some help choosing a preamp & cd source

s00ka

« on: 30 Sep 2004, 07:51 pm »
hi there - i'm new the the forum so i apologize in advance if there was a thread similar to this already posted that i haven't come across yet..

i recently bought a pair of b&w 804's and a rotel rb 1080. my problem is now selecting a preamp and a cd source. i'm having a difficult time finding one as my resources are limited as in retailers in my area. (there is actually only one retailer in my area and they have limited items so it makes it difficult to go check them out)

i had looked into the rotel rc1070 but i'd really like balanced outputs for the preamp.

ideally, i'd like to spend no more than about $500 for the cd source and probably under $700 for the preamp.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  thx! :)

Psychicanimal

« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2004, 08:06 pm »

mca

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2004, 10:26 pm »
My preference for a Rotel/B&W combination would be to get some tubes somewhere in the chain. You may be able to locate a Ah! Tjoeb tube CD player in the 500.00 range. I don't have any experience with a tube preamp, so someone might want to chime in on that.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2004, 10:50 pm »
Quote from: mca
My preference for a Rotel/B&W combination would be to get some tubes somewhere in the chain. You may be able to locate a Ah! Tjoeb tube CD player in the 500.00 range. I don't have any experience with a tube preamp, so someone might want to chime in on that.

One benefit of the Njoe Tjoeb is that it has remote volume control, so a preamp could be permanently or temporarily  excluded. (I've tried that configuration but have always preferred a tube preamp in the chain, using a Melos SHA-1 and then a BAT). The SHA-1 fits in your price range but lacks balanced output; the BAT is balanced but out of the price range.

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2004, 11:20 pm »
I agree that you should get very musical upstream components... be it something tubed or... a Scott Nixon non-oversampling DAC (www.scott-nixon.com).  Non-oversampling dacs sound very musical, natural and coherent, and I chose to keep my Scott Nixon over a highly modded ART DI/O (which is a giant killer of a dac).  The standard version costs $250 and should do great.  If you want a bit of tube goodness and the flexibility to try different tubes, then the TubeDac adds a tube to the standard dac and is $400.  The Panasonic S47 DVD-A player ($99) and Toshiba 4960 universal player ($149) are said to do quite well as transports.  So, you can have a very good and musical front end within your $500 budget.  

A tube pre would be a good idea as well.  I have a tube pre as well as a Tube Dac.  First off, I know that your Rotel amp has balanced inputs... but is it a true balanced circuit?  Often a balanced connector is connected to a single-ended circuit... perhaps you can do a bit of research on the 'net on this.  

If you Rotel does not have a balanced circuit, then you will have many more preamps to choose from as balanced outputs are not common.  By the way, if you find a preamp with balanced outputs... make sure it has a balanced circuit as well!  

How you require a remote on your preamp?  If so, that will further limit your ability to get a great sounding pre for $700, even used.

If you don't need a remote or can live without balanced outputs, the Eastern Electric Minimax tube pre is terrific.  Their Minimax cd player is also said to sound excellent (though it is a bit above your budget).

Finally, do plan on getting a good power conditioner somewhere down the road.  Your cd player / dac / preamp -- and especially your ears -- will certainly thank you for it.  There is a lot of snake oil in the power conditioner market.  I myself favor balanced power as the benefits of balanced power on delicate electronics are scientifically proven and are listed in the U.S. national electrical code.  You can read up about this at http://www.b-p-t.com/  

The now discontinued BPT BP-1 Jr would do well for source components -- check on www.audiogon.com for a used one.  I like the Blue Circle Music Ring balanced power supply.  Transcendent Sound makes a similar product for just $399 (though you will need to use an extension cord as it only has 1 outlet).  

Good luck!

Rich Carlson

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2004, 11:48 pm »
You could probably find a used Rotel RC-1090 (which does have balanced outputs) in your price range.  The Forte 40 (no remote) and 44 (remote) preamps are likely available used for even less, and they were very good sounding preamps with balanced outputs.

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2004, 12:07 am »
This place has some interesting exotics you might consider:
https://www.nysound.com/
I bought a CD player and preamp from him.

Joe m.

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2004, 12:34 am »
The Shengya tubed cd player seems like a great buy $350 (discounted).

Gordy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2004, 12:47 am »
Several people here at AC have Philly Audio 7A's and 7B's from NYSound and are extremely pleased with them.  They respond very well to tube upgrades as well :D.  If you do a search, there is a comparison with the 7A, the Mini and several other pre's written by Carlman I believe?  Sorry, I can't recall the thread...

s00ka

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2004, 03:26 am »
thank you SO much for your responses!  i've really been struggling for the past couple of days as far as which direction to head - i definitely am interested in putting a tube component in my system though.  as soon as i get my lonely speakers matched up to something, i'll let you know!  :mrgreen:

Psychicanimal

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2004, 03:50 am »
Quote from: s00ka
thank you SO much for your responses!  i've really been struggling for the past couple of days as far as which direction to head - i definitely am interested in putting a tube component in my system though.  as soon as i get my lonely speakers matched up to something, i'll let you know!  :mrgreen:

Careful w/ toobs!  Most tube stuff is colored, lacks extension at frequency extremes and can alter soundstage (and are also used to mask deficiencies in proper power delivery/noise control measures).  You should have witnessed what my $249 Channel Islands passive pre did to a $3500 Presence Audio tube linestage (w/ a HUGE outboard power supply).  It wasn't  funny and the difference was not small.  That's why I gave you the link.  My system is set up 100% solid state and there is no glare, artifacts, extraneous noises, nothing--it runs off a 220V dedicated line w/ 220V/110V isolation transformer/filters.  Save your money for power delivery/ noise control, vibration control and room acoustics.

Jay is right, the power amp might have balanced inputs but not be balanced in its circuit topology.  If so, unbalanced will do...

With psychic power and primal intensity,

P/A

JCC

SAS Audio Labs 10A
« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2004, 12:42 pm »
I own a CI Audio VPC-1. I also own a Sony TA-P9000ES modified by Stan Warren. Whenever I have the occasion to switch units, I always impressed at the Superiority of the modified Sony. Dynamics and details disappear with the passive unit.

I recently had occasion to compare a Minimax preamp to an SAS Audio 10A. The SAS unit was certainly superior to the Minimax. So much so that the owner of the Minimax was astounded. It was like removing a cloud in allowing dynamics and details when we switched to the 10A.

I will soon be auditioning the SAS Audio 10A in my system. I will compare it to my preamps. I will have additional comments when this occurs.