Room node issue

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Room node issue
« on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:51 pm »
I have set up the Wedgies and 3x8 bass units in my living room for a demo this afternoon. The total room size is 20' x 25'. The listening area is half that (20' 12.5') the open half of the room is to the left. This means no left wall for reflections.

The right speaker is almost 3' in from the side wall but in it's current position (center of H-Frame 3.5' off the front wall) is is adjacent to a 3' opening into the foyer.

The seating position is 12' into the room.

There is a 10dB spike from 50Hz to 60HZ. If I set the amps to be flat to 30Hz then the 50-60Hz spike makes the bass sound bloated. If I cut the bass back so it doesn't  sound bloated there isn't much below 50Hz.

The room doesn't have any acoustical treatment aside from the normal stuff in a living room: carpeted floors, overstuffed 3 seat sofa, a couple of chairs and 4 bookshelves in a L configuration behind the sofa along the back wall.

I have the HX300 amps so no PEQ to cut this back.

Any ideas on how to tame this node?

Mike

Captainhemo

Re: Room node issue
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2015, 05:09 pm »
Mike, are those measurements taken at the listening postions (I'm assuming so).  Have you tried a bit closer/further away ? Is it possible to move the seating postion  just for the audition  if it helps ? 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2015, 05:46 pm »
Corner bass traps?  This room is similar to Danny's living room.  He has bass traps in the corners, adsorption on the rear walls, and maybe a diffuser or two.  He will probably chime in soon.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2015, 05:51 pm »
Corner bass traps?  This room is similar to Danny's living room.  He has bass traps in the corners, adsorption on the rear walls, and maybe a diffuser or two.  He will probably chime in soon.

Ideally,this would  be best  but probably not going to happen for today's audioition.   Any nice room pillows or anything you could  place in that corner  by the one H' rame and / or  the one rear corner ?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2015, 06:13 pm »
Roll up a comforter(S) and put them in the corners. A roll of sealed fiberglass will work as well.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2015, 06:15 pm »
Pillows, sleeping bags, the cushions on that stuffed couch, etc.  If you can put it over your mouth and if muffles the sound coming out of it, pile it up in the corners.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2015, 10:17 pm »
Thanks guys. I had some moving blankets. I rolled three of them around a 4' tall shipping box some veneer came in and put that in one corner and draped three more moving blankets over a folding table and stood it up in the other corner.

I stacked four pillows behind each speaker. This tamed 4-5dB of the peak but took most of the life out of the sound. I removed the pillows and recovered the liveliness of the sound. Just had to live with the rest of the peak.

The demo went very well. We have another OB and especially OB bass convert.

These wedgies and 3x8 H-Frame bass units really shine in this room. Plenty of bass output in a 5000 cu ft room. The demo has been over for 45 min but I'm still listening to music.

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2015, 11:29 pm »
2 possible solutions - get a bass trap tuned to that specific frequency from GIK, or kick the Hypex amps to the curb and get the ones with EQ.  Or both!  Haha.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2015, 01:27 am »
2 possible solutions - get a bass trap tuned to that specific frequency from GIK, or kick the Hypex amps to the curb and get the ones with EQ.  Or both!  Haha.

Kick $600 worth of brand new amps to the curb!? Yeah right  :?

No, really, if I worked at it enough, and had any clue what I was doing, I might be able to fix it with room treatment. Also, I know there is tech out there that might work such as the DSPeaker Anitmode 2.0 Dual Core but @ $1,100 it costs almost as much as three A370PEQ amps. 

Though at this point it is moot. The demo is over, I have broken the Wedgie system down, got my wife's N3TL HT system back up and running and except for wrestling the two bass units up the stairs, have everything back in its original itsy-bitsy-tiny-weenie room (no yellow polka-dot bikini here)  :green:

I am going to need to figure this out at some point, especially if I continue to do demos and take them to shows.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2015, 01:46 am »

No, really, if I worked at it enough, and had any clue what I was doing, I might be able to fix it with room treatment. Also, I know there is tech out there that might work such as the DSPeaker Anitmode 2.0 Dual Core but @ $1,100 it costs almost as much as three A370PEQ amps. 

Mike

Youcould sell the HX300's and buy a pair of the A370PEQ's ...., problem solved

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2015, 01:51 am »

This!

The cool thing about OB bass is that it works so well in most rooms, you'll almost never need more than a single EQ boost or cut to get near perfect response.  And that's exactly what the A370PEQ's give you.  Plus some very cool Q controls and rumble filters. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2015, 02:28 am »

Jay,

True enough and I am certainly open to this option.

This!

The cool thing about OB bass is that it works so well in most rooms, you'll almost never need more than a single EQ boost or cut to get near perfect response.  And that's exactly what the A370PEQ's give you.  Plus some very cool Q controls and rumble filters. 

Tyson,

I agree about the controls. I have an A370PEQ3 amp in my Rythmik F12 subwoofer.

Mike

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2015, 02:49 am »
I find it very easy to spend money for someone else :P

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2015, 03:29 am »
I find it very easy to spend money for someone else :P

:lol: :lol:

bdp24

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2015, 10:59 am »

Though at this point it is moot. The demo is over, I have broken the Wedgie system down, got my wife's N3TL HT system back up and running and except for wrestling the two bass units up the stairs, have everything back in its original itsy-bitsy-tiny-weenie room (no yellow polka-dot bikini here)  :green:

I am going to need to figure this out at some point, especially if I continue to do demos and take them to shows.

Mike
Mike, if you're going to be demoing regularly, the Dual Core might be a good investment. It is really effective at dealing with all the modes in a room, regardless of it's three dimensions. It is also a pre-amp with level attenuation, a D-A converter, and many other functions. I love it! Give Tim Ryan (U.S. importer Simplifi) a call---he was selling them at T.H.E. Show in Irvine two weeks ago for $900.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2015, 07:17 pm »
First of all you need to determine if this is from the left speaker or the right speaker. Be sure to measure and look at each side independently.

And it can likely be fixed to a large degree with the right room treatment.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2015, 08:22 pm »
First of all you need to determine if this is from the left speaker or the right speaker. Be sure to measure and look at each side independently.

And it can likely be fixed to a large degree with the right room treatment.

I hadn't thought about checking the speakers individually. If it only coming from one speaker, how do you go about figuring out what to change?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2015, 09:54 pm »
I hadn't thought about checking the speakers individually. If it only coming from one speaker, how do you go about figuring out what to change?

Ha, if you check them both at the same time then you get a false reading. Where they are in phase with one another you get a peak, and where they are out of phase you get a null (comb filtering).

You have to measure them one at a time.

The only way you can know what to change is to first know where the problem is coming from.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2015, 10:04 pm »
Thanks,

I'll check that out in a few days after I get caught up on my day job.

guest61169

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2015, 11:59 pm »
Put a sound level meter on a tripod at your current listening position and using a test CD, move your listening position until the peak goes down.  Try moving closer first.