Tivo with a mind of its own???

Tonto Yoder

« on: 29 Sep 2004, 11:54 am »
I wanted to record Tom Waits on Letterman last night but thought I was running out of hard drive space so didn't click "Record" until Waits actually appeared (maybe 20 minutes left in the show).  When I woke up this morning, I have the whole show recorded. Does Tivo actuallly record material as you watch, but erase the hard drive if you don't actively record???

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:09 pm »
You must have been watching Letterman a few times.  Tivo "thinks" it's one of your favorites and records it over older recorded shows that it recorded on its own.  It's a great feature except when I get my inlaws for a week now and then.  After they leave, I have to reset or I get Matlock and Wheels of Fortune over and over.......

shokunin

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:13 pm »
I have a bunch of DirecTV Tivo's and if you record a show in the middle of the show, it'll record everything in the buffer along with whatever is coming up.  So if you were watching letterman the whole time and didn't change channels and then hit record, it saved your buffer (up to 30min).

Now if you had changed channels right before Tom came on and then switched back to Leno, the buffer would be gone and it would only have recorded from that point on.

I don't know if Stand alone tivo's work the same or not..

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2004, 12:35 am »
Quote from: shokunin
I have a bunch of DirecTV Tivo's and if you record a show in the middle of the show, it'll record everything in the buffer along with whatever is coming up.  So if you were watching letterman the whole time and didn't change channels and then hit record, it saved your buffer (up to 30min).

Now if you had changed channels right before Tom came on and then switched back to Leno, the buffer would be gone and it would only have recorded from that point on.

I don't know if Stand alone tivo's work the same or not..

That might be right--Waits actually was INTERVIEWED as well as him performing a song, so the 20 minutes I intended to record and an extra 30 minutes might be about what I ended up with.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2004, 01:21 am »
Quote from: shokunin

I have two DirecTV Tivos and they both have a 30min rec buffer, so if
your watching a live channel you can stop/rewind it at any time, when
you hit rec it go's back to the end of the buffer and starts rec there.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2004, 01:41 am »
Thanks for reassuring me on this, but I'm STILL pretty sure my Tivo ordered some Human Growth Hormone, an Oreck air purifier AND a natural bra (I think it's watching those infomercials while I sleep).  Fortunately, the Natural Bra makes a pretty good isolation device for my TT. :D

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2004, 01:52 am »
I guess you could order different cup sizes based on the weight of your TT. Probably need a pair of C cup inserts for one of big uns'. 8)

Have you ever head the Steve Goodman song Vegematic? Very similar to your Tivo going on a shopping spree.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2004, 10:26 pm »
Never heard it before, but I'll try to check it out.