Speakersstands.

jorgen

Speakersstands.
« on: 11 May 2015, 09:34 am »
Hi guys
Im expecting to get a pair of monitorspeakers this autumn. (actually hoping to personally pick them up when i go to New York in september, if Louis can make the time) And I want to ask you more experienced  guys what is important to remember when Im looking for stands for these speakers. As the whipped man I am (LoL) WAF also should taken into consideration.
I would prefer a more minimalistic solution, maybe some sort of wood or even glass, but of course, I dont want the stands to give me less of the good sound im looking forward to. Is it most common to have the speakers on spikes as well as spikes on the stands? I guess im asking what qualities are important, including hight, weight

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Speakersstands.
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 12:20 pm »
Height = aim for listening ear height or slightly lower

Weight = more the better

Minimalist design = black wooden box (same width/depth as speaker) filled with clean sand, use blue tack between speakers/stand

For stability, wider the base the better, again heavier the better

For sonics, spike to concrete slab, float on wooden floors (many will debate this)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2015, 02:39 pm »
Hi Jorgen,

If it's the Super Alnico Monitor, the 20" Skylan 4 post.  If it's the Super 8, then the Skylan two post that pictures will be forthcoming for.  The speaker needs no spikes in either direction (the stands come with Sorbothane pads, or optional Q-Bricks can be ordered), and the stands come with spikes for carpet and floor pads for hardwood.  There are two ways of thinking as far as monitor stands go: ballast filled and heavy or lightweight and lossy.  I run my Skylans without ballast but have rubber dampers inside the posts for the tie rods.  Another nice stand which is very minimalist is the Something Solid stand.  Both Skylan and Something Solid can be made to fit your monitor.

2-bit Joe

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2015, 02:28 pm »
I have a pair of Super 3i speakers sitting on inexpensive wooden Sanus speaker stands.  The Sanus stands work reasonably well.

If I had it to do over again, I'd pay Louis a little extra for some floor standing speakers, and skip the whole issue of speaker stands.  The high end stands are pricey.   I'd rather spend the money on speakers, than speaker stands.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2015, 06:51 pm »
I have a pair of Super 3i speakers sitting on inexpensive wooden Sanus speaker stands.  The Sanus stands work reasonably well.

If I had it to do over again, I'd pay Louis a little extra for some floor standing speakers, and skip the whole issue of speaker stands.  The high end stands are pricey.   I'd rather spend the money on speakers, than speaker stands.
Hi 2-bit Joe and welcome to the Omega AudioCircle. 

Your Super 3i Monitors can sound better on better stands.  Skylan makes stands to fit your speakers (if they are the current 3i) and Noel at Skylan recommends filling them with rice.  Even though the Super 3i isn't an expensive speaker, it still deserves good stands and your Sanus are likely holding them back.  Even though the Super 3i is only priced beginning at $595 it's comparable to speakers costing 4-5 times more.

If you have the older 3i which is 1/2" narrower, Noel can still make the top plate to fit.  If you do have the old 3i, I suggest you get the RS5 driver - it's a drop in, and a quantum leap over the 4.5' HempCone.