 03:28 pm »
I'd say a used Surgex SX1115RT, but that's just me :) 

I'm really hesitant about buying used - you never know what its been through.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2015, 04:39 pm »
I'm really hesitant about buying used - you never know what its been through.

I've seen ZeroSurge/Brickwall/Surgex type products go through some things that would smoke MOV-based suppressors - it's pretty hard to kill them with anything short of a direct strike.

When I was in commercial A/V, Furmans used to be what would come back the most with the magic smoke let out.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2015, 04:58 pm »
If you go used you might want to confirm whether or not the equipment loss coverage clause that these things typically have is still applicable though I have to say that I think in most cases the fine print says something like you need to file a claim with your insurance company so really all the surge protector company is covering is the deductible on your insurance policy.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2015, 05:23 pm »
Power conditioners are all about 'bells & whistles' !
There is no defined component such as a power conditioner, so each manufacture if free to add or subtract features, as they wish.