Hello. FWIW, I thought I'd introduce myself.

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Hello. FWIW, I thought I'd introduce myself.
« on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:18 pm »
First, I'm 71 years old and have been retired (accounting manager in industry) since age 54.  I love big-orchestra Classical and film music, small-group jazz, a little country-western (NOT the current country-rock), and a little big-band jazz.  I've been an audiofool since my teens and have spent many-ten$-of-thou$and$ on MANY-different systems over the years.  The last 10 years or so I've fallen under the spell of Sonic Craft's Jeffrey Glowacki, and he has helped me improve the sounds of my systems dramatically.  My current system can be viewed here...
http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142
...and here.
http://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=707
Is sounds simply excellent to me and many others--big, spacious, excellent bass in definition and extension, very natural, clean MR and treble, and very transparent.

The screen is 8 feet wide (NOT diagonal) and in Panavision ratio of 2.35:1; I operate my Epson projector to project a constant-height image of about 41 inches.  At my about-10' viewing distance, it gives me a viewing angle of about 42 degrees laterally, considerable wider than that of most hometheaters.

The only projects left to do are three parts upgrades, in the crossovers and wiring of the main speakers, in the powersupplies of the First Watt J2s, and in the analog-output circuitry of the Oppo 105D; I don't know how much of that I'm willing to do or have done, since my system is the best I've ever heard, bar none...but I built it for my likes and dislikes, so it certainly ought to 'fit'.

I like my reproduced music, tonally, with some warmth in the upper-bass/lower-MR and slightly less treble than 'flat', because that's the way I hear live music, and I hear a lot of that.  I love the spaciousness of multichannel recordings by PentaTone, Channel Classics, BIS, TELARC, OEHMS, etc.  I HATE the sounds of instruments that are located in the middle or rear of the orchestra microphoned and knob-twiddled so that they're in my face, and I suppose that's just one reason I hate pop music so much--ALL of it is engineered to be in one's face.

I believe that ANY change to a music-reproduction system changes its sounds, whether I can hear that change or not.  I believe that minute changes in a system are cumulative and that's one of the reasons that my system sounds as good as it does.  Said another way, I'm willing to make many changes on faith--that it improves the sounds of the system--and sure enough, they have.   :D

I believe that the measurists' creed that if they can't measure a difference, that difference doesn't exist is the height of arrogance and ignorance.  What that creed requires is that they believe that their techniques and machines are perfect, and that is not now, nor ever has been or will be true.

I've come late to believing in the importance of clean AC power, but I'm sure there now.   :?

------------------------------------

I'm proud that this forum is peopled by nice folk who are polite and reasonable, and I hope it stays that way.

Good listening, and don't forget the importance of recalibrating your ears with REAL music often. 
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2015, 05:06 pm by jeffreybehr »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Hello. FWIW, I thought I'd introduce myself.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:02 am »
Well said.

Welcome.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:09 am »
In your photos you have a picture of the incoming power to your Audience unit. The caption says "common mode choke" but it's just a ferrite bead the wires are wrapped around. You know, since you're the mod now....  :thumb:

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2015, 06:47 am »
In your photos you have a picture of the incoming power to your Audience unit. The caption says "common mode choke" but it's just a ferrite bead the wires are wrapped around. You know, since you're the mod now....  :thumb:

Well, being the facilitator sure doesn't make me any smarter.   :?

Is this...

...the pic you're referencing?  My engineering buddies tell me that winding the Line and Neutral around a ferrite like that makes in a CMC.  Does it or does it not?

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2015, 06:48 am »

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2015, 04:25 pm »
Jeffrey,

Welcome aboard!
Your demonstration of forbearance and courtesy is very impressive....

Regards,
Paul

EDIT: and you've lovely and fascinating system. The real question about the system is - does it have a good beat, and can you dance to it?
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2015, 05:53 pm by Occam »

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2015, 05:16 pm »
That’s one hell of a system you got there Jeffrey, I’m impressed
and that doesn’t happen to much for me anymore … Well done..

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2015, 05:42 pm »
Welcome Jeffrey,
look like we have both the same hobbies:
Music and photography.

Guy 13
Previously on planet Vietnam,
but now, back home - Montreal, Canada.

P.S.
May I/we know where you live, because as per the picture,
I can only think that you live in the middle of nowhere or in some kind of desert... :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2015, 07:13 pm »

Is this...

...the pic you're referencing?  My engineering buddies tell me that winding the Line and Neutral around a ferrite like that makes in a CMC.  Does it or does it not?

In a sense, but it appears to be ferrite material. Three windings would do very little for common mode noise, especially if there's a lack of iron. However as a resistor that burns off RF via skin effect, as all ferrite devices do, it'll work relative to coverage area. It's more convience in shape and dual use. As a CMC it'd be less than .8mh if it were even it were a core meant for it. They simply would have used a CMC for high ampere, if that was the intent.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2015, 07:23 pm »
Welcome Jeffrey,
look like we have both the same hobbies:
Music and photography.

Guy 13
Previously on planet Vietnam,
but now, back home - Montreal, Canada.

P.S.
May I/we know where you live, because as per the picture,
I can only think that you live in the middle of nowhere or in some kind of desert... :lol:
Itis not that far away from the desert we live in - New Mexico.  Next door actually.  8)  (Arizona)

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:32 pm »
Jeffrey,
Welcome aboard!
Your demonstration of forbearance and courtesy is very impressive....

Regards,
Paul

EDIT: and you've lovely and fascinating system. The real question about the system is - does it have a good beat, and can you dance to it?

TYVM for your kind comment.

On good beats and dancing, no, I can't and wouldn't dance to it...but that was a joke, right?   :lol:

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:33 pm »
That’s one hell of a system you got there Jeffrey, I’m impressed and that doesn’t happen to much for me anymore … Well done..

TYVM; I appreciate your comments.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:45 pm »

Is this...

This is a AC line?
By little I understand of AC lines there is no fixes neutral and live poles, since they vary according to the freq 60Hz.
In the past I tested AQ RFI and dont liked it.

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:54 pm »
Welcome Jeffrey, look like we have both the same hobbies: Music and photography.

Guy 13
Previously on planet Vietnam but now, back home--Montreal, Canada.

P.S.
May I/we know where you live, because as per the picture, I can only think that you live in the middle of nowhere or in some kind of desert... :lol:

Yes, fotografy since 2000, mostly landscapes.  Here... http://s89.photobucket.com/user/jeffreybehr/library/Landscapes?sort=3&page=1
...is some of my stuff.  My enthusiasm for fotografy comes and goes; currently it's up, and tomorrow I'm leaving for a short trip to the Palouse area of Washington.
https://luminous-landscape.com/the-palouse-3/
https://luminous-landscape.com/the-palouse-2/
https://luminous-landscape.com/steptoe-butte-top-of-the-palouse/
Am shooting with a Samsung NX1 with the 2 Samsung Premium lenses plus the 2 short Canon tilt-shift lenses mounted on a dumb-adapter.  Have preordered a Canon 5DSR (and have had lots of Canon predecessors from 2000's D30 to a 5D3).  Lenses for the 5DSR will include Canon 16-35/4/IS/L, 24-70/4/IS/L, 17TS-E, 24TS-E-II, and 70-300/L/IS.

Will be going to a W/S at Silo City, Buffalo, NY in September--I LOVE rusty, decrepit, old stuff!

A desert, yes--the Sonoran--but definitely in the middle of a big city, Phoenix.
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2015, 10:14 pm by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2015, 10:02 pm »
This is a AC line?  Yes.

By little I understand of AC lines there is no fixes neutral and live poles, since they vary according to the freq 60Hz.  I believe you're thinking about signal polarity.  There are definitely live or 'hot' and neutral or 'return' and 'earth' or 'ground' conductors used in AC power.

In the past I tested AQ RFI and don't liked it.  How did the music sound different when using AQ's ferrites on AC cable?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2015, 10:10 pm »
At my test I put one AQ RF filter at the power cable from a proaudio amp w/a pro audio FR driver and the sound becomes more veiled and less musical.
Short after I sold it.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2015, 11:25 pm »
If the ferrite surrounds all the current carrying conductors, then yes it a common mode choke.

But while a ferrite appears to be a very simple thing, there is a whole lot to using them correctly.
As I often write:
The go-to expert on ferrites and all thing about interference is Jim Brown. Mr. Brown is past committee chair of the AES committee on EMI/RFI.

The long paper on ferrites:
"RFI, Ferrites, and Common Mode Chokes For Hams" (skip the Ham info)
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and a simpler paper:
"RF Interference in Audio Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AES-RFI-SF08.pdf

and
"Understanding How Ferrites Can Prevent and Eliminate RF Interference to Audio Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

many more Jim Brown papers:
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

In the photo - why isn't the green Safety Ground wire connected?

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2015, 11:46 pm »
Well said.

Welcome.

Ditto! Welcome, Jeffrey!

Cheers,
Pete

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2015, 12:02 am »
You can call it one, but for example here's a 1mh without the heavy insulation.

The benefits of the Audience 3 wrap isn't going to show in common mode attenuation for much of anything. I'd call it a filter.

And I'd never recommend a full 360* ferrite device. My results have always been like FullRangeMan.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2015, 12:12 am »
What you call a filter and what an expert like Mr. Brown calls a filter may be two different things.
It's obviously designed for a very different frequency range.